Author Topic: DAVID WALTERS OF LANGWITH, DERBYSHIRE.  (Read 12400 times)

Offline benaveiga

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DAVID WALTERS OF LANGWITH, DERBYSHIRE.
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 12 January 14 21:08 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help giblet..all this took place in the late 30's and early 40's. I dont knoe how old your dad is. The yates were a big family who lived at 112 bathurst terrace. And my mothers aunt virginia "ginny", yates had one of the first if not the first telly in langwith. My mum always remembers the house full of kids watching tv.

Offline giblet

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 12 January 14 21:11 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the help giblet..all this took place in the late 30's and early 40's. I dont knoe how old your dad is. The yates were a big family who lived at 112 bathurst terrace. And my mothers aunt virginia "ginny", yates had one of the first if not the first telly in langwith. My mum always remembers the house full of kids watching tv.

My dad was born in the mid 1930's. They lived in French Terrace Langwith. He is one of the Shipman family.

Offline benaveiga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 12 January 14 21:16 GMT (UK) »
Possibly George Bytheway may have been a great uncle - will wait until birth cert to arrive to see what mother's name is - no guessing

How have you managed to get back to 1535 with David's line ??? How do you know who his father was??? I know father was named on marriage cert - but that could have been his grandfathers name or a made up name or of course his father's name???

Suz
his father is down as james ( deceased) on the wedding cert. The only james i found on ancestry that matched was one who died the same year in the mansfield district. His father was named David..coincidence?? The rest was connect the dots..walters back to cranes from kiddiminster.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 January 14 21:43 GMT (UK) »
The James Walters who died Sept qtr 1939 Mansfield reg dist  was age 82 when he died -this would make him c. 63yrs  when David was born?

The only James b. c. 1857 I can find  with father David is James Walter age 2 in 1861 census b Cardiff Glam - and James Walters age 7 in 1861 census b Pembrokeshire

What James have you found??? -- I am interested as I have Walter(s) in my tree and some ended up in  the mansfield area

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline benaveiga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 13 January 14 09:37 GMT (UK) »
The James i found was born in Ecklington, Derbyshire in 1897. Making him 42 more or less when he died, and being a miner, it wasnt uncommon. His father was David, born in 1866 in Dudley, not to mention his grandfather, nathaniel, born in 1821 in Hagely and a career criminal, jailed twice for felony and larceny in 1843/45.
Still have to wait for Davids birth cert, though. I live in Spain so it takes about a week to get here.

Offline benaveiga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 12:53 GMT (UK) »
David Walters (not Bytheway) was born the 1st of Februrary at 125 Bathurst Terrace (scarcliffe). His mother was SARAH ELLEN BYTHEWAY and his father was......left blank.
The informant was EMILY BYTHEWAY (grandmother and present at the birth).

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 23 January 14 12:10 GMT (UK) »
If David was registered in the Bythway name (as we found) then his name on birth certificate should be Bytheway
Does it read "David Walters" (in first column) "son of Sarah Ellen Bytheway"(in next column)

This means Walters was his middle name and Bytheway his surname.

I wonder if James Walters kept in touch - or even paid to David ?
One of my family was in a similar situation and his father bequeathed him most of his estate when he died

This looks like the baptism recordof David's mother

Sarah Ellen Bytheway
12 Jun 1901
Staveley Derbys
parents William & Emily Bytheway

1901 census
17 Polebrook Staveley Derbys
William Bytheway head M 22 Coal Hewer Staveley Derbys
Emily wife 19 Whittington
SARAH E daughter 1mth Staveley Derbys

there is this marriage reg
Sarah E Bytheway
William G Tonks
Dec qtr 1920
Mansfield
7b 236
so did David's mother marry later in 1920??

This looks like the death reg of Emily (Sarah E's mother)
Emily Bythway
Dec qtr 1968
age 85
Chesterfield
3a 213
and death reg of William
William Bytheway
Mar qtr 1946
Chesterfield
age 70
3a 218

This looks like the marriage of Sarah E's parents
William Bytheway
Emily Ferreday
Jun qtr 1900
Chesterfield
7b 1551

William Bytheway had a brother named George - maybe he was the one who witnessed David's marriage????

Do you want me to find more about the Bytheways??

Could you tell me where you found the death reg for James Walters?
I cannot find one of the correct age

There is a marriage in Mansfield reg district which may be a contender for James?
Marriage reg
James Walters
Nancie Shenett?
Mar qtr 1926
Mansfield
7b 198

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline benaveiga

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 23 January 14 12:49 GMT (UK) »
All that about the Bytheways i researched a couple of days ago. I got them going back to Edward in 1808, who originally came from Dudely, Worcestershire.
One of the sad cases was Richard, Davids great uncle who died on August 22nd, 1915, in Gallipoli, Turkey. He was in the Connaught Rangers, an Irish regiment. He landed there at Anzac cove on the 15th. He survived only 7 days.
As for James, by a series of deductions..the fact that David was born in 1920 (so his father survived WW1 or didnt go) and on the marriage certificate it says James is deceased, so by 1939 he was dead. The only james i found old (or young) enough to be his father, and who died in before Dec. 1939 and lived in the area was James Walters from Eckington, born in 1897 and who died in the mansfield district in Sept. 1939.
Take a look at my tree on ancestry, if you havnt already..its public.

Just as a side note, if she did marry Tonks in Dec 1920, maybe she didnt put davids fathers name down..as she wasnt sure if it was James or it was Tonks...
Sarah ellens parent, William and Emily were married the 17th April 1900, in stavely.

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 23 January 14 13:01 GMT (UK) »
The James i found was born in Ecklington, Derbyshire in 1897. Making him 42 more or less when he

I think the James you found was born in Dudley -not Eckington

1901/1911 census he gives p.o.b. asDudley - some of his siblings were b Eckington
I cannot find a birth reg in Eckington (Chesterfield reg dist) -but think this is possibly his birth reg
James Walters
Mar qtr 1894 Dudley6c 138
1901 he is age 7 and 1911 age 17
what district was his death registered?

I thought from your original post you were seeking information on the Bytheways - sorry if I misread

Suz