Author Topic: "The Institute" St Columb Major  (Read 3690 times)

Offline smallholderitm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
"The Institute" St Columb Major
« on: Wednesday 01 January 14 10:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello again
This follows on from the previous post regarding graves.
My relative lived in Buckfastleigh, Devon but died in the above.  Can anyone tell me if there are any records in existence for this place about 1914.
Her name was Elizabeth Gidley nee Chaff.  Her husband Charlie was a seaman RN and I cannot find her in 1911, nor can I find her daughter Mary Ann who in 1918 married Richard John Stanley Penna of Whitewater Farm, Mawgan in Pydar.  The above marriage may explain why she was in Cornwall, although she died 4 years before it took place.
Many thanks
Smallholderitm
Brooke and Fitton in Huddersfield area of Yorkshire
Chaff(e) in Buckfastleigh in Devon
Page in Northampton and Manchester
Fall in Ripon
Wetherald in County Durham

Offline everlea

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: "The Institute" St Columb Major
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 11:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi - if this was the local Workhouse, the records are held at the Cornwall Records Office.
Regards
Everlea.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 January 14 19:11 GMT (UK) »
If you search in the 1911 in St Columb using no name but the postal address "institute" you will get one household result.

I don't know what you can take from it, but it seems possibly relevant.

A bit of googling then found this:

http://www.cornwall.gov.uk/idoc.ashx?docid=1839ca82-9b6a-4a28-b4d8-cf9e52f9a183&version=-1

"... The most notable example is Bank House, facing Bank Street/Market Place, designed by William White and completed in 1887. ...  Opposite Bank House, the former St Columb Gallery and Museum was built in the Gothic style from brick with granite dressings as the St Columb Institute and is dated 1874."

It's a listed builidng, satellite view here, which also shows Bank House:

http://wikimapia.org/17758803/St-Columb-Gallery-and-Museum

So if that is your "The Institute" there seems to be local historical knowledge. The St Columb Institute Trust is a registered charity:

http://www.aliveandgiving.com/CharityDetails.aspx?id=175127&charityno=1001164&name=ST%20COLUMB%20INSTITUTE%20TRUST&l=S&pg=321

In 1881, Bank St was in districts 1 and 2 of St Columb, the two sides of the street. In District 2, Ring of Bells inn is 2 Bank St (east side) and it shows on the map linked above as opposite the Institute, close to Union Square as in 1881. Here we are. The last address on Market Place, in District 1 in 1881, is Mary Dyer, caretaker of the St Columb Institute. You can see it on Google Maps street view, greying brick building with obvious Gothic windows and the 1874 marker above a door, in the intersection. It really looks like a row of dwellings more than anything.

This seems to be almost certainly what "The Institute" was, so I would not assume it to be an institution in the sense of a care facility. It was quite possibly just her address. ;)
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 January 14 19:19 GMT (UK) »
I'm a little confused now since this property listing calls the building Bond House (photo here) and it consists of flats:

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/house-prices/detailMatching.html?prop=10999425&sale=33560840&country=england

But all indications (Gothic, 1874, etc.) point to it being the Institute. Oh, I see. The article linked above calls it the former (as of today) St Columb Gallery and Museum.

HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline smallholderitm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 January 14 14:11 GMT (UK) »
Hello Janey
Very many thanks for the information.  It has given me more to go on, especially the links.  I much appreciate the time you have taken to find out the info.
Very best wishes
Angela
Fall in Ripon

Offline smallholderitm

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 January 14 14:12 GMT (UK) »
Hello Everlea
Many apologies for being so late in responding to your post.  Thanks so much for taking the time.
Best wishes

Angela
Fall in Ripon

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 January 14 14:46 GMT (UK) »
You're welcome, Angela! It's always fun looking into things like that -- from over here on the other side of the Atlantic, with ancestors in the St Columb area about 200 years ago. ;)

Offline Saltydog

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 May 19 11:24 BST (UK) »
Just come across RootsChat while trying to dig up some info about 'the Institute' at St Columb Major, Kernow. My wife's family goes back there for centuries, and doing a bit more ancestry-filling, we came across her great grandfather's census entry for 1911. His home is listed simply as: 'Institute, Bank Street' and occupation as 'scavenger'!
That suggests the family had fallen upon hard times, as for all his working life he had been a groom. There was a 'poorhouse' or workhouse in St Columb, and these were sometimes called institutes, or institutions, but this was a purpose-built place, and became a hospital. So, not that. There was also The Mechanics Institute. But these were places of learning, further education and the betterment of the working class. Not that either. I am supposing that this was some sort of charitable organisation giving succour to the needy, and that my wife's forbear and his spouse had in some way fallen on hard times!
After trawling through many leads, I have however now positively identified 'The Institute' - picture and details on the following:
https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/media/3638511/St-Columb-Major-CAA-March-2010-Part1.pdf
Quite what its role was is unclear, but it was built 1874 and later (obviously much after 1911) became the St Columb Gallery and Museum, also now defunct. That does, however, suggest a place of learning rather than succour. Best source for a clear answer no doubt is the Cornwall History Society.
Hope this is of some help!

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 May 19 18:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Saltydog, I guess you didn't notice that I had posted most of that info already. ;)

-- Gothic building, 1874, St Columb Institute, former St Columb Museum and Gallery, opposite Bank House ... and I think I referred to your grandfather's census entry, without naming him. :)

Did you have a look on Google Maps streetview?

I do think that the present-day St Columb Institute Trust, which I mentioned above, might be able to provide some info about the Institute's purpose and origins.

https://www.charitycheckout.ie/charity/st-columb-institute-trust/
http://opencharities.org/charities/1001164

There is contact info here:
https://olib.uk/charity/html/1001164/st-columb-institute-trust/