Author Topic: Bedwellty Marriages  (Read 10453 times)

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
Re: Bedwellty Marriages
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 January 14 20:59 GMT (UK) »
This seems quite confusing Roy as he isn't listed in the commonwealth war graves list and a website on the war memorial has that it is possibly meant to be Herbert Tratman?

Kev
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline MarMnkly

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Always looking back
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 January 14 21:05 GMT (UK) »
hi Roy, just another thought..
The War Memorials Trust says that those commemorated on a war memorial can have died in action, in wartime accidents and friendly fire, or can have died of wounds or from disease either during or subsequent to a conflict.
There is a death record for George Trotman, Bedwelly, 1922 aged 42. This would fit with the George married to Annie we have discussed earlier.

Looking at his records online, it talks about some issue relating to his lungs, that I cannot make out. Could it be possible that he died from wounds or disease subsequent to the conflict (1922) and so was added to the memorial?

Margaret
Surname Interests
Massey, Munkley, Powell, Thompson, Thurkettle

Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 January 14 21:10 GMT (UK) »
Would make sense. Herbert (or Bert/Bertie) is George's younger brother. He was killed in 1915, but his medal card suggests he was a private rather than Corporal

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 25 January 14 21:12 GMT (UK) »
Sounds the most likely to me as well Margaret, not listed in soldiers died either, maybe ordering the death certificate would be the way to go

wood,west,williams,morgan,sollars,hawker,snell,roach,clark,symons. In bristol,fremington,instow,rhymney,colyton

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 25 January 14 21:23 GMT (UK) »
The servcie record looks like it says "Tub of lung" - outcome is not aggravated by war service and no pension award (c1919). Presumably tuberculosis and would link with a 1922 death

Offline Kevwood

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • my little man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 25 January 14 21:43 GMT (UK) »
Im now wondering why if his brother Herbert died in the war in 1915 why isnt he on the memorial?

Did he just live elsewhere?

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 25 January 14 21:57 GMT (UK) »
George was the head of household in 1911 (31) with a sister and 2 brothers including Bert (20) and his widowed mother, in Capel Street, Bargoed.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 25 January 14 22:17 GMT (UK) »
George Tratman (21) and Bertie (10) living with parents and other siblings at Bute Terrace, Gelligaer in 1901 [RG13 piece 5021 folio 139 page 13]

George Tratman (age 10) and Bertie (age 1 month) living with parents and other siblings at Cottages, Tir Ferch Green, Gelligaer, Brithdir in 1891 [RG12 piece 4431 folio 116 page 11]

George Trotman (1), born Tidman? Monmouthshire, living with parents George and Elizabeth Trotman and siblings at Railway Row, Bedwelty in 1881 [RG11 piece 5244 folio 84 page 47]
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 26 January 14 06:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kev
The memorial site on the GHS is incorrect.  The name of Herbert Trautman was added by the site webmaster whilst setting up the page and I have mentioned to him that it is incorrect, I will see to it that it is amended. 

I too wondered why Herbert was not named on a cenotaph. The family later moved to Bargoed and although I read in a old local newspaper reporting  'Bert' Trotman/Tratman of Bargoed, killed in action, he is not named on Bargoed or Brithdir. The only conclusion I can think of is George's wife requested his name to be commemorated.

Thanks Roy 
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.