Author Topic: FORCES WAR RECORDS - IS IT A SCAM?  (Read 48941 times)

Offline Connie Sparrow

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: FORCES WAR RECORDS - IS IT A SCAM?
« Reply #72 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 23:42 GMT (UK) »

It still comes back to the member having to shoulder some responsibility. Are people really that eager that they cant take 5 minutes to read what they are "signing" up for  ???  Or they would rather be hand held through the whole process like children and keep having things repeated to them  ???

Sure anyone signing up to anything should take some responsibility for their actions.  When it comes to genealogical sites, I don't believe every one does read the small print.  Maybe because it is in a very small type face, because there is too much of it, because it's too complicated or any or all of the above.

I doubt anyone wants to be treated like a child but there are times when being absolutely, completely and utterly clear is necessary; especially when it comes to money.  I must admit I don't much like these rolling subscriptions.  Far better (IMO of course) to block access when the subscription runs out.  Email reminders can be directed to a junk mail folder so be missed.  A redirection to a page that says in BIG letters "Your subscription has expired" is more likely to send someone scrambling for their plastic to renew, and better for the site so there aren't threads like this one :)

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Thursday 23 January 14 01:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi DH999

Thanks for coming and answering some questions about the site. I have found the discussions very interesting.  :)   

I hope that we can all get along and continue this interesting discussion without things getting too heated.  People are entitled to an opinion and to respond to comments -  but please can we remember to treat each other with the respect Rootschat expects :).

I have a couple of queries to add if I may...

You say here "this is something we updated a month ago".   What are you referring to specifically. Are you saying that the site will now be sending out reminders before a renewal is done or have I mis-understood?

Hi DH999,

Just one more constructive comment.  As quite a number of people seem to be affected by the continuous payment renewal.(I notice there are also complaints on other forums).

In the pursuit of excellent customer service, could you not send out an automated email, in the same way many other sites operate a few days before you automatically renew?  I am sure that your customers would appreciate it, and it would reduce adverse comments posted on forums.

In my book, one disgruntled customer is one too many.

Steve

Hi Steve,
Quite right, this is something we updated about a month ago.

And secondly, something people are really interested in is what you have EXCLUSIVELY - and I can now see from the link you gave that these are marked with a yellow star. This exclusive material does appear to have grown over recent years so thumbs up for that.

But... what I would like to clarify is what the FWR definition of "exclusive" is as some of those marked have WO National Archive References or are transcribed from books.   Doesn't this mean the info is therefore available elsewhere?   

Also - collections such as the 1861 Census Serving Personnel - is this really exclusive information? Is it extracted from the main 1861 Census - or is it info that does NOT appear in 1861 Census on any other site?

Thanks

Milly
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Thursday 23 January 14 04:39 GMT (UK) »
I have been doing my genealogy and sometimes work for others for about 35 years. I have only paid for (to use) three sites and the information they offer.

a. GRO London/Southport
b. Durham Records Online
c. Scotlands People/Register House, Edinburgh

One site that shall remain nameless charges according to whether the user is either a "red" member or a "green" member and non-members who have good information may have to pay to help others on the site. Needless to say I do not get involved in that site.

Offline stevew101

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Stotfold Boy
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Thursday 23 January 14 06:38 GMT (UK) »
Thought that this was relevant to the thread -

The Office of Fair Trading principles for Continuous Automated Payments states that before the contract......

Consumer consent to a CPA should not be assumed - such as through the use of opt out provisions.  The consumer must positively indicate their informed consent to the use of a CPA.  For example, where a consumer is offered a free trial, after which payment will be taken, the consumer will be asked to agree to the actual liability before any payments are taken.  Failure to do so may result in the contract being considered unenforceable.  They should not just be contained in "Terms and Conditions".

Source - Office of Fair Trading Website

The full OFT principles for CAP's can be found here...

http://www.oft.gov.uk/business-advice/treating-customers-fairly/cpa-principles/

If the customer is asked to agree the actual liability before any payment is taken as above, then there can be no argument after the event.

Steve
**Please ask if you wish to modify my restores**    HFD Turner-Warwick-Gentle-Game-Harris-Howard-Clements-Gould-James-Lee-Cooper-Castle-Pallet-Hide-Barns-Watts-Swain-Shatbolt-Bonfield-Gundrill-Izard-Impy-Ellis-Carter-Honour BFD Gentle-Tansley-Bly-Rowney-Wilshire-Fisher-Tingay-Ivory-Clark SFK Jay-Norman-Ship ESX Jay-Mann-Gould-Fletcher MIDDX Roberts-Longe AUSTRALIA - Henry Gentle 1795-1865

Offline DH999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Thursday 23 January 14 07:50 GMT (UK) »
having read the latest comments on this convo which seems to have got heated.......   the site in question must have done one heck of a lot of databasing to have "exclusive " material since last my team looked..........  AND ..we will check that out .......       thoroughly but I doubt we will find anything superior as war records were fairly tightly done.

.....as for Sophia sending constant junk mail to folk maybe you could fix that problem........... :)

I'm really confused by your comments fastfusion.

