Author Topic: doing efficient search of Scotlands People - help please  (Read 7623 times)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: doing efficient search of Scotlands People - help please
« Reply #9 on: Monday 06 January 14 15:30 GMT (UK) »
I also have great problems with site as I can never get the viewer to work so I selected the option to down load the file rather that open it via their viewer which works much better

Have you managed to download the marriage? If not I can email you a copy

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 06 January 14 15:39 GMT (UK) »

Therefore haven't looked for family in 1911 yet - but William, Agnes and baby Catherine should be there + possibly new baby Nancy.

I see that the William Scott site shows "Cathy" b 1909 (as you say) and Nancy 1911 - but a free search of Scottish statutory births for Nancy Scott births 1910-1912 yields no matches (there is one match in 1909). Of course as a Nancy she might officially have been Ann or similar.

Anyway, it would definitely be worth double checking the details of these girls rather than accepting the William Scott website as definitive.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 06 January 14 15:45 GMT (UK) »
Catherine is listed as 2 in the census, born Lanark, Glasgow living in Townhead, Glasgow(Garngadhill) with William, Agnes and 2 cousins from Ayr but no Nancy

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 06 January 14 15:52 GMT (UK) »
There is a possible birth of a Catherine Mclelland Murray in 1909 in Garngadhill  District.  The same district the family were living in 1911.

Offline rossendalerose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 06 January 14 15:58 GMT (UK) »
Haven't viewed the marriage as can't open the download. Ditto Catherine Murray 1909 births (there was the one in Garngadhill, where the Scotts were living in 1911 - spotted that as well so it's a possible). I have used my credits for them so I'm assuming they are saved in the 'recently viewed' section.  Looks as though I'll have to go through Direct Download to see them.

Can you tell me the ages of William and Agnes in 1911, as this is info I haven't got yet not being able to view the census return. After sorting the scottish side I want to look for William snr's birth in Enniskillen so his age would help!

This is the first family tree that I've done where there is a BBC documentary about the family. Catherine's descendants are going to loan me a DVD which outlines the trials and tribulations of Agnes coping with 10 children, husband dying in a fire and then son William going to London with an art scholarship.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 06 January 14 16:04 GMT (UK) »
William is listed as 24 and Agnes as 19 which matches their marriage and William is a house painter. 

If you send me a private message  with your email address I can try and send you them.  I had spare credits after trying to buy my own marriage cert which took ages to work out!!!

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 06 January 14 16:44 GMT (UK) »
To add to the dynamics of searching for people, the Scots loved first name variations. Nancy is a common variant of Agnes, as is Ann too - see www.whatsinaname.net/php/search.php?action=search2&search_name=nancy

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 06 January 14 16:49 GMT (UK) »
In case it is this problem stopping viewing images on SP (I am assuming you have paid your credits to download an image but having problems viewing?). One of the easiest and uncomplicated ways of having your setting to view on SP is if you have it set to do something called a 'direct download'.

If you go to 'your details' (see top of the page for tab) on SP - link here www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/users/details.aspx

Towards the bottom you have:

Application Options

Image Viewer is the one you need to look at. On the pull down tab, set it to 'direct download'

Make sure when you finish to click on 'Update your details' tab at the bottom for these changes to apply.

I think the above settings are what Kay is recommending you use. I too find them the easiest and quickest for viewing. Not sure what you have your for viewing settings.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 06 January 14 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Interesting tree to support what you are finding or provided to you by your friend hopefully, Rozalia - https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.2.1/M7G6-DPF

Parents' details here for John William Scott you should be able to confirm from the marriage cert that Kay has kindly provided from her searches. Includes details on his birth in Inniskillen (which can always be hard to find in Ireland).

A couple of questions from this tree.... The main one being they show wife Agnes as Murray but you have her as Mercer? I think the marriage entry from 1910 also shows Murray for Agnes?

No mention of a daughter Nancy/Agnes etc. Maybe she didn't show in 1911? Maybe she died before the 1911 census?

Monica