Author Topic: Peare in wexford  (Read 10602 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Peare in wexford
« Reply #36 on: Saturday 10 February 24 04:24 GMT (UK) »
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Saturday 10 February 24 04:39 GMT (UK) »
Just realized that the Peare family in the Burrow in the 1901 census was never posted
John Peare senior, with wife Anne Delaney, plus son James and family.
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai001294625/

And again in 1911, though John senior is now a widower
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003609539/
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Saturday 10 February 24 04:45 GMT (UK) »
Family of John Peare junior in the 1911 census, in Burrow townland, with wife Anastasia Walsh and children William and Kathleen. Kathleen being OP's great-grandmother (LewisR1982)
https://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai003609551/

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Saturday 10 February 24 05:07 GMT (UK) »
The Richard Walsh who received the RNLI medal for the 1954 rescue was born in 1916,
the son of another Richard Walsh, of Rosslare, a fisherman.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1916/01326/1547802.pdf

This second Richard Walsh married Mary Doyle in 1901, and was the son of a third Richard Walsh, fisherman, address Rosslare.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1901/10312/5754078.pdf

This third Richard was born 6/6/1872, and was the son of Richard Walsh and Kitty Wickham.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1872/03232/2184806.pdf

Four Richard Walshes in direct paternal line.

So my earlier guess that OP's Walshes are related to the Rosslare RNLI Walshes is correct.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Saturday 10 February 24 05:57 GMT (UK) »
Birth registration for OPs great-grandmother Kate (Catherine) Peare was never posted, so here it is. Born 8/4/1906, Burrow, father John a fisherman.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1906/01737/1686567.pdf

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 10 February 24 06:04 GMT (UK) »
I know there were links to Ballymurn and Kilmallock but not what these connections are.
Lewis.

Lewis,
Not clear what you mean here. Is it that there is a tradition in your own family of a link to those locations? Or is it that you simply noticed that there were Peare families in those locations from browsing on the web?

Offline LewisR1982

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Saturday 10 February 24 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi wexflyer, thanks for all the links, these definitely firm up a lot of what I had been told by various family members.

Regarding the link to ballymurn and Kilmallock….my great aunt Carrie (daughter of Kathleen peare) told me that she thought her branch of the peares had come originally from ballymurn. I had a little google and did find peares there, especially in relation to a kilmallock house, but could find no connection to those peares and my peares to sure up her original thoughts.
I assume that info was passed down to her in some way but I can find nothing to prove it correct.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Saturday 10 February 24 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Regarding the link to ballymurn and Kilmallock….my great aunt Carrie (daughter of Kathleen peare) told me that she thought her branch of the peares had come originally from ballymurn. I had a little google and did find peares there, especially in relation to a kilmallock house, but could find no connection to those peares and my peares to sure up her original thoughts.
I assume that info was passed down to her in some way but I can find nothing to prove it correct.

Well, that may be a problem.

For Kilmallock House see
https://www.buildingsofireland.ie/buildings-search/building/15703250/kilmallock-house-kilmallock-wexford
and
http://www.iftn.ie/locationsireland/irishlocationstype/houses/?act1=record&aid=90&force=1&only=1&rid=251&tpl=archive3locations

The Peares of Kilmallock were evidently Protestant minor gentry.
Your Peares were evidently Catholic laborers, originating with John Peare born sometime around the 1830s.

The obvious way to reconcile these differences is that John may have been born on the wrong side of the blanket, as the euphemism goes. And that can be very difficult to document, for several reasons:
- The father of illegitimate children is frequently unnamed.
- More fundamentally, the Crossabeg parish registers filmed by the NLI don't start until 1856, and that for baptisms only.  There may be earlier records under local control

One ray of hope is that there is a descendant of these Peares active here on RootsChat - N. Peare, who made post #10 in this thread. He was last online in December. He stated that he has family documentation. Obviously you should contact him - though I doubt anyone would create or keep documentation of such an event! But if you both took DNA tests, this would rapidly establish the truth or otherwise of the story. [And I am interested to see if there is a link on your Walsh side, if you take a test]