Author Topic: Stephenson Family - Newcastle upon Tyne - Mid-1800s -  (Read 21598 times)

Offline Mark Stephenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Stephenson Family - Newcastle upon Tyne - Mid-1800s -
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 05 January 14 20:27 GMT (UK) »
Gadget and Radcliff:

I'll buy the first round in Newcastle upon Tyne.  Just have to find some misplaced ancestors.

To address Radcliff's question, I don't have a good answer.  My guess is that it is not a match.  JPS and his wife Mary had 4 sons that I know of.  Richard (1873), William (1875), Edward (1882) and John (1885).  I am not aware of an earlier son.  I don't have the address from the census form but I would bet they are different.  If you look at the cemetery listed in the death certificate summary on Family Search, it names C.C.  I bet that's Cathedral Cemetery.  For your ease of reference, all of these people lived immediately north of what is now the Philadelphia Museum of Art.  Then, it was a reservoir.  The Cathedral Cemetery serviced this area.  That's also where JPS and Mary are buried.  I'll check and see if any other Stephensons are there.

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Sunday 05 January 14 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Mark

I think that this is the same family but am wondering if you might have confused the  generations

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/MXSD-WRR

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Sunday 05 January 14 21:36 GMT (UK) »
I think thre's an awful lot of confusion here  :-\

Online tree says John Stephenson died 1917 Philadelphia but that may not be correct (especially in view of 1920 census just posted).

The records I found that seem to be linked to the family place them in Ward 15 (roughly between the site of Philadelphia Museum of Art and Girard College).

JPS and his wife Mary had 4 sons that I know of.  Richard (1873), William (1875), Edward (1882) and John (1885).
... which is in contrast to 1910 census which lists John as 2 years younger than Richard (thus born c1875 rather than 1885).

There is a possible death for daughter Mary (shown in 1880 census)-
Mary Stevenson (c1877-1892)- parents John & Mary, 844 Bambrey St (ward 15) buried Cathedral Cemetery. Note: Bambrey St. is a few blocks north of Aspen.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JDLG-Z7M

Also one to keep in mind-
Joseph Stevenson (c1876-1888)- parents John & Mary 265 Bagoda (ward 15) buried Cathedral Cemetery.
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JNLV-N5C
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Sunday 05 January 14 21:38 GMT (UK) »
 265 Bagoda I was looking at a record with that on earlier,
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 05 January 14 21:40 GMT (UK) »
Reply #24, I think, asking about Joseph?

Forgot to add that all eveidence so far points to both John and his parents as being born in Ireland so if there is an english connection perhaps it's a generation or so futher back.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Sunday 05 January 14 21:52 GMT (UK) »
Death for a Mary Stephenson in 1908- born 12 Feb.1841 Ireland- address is 2521 Olive St. (Ward 15)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/JK3N-DNY

Other side of Schuykill (just below Zoo) but still 15th ward.

Offline Mark Stephenson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 05 January 14 23:27 GMT (UK) »
Aghadowey:  Your mention of Mary Stephenson at 2521 is very interesting.  To put things in some context, in 1940 the 2601 Parkway Condominium was built.  Before that, it was the Baldwin locomotive factory.  It's northern border was the 2600 block of Aspen.  John Patrick Stephenson lived with his son John at 2518 Meredith Street, which ran directly into 26th Street on Baldwin's eastern border.  Olive Street was cut off when the Reliance Insurance Building was built (its now part of the Philadelphia Art Museum) and parallels Meredith Street.  So you have five Stephenson households on three streets immediately next to each other, and within two blocks.  I can't say for sure what this Mary Stephenson's connection was but I expect to find one.

I checked your reference but did not see how you got the Olive Street Address.  Can you share that?

Thanks for a great find.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 05 January 14 23:37 GMT (UK) »
If you click on the link then look on the right side of the page click the bit where it says something like '.'- that will give you full details.

I know the locations are all in the same area which is why I've posted all the details- my grandfather was born on Thompson St. and his brother worked at Baldwin Locomotive Works  :)

Online Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 06 January 14 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi again

This 1900 census entry looks tempting:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/M37V-H9Y

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***