Author Topic: Ballymore Eustace parish records  (Read 8790 times)

Offline chrisscales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Ballymore Eustace parish records
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 16 January 14 13:36 GMT (UK) »
Another theory is that Frances Malone was Frances Malone by birth, and Edward thought his father was John Malone. That is based on a marriage Frances Malone and Peter Byrne, Ballymore Eustace RC, Dec 1967. But I'm not sure if it really fits, it stretches the facts a bit...

Offline merseult

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 13:42 GMT (UK) »
Does anybody know the 'completeness' of the Ballymore Eustace parish records available on Roots Ireland for 1839-1899? http://kildare.rootsireland.ie/generic.php?filename=sources.tpl&selectedMenu=sources

My ancestor Edward Malone was born in Ballymore Eustace in about 1868 (father John Malone, mother Frances) but I've been unable to find a baptism or practically anything using the Roots Ireland search, even just using 'Malone'. Am I doing something wrong or are the records majorly incomplete? I am also looking for his parents marriage there, presumably 1860s.

There are no notes at Kildare Genealogy's site to state there are gaps: http://www.kildare.ie/genealogy/genealogical-sources.asp

Thanks

From my experience, there are significant gaps in the Ballymore Eustace records arising from illegibility (faded ink or whatever) but from memory, the records themselves are all there and intact.  I haven't seen the original records (my father went through them in the 1970s with the now deceased parish priest and ratifies my story) but I have seen the microfilms in the National Library in Dublin.  I don't have a list of what is legible and what is illegible but from my own family research, I know for example that marriages from 1860-1862 are illegible, likewise births and marriages in the 1830s and births in the early 1810s.  Rootsireland are presumably working from the microfilms so would have encountered these same issues. 
O'Brien O'Shea Humphreys Kevane Burke Cooley O'Sullivan Cahill Whittle Moran Dunne Moore Cahalane Kennedy Lewis

Offline chrisscales

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 04 March 14 18:48 GMT (UK) »
The IFHF Kildare Genealogy Centre told me there are no known gaps, but as you say I'm sure there are difficult/illegible sections in the microfilms and originals. As I understand it the IFHF transcriptions were done years ago and aren't necessarily perfect. But thanks for this, very interesting - unlikely I'll make it Dublin anytime soon, it's a shame they never let the Latter Day Saints have copies of the films... Chris