Author Topic: Ballylintagh Presbyterian church.  (Read 4183 times)

Offline genid

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ballylintagh Presbyterian church.
« on: Tuesday 14 January 14 18:18 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to locate any possible marriage and baptismal register for this church.
In PRONI there is only a marriage register from 1872 to 1883.
BUT I have a marriage certificate for a Joseph Archibald (formerly of Bellisle, father Nathaniel) of Collins. later Lisnamuck,  near Aghadowey, who married Elizabeth Workman, daughter of William Workman (deceased) of Culdrum, this was in 1846, the first registered marriage in that church -- BUT it is NOT in the NI marriage indexes nor any mention of it in the GRO Belfast - I did get a copy of the cert from Dublin, it appears on the Mormons website Irish marriage indexes, with volume and page number.
Does anybody know where the older marriage register is ????
William Workman is probably the one buried in Aghadowey Pres. graveyard in 1833 with a son William.
Is there any information as to his wife's name ?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ballylintagh Presbyterian church.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Firstly, the only records from Ballylintagh Presbyterian Church is the register that you've found. No earlier register for marriages or any for baptisms is known to exist (I'd also like to get my hands on those records).

William Workman & son are buried in the Parish (Church of Ireland) not Presbyterian church-
St. Guaire's Parish Church, Aghadowey: "Erected in memory of William Workman Junr. late of Culdrum who departed this life 7th September 1833 aged 37 years. Also his son William who departed this life on the 9th March 1847 Aged 18 years."

William Sr. was (probably) the son of another William Workman and had a brother James and sister Jane. He (William Sr. might have been married to Ellen and been the father of Mary Ann born c1830).

Are you connected to the family at all? if so, would be interested in comparing notes.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 22:50 GMT (UK) »
Coleraine Chronicle, 25 Feb.1860 (page 3): Mr. Joseph Archibald of Culdrum, having recently purchased that extensive farm in Lisnamuck, laterly held in perpetuity by Archibald Moon, Esq. for the sum of nearly £2000.

Coleraine Chronicle, 12 Oct.1872 (page 2): Land in Perpetuity, Parish of Aghadowey. To be Sold In the townland of Lisnamuck, in the possession of Mr. Joseph Archibald the Vendor. 80 acres arable and 10 acres bog.

Coleraine Chronicle, 18 Sept.1869: William Archibald, Lisnamuck died aged 22 years, student of divinity.

Ballylintagh Presbyterian churchyard: In memory of Joseph Archibald, late of Lisnamuck who died 1st June 1884 aged 70 years. Also his wife Eliza Jane who died 13th Sept 1885 aged 60 years. Their son William who died 15th Sept 1869 aged 22 years. Also their two children Joseph and John who died in infancy. Their son Nathaniel who died 17th Sept 1885, aged 43 years.

I have a note that says Nath, Archibald had approx. 25 acres in Collins (1833) but may not have lived there. 1842 Joseph Archibald had 35 acres 2 rods 10 perches in Collins (later A. McKeague).

Will Extract- "Letters of Administration of the personal estate of Joseph Archibald late of Lisnamuck County Londonderry Farmer who died 1 June 1884 at same place were granted at Londonderry to Nathaniel Archibald of Lisnamuck Farmer the Son." Effects £1,305.

Offline genid

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 11:48 GMT (UK) »
Very many thanks Aghadowey for all that information - I'm heading to PRONI tomorrow and the Ballylintagh graveyard was on my list.
My two queries were linked - the church and the Boyce family - William Boyce son of Thomas married Joseph Archibalds daughter Anne Eliza Archibald, their children all born in the Garvagh area, I presume from Cah ( Crosshill ).  This is why I'm still trying to figure out the family from that area.
I noticed in an earlier query that you mention a Matthew Boyce, son of Robert of Craeshill - Crosshill in Cah ?? - Matthew died 20 Mar 1867 aged 48 yrs so is probably the one you mentioned as being baptisd in 1st Garvagh to a Robert Boyce - are there any other Boyce baptisms in the area - apart from Hugh Boyces family (a son of Thomas of Cah ??) in 2nd Garvagh, I can find no others.
Joseph Archibald had another two sisters - Sarah and Ellen - Sarah married a Hughes and Ellen a Healy both in the USA - another grandchild May Archibald was in the USA - this from Nathaniel Archibalds will of 1895 - his sister Anne Boyce of Coleraine is also mentioned.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 12:25 GMT (UK) »
Is this Ann (Archibald) Boyce & family?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Coleraine/James_Street/1518544/

There are lots of Boyce's in and around Cah. Certainly some baptisms in First Garvagh and possible Third Garvagh as well but will have to check my files.

Not sure if you'd find anything about Ballylintagh burying-ground in PRONI but I've transcribed the gravestones.

Very, very interested in Archibald/Workman connection.

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 01 April 16 09:42 BST (UK) »
I came across this marriage yesterday in Magilligan Presbyterian Church registers:

Marriage no.63
Married at Mrs Kane's, Tircrevan: July 10th 1830 - Nathaniel Archibald of Ballylintagh, Co Antrim (Mr Stewart's congregation) to Mrs Elizabeth Kane, widow, Tircrevan. Present - John Taite, Woodtown & Betty Quinn.

I assume that the minister made a mistake in placing Ballylintagh in Co Antrim? There is a Ballylintagh in Macosquin & one in Aghadowey.

Widow Elizabeth Kane, Tircrevan appears in the 1815 membership list for Magilligan. Her son Robert Kane of Tircrevan married Elizabeth Ross from Coleraine.

Need help in determining where Nathanial Archibald was from (I think the Ballylintagh refers to the congregation rather than a townland?)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 01 April 16 11:38 BST (UK) »
Usually in old Presbyterian marriage records, such as this one, the minister gives the congregation the person came from rather than the townland (although sometimes a parish is listed instead). I do think Co. Antrim is just a misunderstanding as Ballylintagh is near the county border.

The Archibalds of Lisnamuck (Aghadowey Parish) belonged to Ballylintagh Presbyterian Church. I have a note that there was a Nath. Archibald with approx. 25 acres in Collins townland although he may not have lived there.

Note: Joseph Archibald purchased the farm in Lisnamuck in (Feb.?) 1860 for 'nearly £2000" from Archibald Moon. This Joseph Archibald had a son Nathaniel (c1842-1887).

Added- there is one townland of Ballylintagh- part in Aghadowey parish & part in Macosquin parish.

Offline Gortinanima

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 01 April 16 11:57 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that Aghagowey.

On 3rd April 1812 a Nathaniel Arsbell (Archibald) married Sarah McPherson in First Garvagh Presbyterian Church.

The united congregations of Ballylintagh & Garvagh seems to have come into existence around 1813.

William Stewart, from East Campbell Street ; called to united congregations of Ballylintagh and Garvagh, Ireland, and was ordained their pastor at Glasgow, 9th October 1817.

https://archive.org/stream/annalsstatistics00scot/annalsstatistics00scot_djvu.txt

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 01 April 16 12:03 BST (UK) »
Joseph Archibald (mentioned in previous post) was born c1814 and I think William who died young was a brother. Let me know if you want more details on the family but unfortunately I don't think I have anything further on Nathaniel.