Author Topic: 1800s 1900ca Barry/Barry IslandBalticTimber Trade years started/ships crew/info  (Read 5176 times)

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1800s 1900ca Barry/Barry IslandBalticTimber Trade years started/ships crew/info
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 18 January 14 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi trellisick

Could not agree with you more about the state of Barry over the years. As a fellow Barrian I have also seen the town (second largest in Wales) go down. Agree with you about all they seem to do is build more houses. Destroy by not supporting entertainment (cinema and fairground are two good examples) is leaving the old town centre a mecca for takeaways and by pushing everything they can to the Waterfront it is just making money for the port owners. Sorry but I could prattle on all day about this.
   This is all so sad.   How about the cafe's under the shelter?   The first two were run by 'Uncle' Frank Thompson, his wife and her family.   Frank died in 1963 in Sydney, but the family carried on for many years that I know of.   The photo would have been taken circa 1945/6 when Frank was demobbed from the RAF and he got a lease from the council on the first café.    Tables were set up outside the back and became the most popular since he and his brother-in-law erected covers on stands for inclement weather.   Trays for the Sands also went well from the kiosk opening out front.
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline bigmagicdog

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: 1800s 1900ca Barry/Barry IslandBalticTimber Trade years started/ships crew/info
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 19 January 14 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Cafe's under the shelter. What memories! As a young lad I was always puzzled by the sign 'tea with your own food' Being that young I thought you had free tea!!
How about the Salvation Army band every Sunday on the beach by No. 2 sea wall and when wet played in the shelter opposite the café.
Gosh I was young and still got happy memories of a vibrant part of Barry (Island).
ANDREWS from Pitney, Martock, and surrounding area of Somerset.
ANDREWS from Hartlepool, Co Durham and surrounding districts.
Family Tree is on web site:  http://daveandrews.tribalpages.com/

Offline Malcolm33

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 19 January 14 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Cafe's under the shelter. What memories! As a young lad I was always puzzled by the sign 'tea with your own food' Being that young I thought you had free tea!!
How about the Salvation Army band every Sunday on the beach by No. 2 sea wall and when wet played in the shelter opposite the café.
Gosh I was young and still got happy memories of a vibrant part of Barry (Island).
   So that is why some items never came back ;)  Frank used to say that there would be one of his teaspoons in the home of every village in the Rhondda Valley - he got them as surplus after the war!!    Anyway you can see some of the mugs that went on the trays in this photo taken in the window kiosk.    Excuse smudged faces but some might just be still alive even though this photo was still in the 1940's.
    I'm sure you will know this Ode to Barry Island by Max Boyce, but for those who don't, it is funny and it is full of memories - "I remember Miners' Fortnight when I was just a lad...."
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzHcVgx7HaY
Hutton: Eccleshill,Queensbury
Grant: Babworth,Chinley
Draffan: Lesmahagow,Douglas,Coylton, Consett
Oliver: Tanfield, Sunderland, Consett
Proudlock: Northumberland
Turnbull:Northumberland, Durham
Robson:Sunderland, Northumberland
Dent: Dufton, Arkengarthdale, Hunstanworth
Currie: Coylton
Morris and Hurst: East Retford, Blyth, Worksop
Elliot: Castleton, Hunstanworth, Consett
Tassie, Greenshields

Offline mona lisa

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 20:53 GMT (UK) »
I am wondering if the Baltic ships coming into the Barry / Island ports would have a crew manifest that is available each time?