Author Topic: Clendon Blair  (Read 1639 times)

Offline Alyssa Gould

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Clendon Blair
« on: Saturday 04 January 14 04:12 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm looking for some information on my Grandfather. His name was Clendon Blair. He died in he died in 1956 in Moose Jaw, Sask. when my mother was just a child. He was married to Mary Ramsden. That's all I really know about him.

After he died, my Grandmother remarried, Albert Cafferata. Who I also know not a whole lot about. He was born in 1921 I believe and lived in Moose Jaw, Sask. He had brother Fred who passed. His parents were Humbert and Florence.

I'd love to know more about each of them, but especially my Grandfather Clendon. Thanks in advance for any information!

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Clendon Blair
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 January 14 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alyssa  :D

I'm sure you have this, but this is Mary's obituary:
http://www.moosejawfuneralhome.com/2012/obits/C/CafferataMary.html

It mentions:
Mary and Clendon married in 1947
Bert and Mary married in 1961 and they moved to Moose Jaw.
Bert passed away in 2006
Mary was 88 when she passed away indicating a year of birth around 1924 (in England).

If Bert's sibling are not deceased or if you don't know if they are still living or not - then their names should be removed from your post, to protect their privacy in accordance with RC rules  ;D

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 January 14 05:24 GMT (UK) »

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 January 14 05:28 GMT (UK) »
An obituary of a possible sister of Clendon : http://memorialsolutions.com/sitemaker/sites/JONESS1/Oldsite/html/Memorials%202008/clossellen102208.htm

This states she was the daughter of William and Mabel Blair (both deceased), and was born in Wisconsin, with brothers Court, Ken, and Clendon predeceasing her.  She passed away in Moose Jaw.

Looking at the 1910 Wisconsin census, there is a William Blair, wife Mabel, and son Cortland.

There is a matching family in the 1921 Swift Current, Sask area with parents William and Mabel Blair, son Cortelan, Kenneth, and daughter Eillen. This 1921 census says William was born in Ontario, and Mabel and children all born in the USA.
The 1921 census has William mistranscribed as "Meleaw H Blair", so try searching under that at Anc**  It gives the year as moving to Canada as 1912.

Hope this helps!

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 January 14 05:29 GMT (UK) »
Mary's Obit mentioned her family settled in  Hallonquist, Sask., when they emigrated to Canada 1924. This is now a 'ghost town? Was your Mum born there -thinking this is  perhaps  where her parents met?  The  following website:
http://www.pbase.com/impalass/hallonquist_sk
mentions a Marie BLAIR who ran the store in Hallonquist in the late 1950's-ish and remarried and moved to Moose Jaw... could this be referring to your Grandmother, Mary?

Edit: Yes it is her  :D, having just read Cosmac's excellent find![/
i]

Cheers
Ambly
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 04 January 14 06:31 GMT (UK) »
Border crossing documents for Kenneth Elwood Blair in 1944 and 1946 show he was born in Barron Wisconsin May 24 1907.  One shows his mother, Mable Blair of Bateman Saskatchean.  Both show him resident in Lethbridge Alberta with wife Kathleen. 

Wisconsin Genealogical Society BMD index shows a marriage Oct 15, 1901 Barron Wisconsin between William Blair and Mabel Forry.  Mabel Forry is on the 1900 US Census in barron working as a servant for James Post.

Can't see any birth for Clendon in the above database.  One for Kenneth L. but the birthyear is off.

Offline jeffster

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 04 January 14 15:13 GMT (UK) »
Cemetery listing for Albert Cafferata:

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~skmjbsgs/Pagec.htm

Jeff

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 04 January 14 16:17 GMT (UK) »
FamilySearch Wisconsin marriage database has a number of marriages in Barron Wisconsin for Blair children of William Blair and Margaret Buchanan.  On the 1900 US census there is a family of Blairs in Cumberland, Barron, Wisconsin with William, Charley, Ida, Mary and Albert and mother Margaret.  One of the children's marriage records indicates she was born in Minto which would be Minto Township, Wellington County, Ontario.  You can search the 1881 census (the 1900 census indicates an immigration year of 1883) and can find William and Margaret with a number of the same children who married in Barron.  So far I can't see a marriage record between William and Margaret.

The same FamilySearch Wisconsin marriage database has Mabel's marriage and it shows her parents as John Florry and Ellen Post.

Offline Alyssa Gould

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 January 14 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Wow, thanks you guys! I removed the names of the people who may still be alive. Thanks for reminding me :) This is all new to me. Yes Hallonquist is now what they call a ghost town. And I do believe this is where my grandparents met. My grandmother ran the store and post office there. And my Mom, aunt, and uncle all went to school there. I've made a few connections now, thanks!