Author Topic: doing efficient search of Scotlands People - help please  (Read 7622 times)

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: doing efficient search of Scotlands People - help please
« Reply #18 on: Monday 06 January 14 17:12 GMT (UK) »
Regarding Nancy, there is a possible death for an Agnes in Garndadhill in 1911 (an Agnes shows on the death register then as being born in 1910).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 06 January 14 17:35 GMT (UK) »
 :D I am always daft excited when we can find extra documents that can add to more that just BMD for background.

There are WW1 service papers for John William Scott/William John Scott, seems to go by either. A big pack, with full details of his service history (1914-19) which later descendants should love to see (I know I do when I have found some for my lines  ;)).

By 1914, when he enlisted in Greenock, he worked as a painter for the Post Office. A physical description of him and also age/ place of birth confirming what has been showing here.

A little more bio on the family from this link on son William George's life www.culturenorthernireland.org/article.aspx?art_id=2927 ...fascinating story.

Some of his children showing below as at the date this was written up. Regarding Catherine, I think her entry reads as Catherine McLelland (Murray), after her mother, confirming what has already been discussed:

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 06 January 14 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Do Scottish birth certs show name of absentee father?

The law assumes that the father of a child born to a married woman is her husband, even if he is absent. If he is not the father, she can declare the fact at the time of registering the birth.

If a child is illegitimate, the father's name only appears on the birth certificate if the father accompanies the mother to the Registrar's office when she goes to register the birth, and signs the register at that time.

If a court subsequently finds that a particular man is the father of an illegitimate child, his name is not added to the certificate, but he is named in the Register of Corrected Entries (RCE).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline rossendalerose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 06 January 14 19:44 GMT (UK) »
Catherine's birth cert states she is illegitimate but there is a note in the margin:
'paternity of child found by decision of court -see registration of court entries Vol 1 pg 228 Sept 1909'.

How does this work in Scotland? Did Agnes seek this decision? or was it a formality that mothers of illegitimate children had to go through (ie something like the English Parish poor laws to prevent the child being a burden on the parish).

+ is the actual decision accessible to me?  I making a huge assumption that William Scott is the babies father as the domicile of Agnes at the birth is the same as their address on marriage in 1910.
many thanks for all your interest - I wouldn't have got to this point as quickly without your experience.
Rozalia H

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 06 January 14 23:01 GMT (UK) »
Just checked the RCE on this.    Agnes Murray of 36 Rymer St. Glasgow was the Pursuer against Murdoch Finlayson (sometimes working under the name John Hamilton, 43 Aitkenhead Road, Glasgow).    It was found on 10/8/1909 that Catherine was the child of the parties aforesaid.

So her future husband was not Catherine's father.

Annette

http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/content/help/index.aspx?1314
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline rossendalerose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 08:58 GMT (UK) »
Monica - thanks for the WW1 info.  That record contains the most detail I've seen - loved the fact that there was a letter from Agnes there and tiny details like Williams 14 day penalty for being drunk and swearing.

Annette - did the fact that Murdoch also went by another name not ring alarm bells to the 17 year old dairymaid, Agnes fresh to the city!! (shades of Tess of the D'Urbervilles to my inventive mind!).

Off to try direct downloads of the records I saved.
Many thanks
Rozalia

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 09:10 GMT (UK) »
did the fact that Murdoch also went by another name not ring alarm bells to the 17 year old dairymaid, Agnes fresh to the city!!

Can you be sure he told her? "Hi, I'm Murdoch alias John" would surely ring alarm bells, but "Hi, I'm Murdoch" wouldn't.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline argyllshiregirl

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 30 December 14 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Annette7,

Hello,

I am intrigued by this Murdo/Murdoch FINLAYSON. We have been searching for a missing cousin of my grandmother. She was Jemima MCDOUGALL born in Kilninian on the Isle of Mull March 3, 1875 to Catherine MCKINNON and James MCDOUGALL. I just learned the name of Jemima's husband and it was Murdo FINLAYSON. They married in 1902 and in 1906 Murdo was the informant on his mother-in-law's death registration when she died in Maryhill, Glasgow. I sure hope my relative's husband wasn't the same Murdo FINLAYSON who was abandoning expectant mothers! :o

Mary
Fletcher of Glen Orchy, Argyll, McGregor of Argyll and Balquhidder, Perth, Mathison, Laidlaw, Forsyth of Dumfriesshire, McMillan, Johnston, Galbraith, Nicholson of Argyll, McPhail, McArthur, McKinnon, McLean, Paterson from Isle of Mull