Are you saying by 'tightly done' that you believe you have all British and Commonwealth records possible?

We have professional researches at TNA every working day of the week and are finding information not on any other sites almost daily.

We currently have over 1 million records waiting to be transcribed not on any other site.

Of course, new collections may have some records we and other sites may hold, but most also hold new personnel records as well.

Regarding emails, if you send me your email address and I'll ensure you are unsubscribed. I'm assuming you clicked on the link in any of the the emails you received to unsubscribe?

Offline DH999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Thursday 23 January 14 07:51 GMT (UK) »
I've put myself forward to answer anyone's serious queries.

If anyone else has anything they'd like to ask I'm happy to respond.

Your one brave person  ;D
Whether people agree or disagree with you i commend you on putting your hand up and replying to this thread.

Thank you giblet. Just trying to show we're not monsters, and are really here to try and help!

Offline DH999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Thursday 23 January 14 08:59 GMT (UK) »

In my professional experience, over 80% of people doing genealogy are beginners, [...]

I have explained the medal situation previously, but there are many, many other mistakes someone without local knowledge, let alone local language makes.

Wow!  Talk about adding insult to injury!  :D

In my experience, a good 80% of people doing genealogy are definitely NOT beginners.  About 20% are beginners.  A small percentage will fall by the wayside when they discover they can't simply pick up a weighty volume and find their entire family history all nicely printed out.  Others will declare their family tree completed when they get to 1837.

There are many, many experienced researchers on Rootschat, genealogical mailing list, newsgroups and forums as well as some professionals

My own experience dates back 50 years, professionally, semi professionally and amateur.

Does "local language" mean non native English speakers or those unfamiliar with county dialects of which there are many? :)

Methinks it might be time to put away the JCB for I fear the gentleman doth protesteth too much <G>

Connie,
Clearly we are not going to agree on this one, but in our opinion it was far better to employ UK speaking and based people to transcribe UK records. Hence the reason why we do and no doubt pay through the nose for it.

There are shades of grey here, but we don't believe that people whom have never lived in the UK and even worse those that are not native English speakers can be expected to be wholly accurate when transcribing UK records.

You clearly disagree. However, as I have mentioned previously, with employ professional researchers who are in TNA every day, have been in the industry almost all their working life, and of course have also used the leading genealogy websites. It was when consulting with these that we decided to base our team in the UK because of their comments about those having transcription teams abroad to be less accurate.

No idea what you last flippant comment meant, I have explained every question you have asked of me with integrity and honesty as far as I am aware.

Offline DH999

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Thursday 23 January 14 09:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi DH999

Thanks for coming and answering some questions about the site. I have found the discussions very interesting.  :)   

I hope that we can all get along and continue this interesting discussion without things getting too heated.  People are entitled to an opinion and to respond to comments -  but please can we remember to treat each other with the respect Rootschat expects :).

I have a couple of queries to add if I may...

You say here "this is something we updated a month ago".   What are you referring to specifically. Are you saying that the site will now be sending out reminders before a renewal is done or have I mis-understood?

Hi DH999,

Just one more constructive comment.  As quite a number of people seem to be affected by the continuous payment renewal.(I notice there are also complaints on other forums).

In the pursuit of excellent customer service, could you not send out an automated email, in the same way many other sites operate a few days before you automatically renew?  I am sure that your customers would appreciate it, and it would reduce adverse comments posted on forums.

In my book, one disgruntled customer is one too many.

Steve

Hi Steve,
Quite right, this is something we updated about a month ago.

And secondly, something people are really interested in is what you have EXCLUSIVELY - and I can now see from the link you gave that these are marked with a yellow star. This exclusive material does appear to have grown over recent years so thumbs up for that.

But... what I would like to clarify is what the FWR definition of "exclusive" is as some of those marked have WO National Archive References or are transcribed from books.   Doesn't this mean the info is therefore available elsewhere?   

Also - collections such as the 1861 Census Serving Personnel - is this really exclusive information? Is it extracted from the main 1861 Census - or is it info that does NOT appear in 1861 Census on any other site?

Thanks

Milly

Hi Milly,
Yes, that's correct, the renewal reminder emails.

Yes, exclusive to the web in particular. i.e. you cannot search these resources anywhere else online.

Maybe we should add a star to that comment on the webpage, however I believe that most sites use the word 'exclusive' in this fashion.

Offline millymcb

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Thursday 23 January 14 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou all for your comments and the interesting debate.

I think it is now time to lock this topic.

Milly
Armed Forces Moderator
McBride (Monaghan, Manchester), Derbyshire (Bollington,Cheshire), Knight (Newcastle,Staffs), Smith (Chorley, Lancs & Ireland), Tipladay (Manchester & Yorkshire) ,Steadman (Madeley,Shropshire), Steele (Manchester,Glasgow), Parkinson (Wigan, Lancashire), Lovatt, Cornes & Turner (Staffs) Stott (Oldham, Lancs). All ended up Ardwick, Manchester
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk