Author Topic: doing efficient search of Scotlands People - help please  (Read 7621 times)

Offline rossendalerose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
doing efficient search of Scotlands People - help please
« on: Monday 06 January 14 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Never searched Scottish records before! I have purchased 30 credits as I need to confirm marriage and birth details for my friends GM and GGM.  I have tried a search and used a credit and the search gave me one marriage but this seems to have the wrong people (John W Scott and Agnes Mercer of Fife). With the following information what should I put in the search boxes?

Want to verify:
1)Agnes and Williams marriage
2)Catherine's date of birth
and 3) if poss Agnes' parents via census details

Child - Catherine (born about 1911) - the family think she was illegitimate.
-Mother Agnes (surname Murray? - off another f/tree but not verified)
-married William John Scott who was from Eniskillen but worked in Scotland
-Their 3rd child William was born in 1913 in Greenock (this William is the famous contemporary artist)
-The family moved back to Eniskillen where William snr died in 1927.

Don't mind using up my credits as family will refund me but would like to get some positive hits!
Thanks
Rozalia

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: doing efficient search of Scotlands People - help please
« Reply #1 on: Monday 06 January 14 11:29 GMT (UK) »
I just tried looking for a Agnes Murray marrying a ? Scott between 1910 and 1914 and came up with  one in 1910  in Dennistoun Lanakshire/Glasgow with husbands christian name William John. Could this be them?

Kay

Edit - the husband was a house painter -

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 January 14 11:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi ,

If you are sure about the birth of William in 1913 , that would give his parents and their marriage date.
1913 births have just been released to view online by SP.

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 January 14 11:37 GMT (UK) »
Snap, Ev  ;D

Son William's birth cert (15 Feb 1913) has them marrying June 10, 1910 Dennistoun

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 06 January 14 11:46 GMT (UK) »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Scott_(artist)

Click on - Did you mean: William Scott (artist)

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 January 14 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Some help with Scotlandspeople searches -

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=562668.0

ev

Offline rossendalerose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 January 14 14:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for all of this.  As the family thought Catherine was illegitimate I only looked for marriages 1911 - 1913.  As you have found a record for a 1910 marriage she wasn't illegitimate (unless her age is wrong).  I will get that record.

Yes - William snr was a house painter (took up sign writing as well). His son is William Scott the artist and Catherine is William jnr's older sister. She ended up marrying in London.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 January 14 14:52 GMT (UK) »
As the family thought Catherine was illegitimate I only looked for marriages 1911 - 1913.  As you have found a record for a 1910 marriage she wasn't illegitimate (unless her age is wrong).  I will get that record.

You've got her birthdate as "about 1911" - but if family think she was illegitimate perhaps she was born in 1910 shortly before the marriage.  Her birth record should sort that out for certain. Have you found the family in the Scotland 1911 census (available on ScotlandsPeople), and if so did she appear as an infant?

NB if she was born before the marriage her birth may be registered in her mother's surname.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline rossendalerose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 06 January 14 15:24 GMT (UK) »
Just checked on WilliamScott.org web page and it states that his elder sister Catherine was born in 1909 ie before the 1910 marriage so family were correct about illegitimacy. Also doesn't follow that William snr is the father??  Do Scottish birth certs show name of absentee father?

Having dreadful problems viewing items from Scotland People - our broadband is very,very slow and I need to look at technical help section - probably don't have right programme loaded to allow me to view.

Therefore haven't looked for family in 1911 yet - but William, Agnes and baby Catherine should be there + possibly new baby Nancy.