Author Topic: Ironsides of New Deer.  (Read 8781 times)

Offline ichiefeet

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ironsides of New Deer.
« on: Wednesday 01 January 14 12:19 GMT (UK) »
My Grandmother was Jane Ironside. Jane was born at 05.30hrs 13th August 1887. Her Father - William Murdoch [Farm servant]and Margaret Ironside, her Mother[Domestic Servant]Never Married. Jane's Birth was registered at New Deer on September 1st 1887.

I know very little about my G Gran Margaret Ironside. I've been to New deer Cemetery and had a look but couldn't find anything.

Further details can be found here: http://www2.tribalpages.com/family-tree/mailman814/447/110/Jane-Ironside-Family

I know someone in Strichen has made enquiries about my Gran [ Jane ] but as yet I haven't been able to make contact.

I have a few other questions but that's for later.  ;D

Many Thanks

Andrew Wright

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ironsides of New Deer.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 12:52 GMT (UK) »
Have you found your grandmother on the 1901 census? She appears as Jeannie Murdoch Ironside and is living with her maternal grandparents William and Margaret Ironside.

her grandfather William is a crofter and was born in Fyvie in 1829.

If we can trace William back in the census perhaps you could find approx birth for Jeannie's mum Margaret.

Hope this helps

Norma

Offline ichiefeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 13:17 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Norma. I didn't have much hope of a reply today, let alone so quickly. I'll chase that up and see what I can glean from the census of 1901.

Andrew

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to welcome you to Rootschat

There was a tree in Ancestry which showed William Ironside married a Margaret Webster. On Familysearch it shows a William Ironside and Margaret Webster had approx 8 children one being a Margaret born New Deer in 1862.

This Margaret is with her mum Margaret in the 1871 census at the same address as Jeannie was on the 1901 census.

Hope you can follow this. I would be inclined to think this is the family you are searching for.

Norma

Offline ichiefeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 13:29 GMT (UK) »
I found the entry. This is interesting. My Gran and it appears 2 other Grandaughters aged 11 and 4. were all living with their g/parents William and Margaret. They seem to have had 3 kids of their own inc 2 boys who were dumb/imbecilic. That fits right in with our heritage.... ;D

I'm intrigued by the middle names, since they tended to use the fathers surname as their middle name's!!! 3 different names there.

Offline ichiefeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 13:32 GMT (UK) »
I found the entry. This is interesting. My Gran and it appears 2 other Grandaughters aged 11 and 4. were all living with their g/parents William and Margaret. They seem to have had 3 kids of their own inc 2 boys who were dumb/imbecilic. That fits right in with our heritage.... ;D

I'm intrigued by the middle names, since they tended to use the fathers surname as their middle name's!!! 3 different names there.

Blimey. This is going to take a lot of work. Thank you for the help your giving me. I hate brick walls. However there is always someone with more savvy than me that's kind enough to help.

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 13:40 GMT (UK) »
It's not often I am able to help as someone more experienced normally gets there before me but guess they are all hung over lol. I love trying to solve puzzles. I would try and back up what you find with Certs etc. we really need to find Margarets death or marriage to confirm parents.

Norma

Offline higgsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 14:12 GMT (UK) »
I think I might have found Margaret (born 1862) in the 1891 census working at the lunatic asylum in Banff as a domestic servant. Cannot seem to find her on the 1901. So Inwould try and look for her marriage between those dates.

Norma

Offline ichiefeet

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 01 January 14 14:16 GMT (UK) »
wow Norma. Way to go. The lunatic asylum sounds right.  ;D

I have bought more credit for Scotland's People and will follow your pointers.

This could be interesting.