Author Topic: Violet Kemp Horn(e)  (Read 5461 times)

Offline KentishChris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Violet Kemp Horn(e)
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 January 14 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your replies!  :)

Luckily I have a day off tomorrow, so my mission will be to order her death certificate! Because I am only in Adelaide, it shouldn't take too long to get to me.

Something along the lines of a missionary nurse is all that I could come up with as well Neil!
She returns in 1902 to England, but George is born in November 1903. I cannot find any of them on the 1911 census, and I know nothing of their lives between 1903 and 1933 when George marries in Sussex, apart from the document saying Violet travelled to Australia in 1922.

In reply to your first post Neil, I cannot find ANYTHING on William Nixon Horn. He is listed as a chemist on George's birth certificate. I have found a William Nissen Horn, around the same area, who is a stationers apprentice a few years earlier, and is also 9 years younger than Violet. It's possible, but I doubt it.

She sailed into Valparaiso, but that doesn't mean she remains there. Although 6 years does suggest that she is there for a particular reason!

Chris
Goldsmith, Dewhurst, Brown, Stoneman, Waite, Philbey, Bolingbroke, Bowen - London
Evenden - Kent
Bryant - Somerset
Tyson, Walker, Beesley, Barlow - Lancashire
Horn - Sussex
Peacock, Bailey - Yorkshire
Butler - Hampshire

NIL DESPERANDUM

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 January 14 20:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all your replies!  :)

Luckily I have a day off tomorrow, so my mission will be to order her death certificate! Because I am only in Adelaide, it shouldn't take too long to get to me.

Chris

Hi Chris,

The state Victoria has online cert. which you can receive straight away.

http://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/home/family+history/

Offline KentishChris

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 05:20 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,

I received Violet's death certificate this morning. I could have had it immediately, but I thought I'd wait and get it through the post instead, hence why it took a little longer!

Interesting information;
Where and When died: 18th April 1946, Geelong Hospital
Usual Place of Residence: "Braeside" Inverleigh

Cause of Death: Senility
When the doctor last saw deceased: 17th April 1946

Fathers Name: Robert Thomson
Mother's Name: Not Known

Informant: Les Cole, Undertaker's Assistant, Geelong West

When and Where Buried: 20th April 1946, Inverleigh Cemetery

Where born and how long in state: Scotland. 25 Years in Victoria

If deceased was married:
Where: England
At What Age: Unknown
To Whom: William Horne
Condition at date of death: Widow

Issue: No Issue

I didn't know where to start with this. Sometimes death certificates have answers, this one does not.
The main 2 things that caught my attention was that she was a widow (as I have no information on him at all!) and that she had no issue, when I know full well that she did. I understand that the information probably would have come from someone that knew her, however, surely if the person wasn't sure, it would say "Unknown", rather than "No Issue".

I have researched Inverleigh Cemetery and found her on the burial list, but she was not on the headstone list, either suggesting that she doesn't have a headstone, or that the list may be incomplete (which it does say!)
I have also researched "Braeside", which I presume is a home, but found nothing.

In the meantime of my last post, I have also managed to find Violet on electoral rolls, throughout the 1920's, 30's and into the 40's, as living in Bannockburn, Victoria, which is the suburb next to Inverleigh.

It all fits, but nothing is making sense!  :)
Thanks in advance for you help!
Chris
Goldsmith, Dewhurst, Brown, Stoneman, Waite, Philbey, Bolingbroke, Bowen - London
Evenden - Kent
Bryant - Somerset
Tyson, Walker, Beesley, Barlow - Lancashire
Horn - Sussex
Peacock, Bailey - Yorkshire
Butler - Hampshire

NIL DESPERANDUM

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Violet is found travelling to Sydney in 1922, (on her own again!). Her husband, William Nixon Horn, is nowhere to be found, anywhere....!!! But her last address is listed in Scotland.

Have you searched for her husband's death at Greenock in Scotland?  Perhaps they separated ie if they were together in the UK.  Are their electoral rolls available in Scotland for the era.  My research in Scotland only extends to the 1890's.

You need to look at the image to find an electors details not just read the division and sub division.  Many electorates/divisions cover large areas.

