Author Topic: Staffordshire Archives-marriage lookup  (Read 1966 times)

Offline anubis145

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Staffordshire Archives-marriage lookup
« on: Thursday 09 January 14 05:01 GMT (UK) »
I'm wondering whether anyone visiting Staffordshire Archives would be kind enough to check the parish registers for a marriage. I am unable to do it myself because I don't live in the UK. The transcriptions on the Wolverhampton History website and FreeReg refer to a marriage on 13th August 1848 between John Aston and Ann Harrison (her father is noted as Samuel Harrison). I have a marriage certificate that shows her surname as Harris. I want to discount the possibility of incorrect information being sent to the Registrar because the mother of the groom, John Aston, was also Ann nee Harris. It might be that the information on FreeReg has been taken from the existing transcription resulting in an error being repeated but I need to be certain.

Offline gc1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Staffordshire Archives-marriage lookup
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 January 14 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Not want you asked for but BmD site and LDS site have this (could still be as you say a miss information or miss transcribed) but both say Harris???

BmD
Marriages Sep 1848   
ASTON    John        Wolverhampton    17   344    
HARRIS    Ann         Wolverhampton    17   344   

LDS
Name:    John Aston
Spouse's Name:    Ann Harris
Spouse's Birth Date:    1829
Spouse's Age:    19
Event Date:    13 Aug 1848
Event Place:    St. Peter'S, Wolverhampton, Stafford, England
Father's Name:    William Aston
Spouse's Father's Name:    Samuel Harris
Collison & Watts in Headcorn & Hollingborne (Kent UK) & Michigan (USA)
Kavanagh in Wexford (Eire) Michigan & California (USA)
Salisbury, Burls & Vanstone (UK & Gibraltar)

Offline anubis145

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Staffordshire Archives-marriage lookup
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 January 14 23:37 GMT (UK) »
Yes, that is the marriage certificate I have and I had no reason to question it until I saw FreeReg and the Wolverhampton History website (hadn't seen it on the IGI). What threw me is that when Ann died in Australia her son, who was the informant, gave her maiden surname as Harrison, something I had always assumed to be an error. I'm worried that this might be one of those instances where a mistake repeated often enough comes to be an unquestionable fact. I would just be interested to know what the actual entry in the parish register says to put my mind at rest.