Author Topic: Stephenson Family - Newcastle upon Tyne - Mid-1800s -  (Read 21603 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Stephenson Family - Newcastle upon Tyne - Mid-1800s -
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 05 January 14 19:07 GMT (UK) »
PS

I think that this is the 1910 that you have on your online tree:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MGW8-FMN

A good match with the 1880 one.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 05 January 14 19:10 GMT (UK) »
May I just ask then, is there a connection to Newcastle on Tyne, England or should it be just Newcastle West, Limerick?

Looking at Irish census indexes http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/ , the few Stephensons in Limerick (none in Newcastle West district) are all Roman Catholic in 1901.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mark Stephenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 05 January 14 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Gadget:  You are right that to does match well.  But I have little or no information on the sons.  Mary became an IHM sister and died in her 90s.  She and my father's sister Marie were contemporaries in the order.  Looks I like I've added more details to address, and thanks again.

Heywood:  Yes,  oral history is very clear that JPS was born in Ireland (presumably Newcastle West) to a Stephenson family that emigrated there from Newcastle upon Tyne.  My goal is to make the link all the way back.  I need to get his PA marriage certificate to see if his parents are identified, and from there see if there's a match to Griffith's Valuation.  With that in hand, I'll have some basic information to look at Newcastle upon Tyne to see how we fit in.  Does that explanation help?

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 05 January 14 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Mark ,
Do you know when Mary his wife died and estimated year if possible,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 05 January 14 19:27 GMT (UK) »
If you are looking in Ireland, as well as Stevenson and Stephenson also check for Stevens and Stephens- all can be used interchangeably.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Mark Stephenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 05 January 14 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Radcliff and Gadget: 

I made some progress using another person Helen Stephenson.  Richard M Stephenson had a son Richard, who married Ellen M. Stephenson (who was English).  They had a daughter Helen, who was my father's contemporary.  What is interesting and ties into Gadget's reference to the 1880 survey results is the 1940 census.

Listed as living on Aspen Street were Ellen (2609), Joseph A. (2613) and Richard M. (2615).  My father's older brother was Joseph Aloysius.  It fits well.  Ellen's husband was killed while working on the Pennsylvania Railroad and the 1940 census lists her as a widow.  I think that's enough data points to confirm this piece.

More directly, I do not have a date of date for Mary, JPS's wife.  I am visiting Old Cathedral Cemetary soon.  They have records there that I can look at.

Again, all, thanks for your interest and help.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 05 January 14 20:01 GMT (UK) »
Did Joseph die in 1888 aged 12 years,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 05 January 14 20:06 GMT (UK) »
Mark, please note that on both the censuses John's parents are given as born Ireland and not Newcastle upon Tyne, England. If you do trace the family  back to Newcastle upon Tyne, I promise to go and take photos of their birth places as I live there  :)

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 05 January 14 20:11 GMT (UK) »
Lucky you Gadget, visit often,