Author Topic: Violet Kemp Horn(e)  (Read 5471 times)

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Violet Kemp Horn(e)
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 21:38 GMT (UK) »
Chris you MAY be able to find something about the TRUDGEON family and even find a descendant who could tell you something about their family in that era.

My first port of call would be here...there is an Inverleigh historian with the Geelong Family History group.  Nothing like local knowledge.
http://zades.com.au/gandd/index.php/geelong/gdcalend/details/25-GFHG201110

Many entries on this index for the TRUDGEON family at Inverleigh here - you need to contact the group for further information.
http://zades.com.au/gandd/index.php/databases/gddbs

Only 13 listings in Vic
http://www.whitepages.com.au/?entryType=R

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KentishChris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 17 January 14 05:18 GMT (UK) »
Well I've got George's birth certificate.
And his marriage is to Ellen Linfield, in Sussex.

I do not have their marriage certificate, so this might be my next step, to see if I can find any information on that!
George was in the army during WW2. Unfortunately, he died in the 1970's and I was born in 1991, and haven't had any contact with relatives that knew him, so I actually do not know what he did after the war. He died in Sussex, and as far as I'm aware he lived in the area from when he got married until he died.

With Violet going to Chile; there is a document stating she left in 1896 and arrived in Valparaiso, Chile as a Violet Kemp Thomson. There is then a document stating she then left Valparaiso, Chile, in 1902 and returned to England as Violet Kemp Horne. All dates match. Although I shouldn't assume, everything is too much of a coincidence, but at the moment, I haven't followed this section of her life anyway.

I have no documentation of William Horne at all. He is listed on George's birth certificate as father, as a William Nixon Horne, and that he is a chemist. He is listed on Violet's death certificate as husband. But that is everything I have on him. I have found nothing at all.

Concerning the headstone at Inverleigh Cemetery. Her name is found on the list of people who are buried in the cemetery that DON'T have a headstone. I have found this since my last post.

So what you are saying that "Braeside" may be the name of the home?
I will do a bit of research on the Trudgeon family, and see what I can find!
I will also get in contact with the local historian, like you say cando, there is nothing like local knowledge!

Chris
Goldsmith, Dewhurst, Brown, Stoneman, Waite, Philbey, Bolingbroke, Bowen - London
Evenden - Kent
Bryant - Somerset
Tyson, Walker, Beesley, Barlow - Lancashire
Horn - Sussex
Peacock, Bailey - Yorkshire
Butler - Hampshire

NIL DESPERANDUM

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 17 January 14 07:35 GMT (UK) »

'... there is a document stating she left in 1896 and arrived in Valparaiso, Chile as a Violet Kemp Thomson. There is then a document stating she then left Valparaiso, Chile, in 1902 and returned to England as Violet Kemp Horne."

What are these documents please. The nature of the documents might provide a clue.........immigration?..........employment?.....customs statement?....statutory declaration?.....what are they?.

Who is the informant on the birth certificate please....if he is born at a residential address can you give that information please.

Do you know if George ever travelled to Australia...or ever left England (apart from war service).

Did he pass on the name Nixon to one of his children...but don't name his children here please. It might indicate what degree of influence or contact father William had in the life of son George.

Cando.......regarding a passenger list, knowing that there is a record suits me...and thanks.

Offline KentishChris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 18 January 14 10:33 GMT (UK) »
They are immigration/passenger lists.

The informant is Violet Kemp Horn, mother, 7 Upper Grove, South Norwood, Croydon UD.
That's where he is born on the 3rd November 1903.

I do not of any travel to Australia on this whole branch of the family, and I am not aware of any travels to elsewhere. It doesn't mean he didn't though.

I have never heard the name Nixon. It was a surprise when I saw the name Nixon come through on the birth certificate! No-one in the family has the name, no-one has ever mentioned the name.

When George's birth certificate came through there were a few surprises;
1. Both parents names!
2. That William is listed as a Chemist.

Thank you
Chris
Goldsmith, Dewhurst, Brown, Stoneman, Waite, Philbey, Bolingbroke, Bowen - London
Evenden - Kent
Bryant - Somerset
Horn - Sussex
Butler - Hampshire

NIL DESPERANDUM

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 18 January 14 15:56 GMT (UK) »
Have you looked to see if you can find Violet and George in Scotland in 1911?
http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Marriage located:
1896 William Horn, chemist, Lautaro Nitrate. Co., to Violet Kemp, eldest daughter of late Robert Thomson, builder, Gourock, at. Tatal, Chile on 17th June 1896.
- in the Greenock Telegraph 20.6.1896
Difficult to link directly as it's a pdf but use the following google search:
site:www.inverclyde.gov.uk "Violet Kemp"

ETA:  http://www.rootschat.com/links/0xmg/  and the original record from Chile which I believe shows his parents as George Horn and Mary Nixon.  He signs his name without "Nixon", though.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KentishChris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Jorose, this is fantastic!  :)

As you can probably tell, I'm a bit of a beginner with family history, and sometimes I just never know where to look!
Taltal was huge for sodium nitrate then!

