Author Topic: Richard Jenkins and Martha Cook  (Read 2353 times)

Offline clarejenkins

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard Jenkins and Martha Cook
« on: Thursday 02 January 14 01:32 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone direct me to the marriage of Richard Jenkins (b abt 1850) and Martha Cook (b abt 1803) in Monmouthshire or possible Gloucestershire - I can find nothing

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Richard Jenkins and Martha Cook
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 January 14 06:05 GMT (UK) »

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 January 14 07:09 GMT (UK) »
1872 marriage Llanfihangel Llantarnam, Monmouthshire, Wales
Richard Jenkins age 40 to Martha Crook says image viewable  on FindMyPast
(you will need credits to view)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KCTV-TZ9

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 02 January 14 07:15 GMT (UK) »
On the 1872 marriage cert both bride and groom made their mark instead of signing their names which might be why Martha's surname was recorded as Crook.  If you have not found a death for Richard Jenkins I presume there is no way of being certain of his age.

Offline clarejenkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 January 14 23:53 GMT (UK) »
I found that one but he seems to be too old - I have the certificate.  He was a miner and this one is a labourer.  However Martha has the right name for a father.  But pretty sure that Richard comes from a family of miners/colliers and this one has a father a gardener.  I have checked out Paul Jenkins and he doens;t seem to fi - but I could be totally on the wrong track.  Thanks for helping though - you could be right - I will just need to rethink a bit to see if it will fit in

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 January 14 05:55 GMT (UK) »
I looked at it from the other side and tried to find another couple that would fit the Richard and Martha who married in 1872.  However I couldn't find a Martha Crook pre1872 or the couple in 1881. I can't see an obvious Paul Jenkins either - an unusual name at the time - but he could have died.

I did find a Rich Jenkins in 1881 that would be about the right age for the marriage that I keep coming back to and will mention it just in case it is any use.

In 1881 he was listed as Rich Jenkins born 1829 Pontypool Monmouthshire.  He is listed as a coal miner as married but is not living with a wife and is lodging the Rowlands and Waters family https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XQ36-61C and  in 1891 census is listed as an uncle of the family and widowed.  Can't see this Richard Jenkins pre 1881

Good Luck Kay

Edit - I see there is a tree on Anc that lists Richard as born 1850  with father Thomas - living in Newland Glos in 1871, however the same Richard is still living with his family in 1881 in Newland listed as unmarried.  He dies possibly in 1881.

I sometimes think our ancestors are laughing at us trying to work out who they were  :)

Offline clarejenkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 January 14 15:49 GMT (UK) »
Kay that could be a good find as in 1881 census Martha is in the workhouse having a baby.    I had him down as being the Newlands one as the family names seemed to fit and in the 1881 census he is listed as an unemployed miner living back at home in Newlands and then there is a Richard Jenkins dying later that year from that address.  I thought thayt may have been why Martha had to remain in the workhouse after the birth of the baby who actually also died in August 1881. 
There is a Paul Jenkins who died in Abergavenny - I have tried reading his will but I don't think there is any connection - the Jenkins were definitely a colliery/ironworks family and prob went where the work was.
I agree they are proibably laughing their socks off !!

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 January 14 17:17 GMT (UK) »
In August 1859 in Bedwelty there is a marriage of a Richard Jenkins age 33 Collier father Morgan Jones Collier  to a Catherine Jones age 35 (both single and made their mark) with witnesses William and Elizabeth Rowlands which ties in with the Rowlands family that Rich Jenkins was living with in 1881.

This looks like the couple in 1871 in Bedwelty and by 1881 I can't see Catherine, but there is a possible death in Bedwelty in 1878 age 57

Richard Jenkin    43 b Abersychan, Monmouthshire Collier
Catherine Jenkin 49 b Tredegar, Monmouthshire
John Evans 30 Lodger
RG10 Piece: 5319 Folio: 14 Page: 21

Sadly I would think this makes the Rich Jenkins I found in 1881 an unlikely husband for Martha with his father listed as Morgan and his first wife probably being alive in 1872.

Offline clarejenkins

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 January 14 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Oh well yes that sound as though he is another red herring then.  Strange thing is I can't trace Martha after she leaves the workhouse in 1883 - although there is a chance she married again.  Not sure if she may be in a 1891 (I think) census living with a Mary Ann who seems to be an illegitimate daughter who lived with grandfather Christopher Cook.
Richard definitely married Martha Cook as I have birth certifcates for his first 2 children