Author Topic: The complicated life of SIMON HANCOCK  (Read 8719 times)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The complicated life of SIMON HANCOCK
« Reply #18 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 14:17 GMT (UK) »
James is married maybe twice - Emma and Mary - some say Emma Nelson. First to Emma and then to Mary, both born Grantham. No marriages found on FindMyPast. Emma, born abt.1845 is with him up to 1871, in 1881 he is a widower, and then in 1891 until his death in 1904 he is with Mary, born abt 1820 and she dies 1903. Will look under James McGregor for a marriage, hadn't realised he may not be Simon's son.

Emma (26 in 1871) can't be the mother of Harriett (15 in 1871). Was he married before the relationship with Emma?

Added: this question is answered (in the affirmative) in the 2007 thread at reply #13 - first wife was Elizabeth Harriman:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=247483.10

In the same entry from Sheila is an 1865 marriage to Emmaline Wilson so perhaps she is "Emma"?

In fact it looks very likely, as the 1871 Hancock household includes James' "brother in law" Benjamin whose surname I read as Wilson, though others have taken it to be Nelson.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 08 January 14 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Now here's a thing - in 1886 (March q 7b 380) Elizabeth McGregor marries William Gardner.
I think Harriett McGregor Hancock who married William Gardner on 28 Oct 1878 dies in 1884 (Dec q 7b 126) - can anyone check if this is the same William Gardner, please? It is not immediately apparent they are the same as in 1881 William G is born in 1851 in Forest of Dean a coal miner. The 2nd WG was born abt 1864 in Nottinghamshire; he is a printer/photographer. maybe related!
Thanks I am slowly sorting it all out
Helen

[/quote]

Emma (26 in 1871) can't be the mother of Harriett (15 in 1871). Was he married before the relationship with Emma?

Added: this question is answered (in the affirmative) in the 2007 thread at reply #13 - first wife was Elizabeth Harriman:

www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=247483.10

In the same entry from Sheila is an 1865 marriage to Emmaline Wilson so perhaps she is "Emma"?

In fact it looks very likely, as the 1871 Hancock household includes James' "brother in law" Benjamin whose surname I read as Wilson, though others have taken it to be Nelson.
[/quote]

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 12 January 14 20:35 GMT (UK) »
It's worth looking in the papers, he and Rebecca were not on the best of terms 1861 when he used threatening language and behaviour, he called her a regular tyrant. There are refs to him in the articles as chimney sweep, just gives you a bit of background. One is a case at Wollaton Hall 1849, he was cleaning a chimney and found someone who had hung himself during a temporary fit of insanity.

When Isaiah was baptised, Alice was a lace runner as was Rebecca
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline dhelensmith

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 13 January 14 12:16 GMT (UK) »
It's worth looking in the papers, he and Rebecca were not on the best of terms 1861 when he used threatening language and behaviour, he called her a regular tyrant. There are refs to him in the articles as chimney sweep, just gives you a bit of background. One is a case at Wollaton Hall 1849, he was cleaning a chimney and found someone who had hung himself during a temporary fit of insanity.

When Isaiah was baptised, Alice was a lace runner as was Rebecca

Thanks for that - I had found the piece about the court case - but not looked under chimney sweep - I have only used FindMyPast so far for articles. The Pelican Pub in Radford seems a lively place to be for the Hancock boys.

Did you find how Alice relates to Rebecca?

Still pinning my hopes on the marriage certificate in 1854 - was Simon bachelor or widowed?
Thanks again
Helen

Offline nottsgirl1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 13 January 14 18:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Helen,

Yes Simon was a widower I now have the copies of the marriages for you, one in 1819 at St Mary's to Ann Towle the one in 1854 and then his son Simon in 1864, if you pm me your email address I'll send the to you.

All the best

NG1
Branfoot of Leeds; Nall of Nottingham; Wallis of Stapleford Nottinghamshire; Challand of  East Bridgford Notinghamshire: Hall of Fransfield Nottinghamshire;
Morral of Stanton By Dale, Derbyshire;