Can anyone read what the residence says?
Luckily I did a bit of Spanish in school, so I've managed to work out most of it, but the writing is difficult to put together.
He was 28, she was 29.
I also cannot work out what the profession for Violet says?

Thanks again,
Chris
Evenden - Kent
Bryant - Somerset
Horn - Sussex
Butler - Hampshire

NIL DESPERANDUM

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 07:50 GMT (UK) »
For her occupation, I'm guessing "ninguna" for "none".

Perhaps the conditions in Chile did not agree with her.  I can see no births or deaths in Taltal for this family - just the marriage.  I would look in Scotland for the 1911 census for Violet and her son, and possibly a death for William.

Do you know where "Lamont" comes from? Is that a family name?

There are also some post office directories for Scotland here which would be worth checking:
http://www.nls.uk/family-history/directories/post-office

Interestingly there are also some Journals of the Society of Chemical Industry, of which William was a member:
1892: in Greenock:
https://archive.org/stream/journals11soci#page/n71/mode/2up
1901: last in which I find his name (still in Chile) - although the 1902 doesn't seem to have the usual list of members - 1903 definitely doesn't have him, though.
https://archive.org/stream/journals20soci#page/n139/mode/2up

So somewhere between 1901 and 1903 he was no longer a member - deceased, stopped paying his dues?
Perhaps he returned to Greenock where he had worked some years earlier - is that why Violet is there by 1922?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 10:03 GMT (UK) »
This looks promising.

IGI  marriage HORN George / NIXON Mary  19  Jan  1860  High Church, Glasgow, Lanark
IGI   births to parents George HORN and Mary NIXON

HORN Mary Maitland      27  Feb  1861    High Church, Glasgow, Lanark.
HORN George                15  Nov  1862   Calton, Glasgow, Lanark
HORN Mary                   15  Nov  1862    Calton, Glasgow, Lanark
HORN James                 03  May  1864    Calton, Gladgow, Lanark
HORN Margaret Dunn    28  May  1866    Calton, Glasgow, Lanark
HORN William                15  Feb  1868   Calton, Glasgow, Lanark
HORN Robert                 26  Jan  1870    Calton, Glasgow, Lanark
HORN Mary Nixon           20  Dec  1871  Bridgton, Glasgow, Lanark
HORN Helen                   08  Nov  1873   High Church, Glasgow, Lanark
HORN Russell                 31 Aug 1881   Denniston, Glasgow, Lanark

NIXON, Mary    born  8 May 1838   Glasgow, Lanark    parents   James NIXON / Marion RUSSELL

Census
1871   at 6 Rochester St Glasgow
HORN, George 42 grocer,  Mary 32
Eliza 4,  George 8,  James 6,  Margaret 4,  William 3,  Robert 1

1881 at Bellgrove St
HORN, George 53, Mary 43,
Elizabeth M 20,  George 19 clerk (lawyers), James 17,  Margaret D 15,  Robert 11,  Mary N 9,  Helen 8,  Isabella 6......and....Marion NIXON 47yrs  sister-in-law.

1891  at 5 Bellgrove St
HORN George 64,  Mary 53,
James 26,  Mary D 24,  William 23 analytical chemist, Helen 17,  Isabella 15, Russell 9.

1901  at       591 Great Eastern Rd
HORN George 72, Mary 63
Elizabeth SMITH 39 dau, Margaret 35,  Robert 31,  Mary 30, Ellen 28, Isabella 26, Russell 20, William SMITH grandson.

IGI birth
NIXON Marion  5 Jun 1834  Glasgow, Lanark parents James NIXON / Marion RUSSELL

marriage
James HORN m. Margaret DUN   20 Aug 1824   Barony, Lanark

Possible?
WILL  Scotland
HORN Mary  34 Garturk St Glasgow    d. 2 Aug 1920
HORN George   34 Garturk St Glasgow  d. 3 Jun 1902

might have mention of son?

Offline KentishChris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jorose and wivenhoe!

I'd made a mistake, veinticinco is 25, not sure why I said Violet was 29. So now the dates fit together!  :)

William is listed as the father of George Lamont Horn, and he is born 3rd November 1903, but Violet left Chile in 1902, meaning he must have been conceived in England. Although I won't assume!

I have no idea where Lamont comes from! The name has been passed down from George Lamont Horn, but there was no mention of why or where it came from. As far as I'm aware, it's a French name..

At the moment, I'm sorting out some bank issues, so I'm going to have to wait for that to be sorted before I can start buying credits on ScotlandsPeople.
But I think I will try and have a look for any immigration records for William, and to follow on wivenhoe's research of where the Horn family ended up!

Thanks again! This story is getting more and more interesting!
Chris
Evenden - Kent
Bryant - Somerset
Horn - Sussex
Butler - Hampshire

NIL DESPERANDUM