Author Topic: Ledbury Poor Law Union - John Hall  (Read 3320 times)

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ledbury Poor Law Union - John Hall
« on: Tuesday 07 January 14 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone advise on this query.   I am attaching the death certificate of an ancestor on my Layton FT but he is in the direct line for someone I share FH information with in Australia.   He says, and is convinced, that John Hall died in Ledbury Workhouse and wonders why when he owned considerable land in the Mathon / Malvern area in his younger days, as did his wife's family, the Laytons.  And there appeared to be property passed on to his son Henry.   The place of death is given as Bank, Mathon, which would be Bank Farm, where he lived and had been in his wife's family for years.  I am not convinced that he was in the Workhouse though.

Why does the Registration District say Ledbury Poor Law Union - was it because Mathon was in this district and other death certificates would have said the same, even though people were not inmates of the workhouse ?

Or the fact that it does say Ledbury Poor Law Union, means he was an inmate there.   

Was it also used as a hospital and might he have been there because he was sick and not because he was destitute ?

I realise that folks could have land and property and live very well  but then, for various reasons, lose everything and have nothing at the end of their lives.    Martha Jones was his daughter.  It does say Ledbury as the sub-district.  Mathon was in county of Herefordshire at one time and then in Worcestershire at other times.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ledbury Poor Law Union - John Hall
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 12:44 GMT (UK) »
It looks as though he died at home based on the address not in Ledbury Workhouse.   This site may help explain why the area of the Poor Law Union was used as a basis for Registration in 1837
 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_law_union

Kay

Offline mazi

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Its also unlikely, if he died in the workhouse, that the informant would be illiterate, you would expect the death to be registered by a workhouse official

mike

Offline LaytonLily

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 07 January 14 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for those two replies.   There was some interesting information on the website link given about Registration districts etc and I have sent it to my contact in Australia.  Also an interesting fact from mazi - you see the very clever and helpful people out there on Roots.web know things like that !   

It is interesting about people being illiterate.  Because folks could run a business,  own land and / or property,  employ other staff etc. could not necessarily read or write.    As was the case with John Hall's daughter Melina.
ASTON, Birmingham : TWIST, B.ham: HUNT, B.ham: LAYTON, Worcestershire: LAYTON, B.ham: BISHOP, Leic.: TYSALL, B.ham: BURLEY,B.ham: SCOTT,B.ham: FISHER, B.ham : PRICHARD,Wales: BEARD,Worc. : SCHREDER, USA