Author Topic: Violet Kemp Horn(e)  (Read 5468 times)

Offline KentishChris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Violet Kemp Horn(e)
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 02:51 GMT (UK) »
Wivenhoe,

I've just been reading and clarifying your information. It all fits, and I've been going over lots of hints on Ancestry.
I am guessing that Mary Maitland may have died as a baby, hence the 2nd Mary 18 months later.
Mary and George are twins.
There has always been a little story in the family about twins. And apparently it "skips generations".

They all seem to be doing pretty well for themselves! I was expecting a family this large in the centre of Glasgow in the 1800's to be living in poverty, but they all have very good careers! (Doesn't mean they weren't living in poverty though!)

I cannot explain how exciting it is to finally have names!
Since I took over from my late uncle 3 years ago, I have always struggled with this branch, and it's been so frustrating because it is the branch of my surname!

If you can help me find anymore, I would really appreciate it!
I'm going to spend all day looking :)

Thanks
Chris
Goldsmith, Dewhurst, Brown, Stoneman, Waite, Philbey, Bolingbroke, Bowen - London
Evenden - Kent
Bryant - Somerset
Tyson, Walker, Beesley, Barlow - Lancashire
Horn - Sussex
Peacock, Bailey - Yorkshire
Butler - Hampshire

NIL DESPERANDUM

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 24 January 14 10:05 GMT (UK) »

This website will be very useful to your research. It is a pay service and very good value. You could use the 1911 census Scotland to account for Violet Kemp Horn/e, William and son George. Similarly, the land valuation records might find William or Violet or members of the families identified here so far.

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

The marriage certificate find by Jorose is very helpful...is there a witness George Thomson, who you might suspect to be a relative of Violet?

Offline KentishChris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 13:33 GMT (UK) »
Hello again!

So I've spent the evening translating the document myself.

23rd?? June 1896 in Taltal, Chile
Husband: William Nixon Horn, Scottish, 28 years old, Chemist, Single
Wife: Violet Kemp Thomson, Scottish, 25 years old, no profession, single

Parents of Husband: George Horn and Mary Horn nee Nixon
Parents of Wife: Robert Thomson and Agnes Thomson nee Aitchison

I couldn't translate either residency of the parents...
I could only manage 'Calle' which means street, which is where they got married, presumably the address of the only church in Taltal...
The witness is not called George Thomson. He is George T. Robertson, as he signs his name in the next section.

Taltal looks a funny little place! :)

Wivenhoe, I'm just sorting some bank issues out at the moment, so hopefully will be able to start buying credits on that soon! Will let you know of any updates!

Thanks again,
Chris
Goldsmith, Dewhurst, Brown, Stoneman, Waite, Philbey, Bolingbroke, Bowen - London
Evenden - Kent
Bryant - Somerset
Tyson, Walker, Beesley, Barlow - Lancashire
Horn - Sussex
Peacock, Bailey - Yorkshire
Butler - Hampshire

NIL DESPERANDUM

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 17:22 GMT (UK) »
There seem to be two witnesses - William Mills Sparkie(?) and George Thompson Robertson.

George Robertson had a child in Taltal in 1897:
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KRS9-ZYF
(seems like he is an engineer, perhaps worked with William Horn).

I am at this point very sure that there were no children to the Horn family b. Taltal - I checked the image indexes and it also seems the births have been indexed - hence finding the above.  This makes it very interesting that Violet apparently was childless until her return in the UK, upon which she seems to have very quickly gotten pregnant with George (perhaps named after grandfather George Horn?).

There ought to be some record of William coming back to the UK around the same time, if George was indeed his son.  As he appears in the " Journals of the Society of Chemical Industry" up to 1901 as in Taltal, then disappears, it seems likely that he either left that position or passed away around this time, although unless he changed occupation entirely it seems odd that he doesn't then seem to appear somewhere in the UK as a chemist.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk