Author Topic: Travel Adelaide to Victoria 1858  (Read 633 times)

Offline Lazarus

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Travel Adelaide to Victoria 1858
« on: Wednesday 15 January 14 21:49 GMT (UK) »
I think I have established that my ancestor John Hammer Harry from Cornwall arrived Adelaid Apr 1858 on " Storm Cloud "
However his next sighting is 3 Jun 1865 when he married Elizabeth Ann Wellington at Beechworth Victoria.They settled at nearby Eldorado and raised a large family.
My task is to discover where he was over those missing years also how and when he made his way to Victoria.
I suppose he may have worked in mines in South Australia or coastal shipping might have been available in order to travel to Victoria.

Can anyone help please?

With thanks
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Travel Adelaide to Victoria 1858
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 22:02 GMT (UK) »
We have researched the exact request previously.  There were at least two John HARRY's who arrived in South Australia in the period.

Link to previous request
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=670401.0

Cando
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 15 January 14 22:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Cando
How stupid of me.
I am confident that it was my JHH who arrived on the "Storm Cloud".
I think there may have been coastal passages available upon arrival Adelaide and this may be how he travelled to Victoria.
If I could only find him before he turns up at Eldorado some years later.

Sorry

Rex
Wyatt and Wood of Glossop, Derbyshire. Longstaff of Bishop Auckland,Durham. Harry of St Austell and St Kew,Cornwall. Charters of County Antrim.Knight of Warwickshire.Hendy of Ballyedmonduff.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 16 January 14 07:42 GMT (UK) »
Rex, I have wondered the same sort of thing about one of my ggm - how did she get from Adelaide through to southern NSW in a short time in the 1850s.

Coastal shipping perhaps?
Shanks' pony perhaps?
Horseback?
Cobb & Co (if they were around then)

We'll probably never know.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Lazarus

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 16 January 14 07:57 GMT (UK) »
Hello Dawn M
I recall reading a newspaper advertisment in an Adelaide newspaper coinciding with the arrival of "Storm Cloud",offering passages Adelaide to Victoria.
Our chances of solving but you never know.

Thanks
Rex