Author Topic: WW1 Alfred Wilde  (Read 590 times)

Offline shropshire lad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WW1 Alfred Wilde
« on: Tuesday 14 January 14 16:38 GMT (UK) »
Help please.  Trying to find info regarding Alfred Wilde b9/12/1889 Shropshire. (parents Robert & Ann Wilde)
He was my grandfather who did not speak of ww1 much only he went through from start to finish ending the last 6 months as PoW in Bulgaria. Was in major battles at the Somme. I got this information out of him very late in his life but I did not ask about his regiment. Now I have the almost impossible task of trying to trace his military records!
Can anyone help. I have had a half hearted attempt but failed and I do understand that a large portion of the records were burnt, One of his brothers, William (KSLI) was KIA 20/11/1917.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WW1 Alfred Wilde
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 22:58 GMT (UK) »
If you have access to local papers there may be a report of his return from POW camp?

Maybe the in memoriam page on anniversary of brothers death also may give a family notice?

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline shropshire lad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 07:51 GMT (UK) »
Yes I will give that ago & see what comes up. Thank you.

Offline Gwil

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 10:28 GMT (UK) »
Harry Wilde of 1 Lawn View, Belle View Road, Shrewsbury was 200280 in 4th KSLI. No sign of Alfred at that address. Have upou another address for him?

Gwil