Australian Electoral Roll
1931, 1936., 1937, 1943
HORN Violet Kemp  Braeside, Inverleigh  Nurse

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inverleigh,_Victoria

On TROVE there are death notices in 1915 for William TRUDGEON and in 1924 for his wife who both died at "Braeside" Inverleigh and there are TRUDGEON's on the electoral roll in 1931 at Inverleigh. The TRUDGEON family were enrolled to vote at Inverleigh from 1903 and were gardeners/orchardists. None of the new enrolments used the address "Braeside" just Inverleigh. The notices state residence.   It was fashionable to name one's home no matter how grand or modest.

As Violet died in hospital I suggest the information was given to the undertaker by a staff member.  Usual place of residence should be her last place of permanent residence.  It is possible she may have been in hospital for sometime or even a nursing home.

You appear to have misinterpreted the information about photos of headstones in Inverleigh Cemetery.  If there was a headstone it would be on this website.

http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~ausvsac/Inverleigh.htm
The list below only refers to headstones and is not a complete burial list for the cemetery

or this one
http://www.ianmarr.net.au/INVERLE.HTM

Perhaps there were no funds for a headstone.

Violet did not have a will probated in Victoria.

It is possible Violet enrolled to vote in 1931 as she was approaching the age when she would have been eligible for the aged pension. I note that her occupation on the passenger list was housewife.  She was contracted to land in Sydney so if the years in Victoria are correct, she appeared to have moved to that State soon after arrival.

Cheers :)
Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline wivenhoe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 10:30 GMT (UK) »

Can you identify the source of the information you are using please?

"I understand she went to Chile in 1896, and returned married in 1902, however she has travelled back on her own, or at least, without her husband"........is this from passenger list?

"His marriage in the 1930's in Sussex, England"....do you have this certificate?

What work did ggrandfather George do....... if followed father William ie how long his father was around in his life.

Who did George marry 1933 please...I am not seeing marriage in Sussex that looks like him.
(FreeBDM).

Did George and family live/die in England or Australia?   

Electoral Roll 1881  Gourock, Renfrew
THOMSON
Robert 40yrs builder and joiner b. Gourock
Agnes 33yrs                             b. Lochgilphead, Argyll
Violet R    9yrs                          b. Gourock
Rachel C  8yrs                           b. Gourock
Nelly A     4yrs                          b. Gourock
Jeannie M     7/12                      b. Gourock

Robert  51yrs, Agnes  44yrs, Violet  19yrs, Helen 14yrs, John THOMPSON  7yrs,
George THOMPSON 5yrs, Mary AITCHISON, niece b. Glasgow.
John and George are sons, just different spelling, and all children b. Gourock.

1891...I am not seeing any of these people....did they all move away?

IGI
Violet Kemp THOMMSON             b.  20 Feb 1887 Inverkip, Renfrew   Robert / Agnes AITCHiSON
Rachel Cameron THOMSON         b   25 Feb 1873  Inverkip, Renfrew  Robert / Agnes AITCHESON
Alice Louisa Douglas THOMSON   b.  18 Aug 1874  Inverkip, Renfrew  Robert / Agnes AITCHiSON

several instances of NIXON as given name in Greenock, Renfrew 1870 - 1890

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 11:35 GMT (UK) »
"I understand she went to Chile in 1896, and returned married in 1902, however she has travelled back on her own, or at least, without her husband"........is this from passenger list?

I found Violet travelling alone on a passenger list arriving Liverpool in 1902.  I can type up the details if you think it will help.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Possible birth and marriage
Births Dec 1903 
HORN    George Lamont     Croydon    2a/328

Marriages Dec 1933 
HORN    George L    Linfield  E Preston 2b/1011
LINFIELD Ellen    Horn  E Preston 2b/1011

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 11:51 GMT (UK) »
And may be his death....ie if the correct George HORN.

HORN George Lamont
Born   3 Nov 1903
Death Mar 1976  72 years   Hove 18/1611

A quick search and they don't appear on the 1911 census.

Cando

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 11:58 GMT (UK) »
Just found three online trees on Ancestry - all sourced and I think the OP may be one of the owners.  So he has all this information.

Cando

Edit...and apologies JM I completely missed this link :-[
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=667160.0