Author Topic: Photos? St Clement churchyard, Old Romney - DOWLE family  (Read 10413 times)

Offline DavidEB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Photos? St Clement churchyard, Old Romney - DOWLE family
« Reply #27 on: Sunday 09 July 23 15:25 BST (UK) »
Hi OzGen
Thank you for your interest.  It is some years since I researched this line in detail and having just got back from holiday I will need a little time to review how I came to the decision I did.  I think the only issue we differ on is the parents of Abraham Dowle who married Susanna Grey.
There were too many Abrahams!
Regards
DavidEB

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
  • I came from over the sea ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Tuesday 11 July 23 12:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks, David.
You are right about the over-supply of Abrahams! They seemed to favour certain names in every generation and so it does get very confusing.

I hope you've had a lovely holiday. I will be interested to see anything you post when you get a chance to review.

Take care,
OzJen
Bennett (Aspley Guise & Luton, Beds); Elijah Bambridge (Burslem, Staff); Thomas Carr-Parkhurst boy (Loughrea, Gal'y); Dowle (Romney Marshes, Kent + London); Duffy (Trim, Meath); Joseph Kaye (Mirfield, W.Yks); Leonard (Meath); Mary Mulfahy/Fahy-famine orphan (Nenagh, Tipp'y); Elizabeth Hoskin (Illogan, Cornw); Wm Henry Pearce (Tucking Mill, Cornw, Burra, S.Aust); Ruddell (Kilmore, Armagh); Shepherd (Elstree, Herts); John/Clarissa Short (Bodmin, Cornw); Benjmn Thomas RN 1820s; Wright (Ballylisk).

Offline DavidEB

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 14:19 BST (UK) »
Hi OzJen
I have looked at my records and this was my thinking.
Abraham Dowle, b. 1673, and Agnes Hall had two sons named Abraham Dowle baptized in Old Romney in 1702 and 1704.  There are corresponding burials in Old Romney for Abraham sons of Abraham and Agnes.
The Abraham, son of Abraham and Elizabeth (Marketman), was baptized in Lydd in 1708 and there is no corresponding infant burial for Abraham.  So, I concluded that the Abraham who married Susannah Grey was the son of William Dowle and Elizabeth Marketman.
Incidentally the Marketmans were a prestigious family and descended from the Stroughills who were also big in Lydd.
I happened to visit Old Romney back in April and took photos of the three Dowle gravestones under the ancient Yew tree.  You can still read the inscriptions.  Did you manage to get photos you requested a while back?
David

Offline OzJen

• RootsChat Member
  • I came from over the sea ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 14 July 23 09:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you, David.
I will go through my information over the next couple of days and send back. We currently have extremely limited Internet access so I will have to wait for that to improve.
I would be grateful to receive copies of your photos, if possible, please - especially if the inscriptions can still be read. That's amazing, given their age!
For now,
OzJen
Bennett (Aspley Guise & Luton, Beds); Elijah Bambridge (Burslem, Staff); Thomas Carr-Parkhurst boy (Loughrea, Gal'y); Dowle (Romney Marshes, Kent + London); Duffy (Trim, Meath); Joseph Kaye (Mirfield, W.Yks); Leonard (Meath); Mary Mulfahy/Fahy-famine orphan (Nenagh, Tipp'y); Elizabeth Hoskin (Illogan, Cornw); Wm Henry Pearce (Tucking Mill, Cornw, Burra, S.Aust); Ruddell (Kilmore, Armagh); Shepherd (Elstree, Herts); John/Clarissa Short (Bodmin, Cornw); Benjmn Thomas RN 1820s; Wright (Ballylisk).

Online bearkat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Sunday 16 July 23 11:26 BST (UK) »
The gravestones have been transcribed here

https://kentarchaeology.org.uk/research/monumental-inscriptions/old-romney

The DOWLL(E) graves are numbers 41 and 42.

Middx - VAUS, ROBERTS, EVERSFIELD, INMAN, STAR, HOLBECK, WYATT, BICKFORD, SMITH, REDWOOD
Hants - SMALL, HAMMERTON, GRIST, FRYER, TRODD, DAGWELL, PARKER, WOODFORD, CROUTEAR, BECK, BENDELL, KEEPING, HARDING, BULL
Kent - BAYLY, BORER, MITCHELL, PLANE, VERNON, FARRANCE, CHAPMAN, MEDHURST, LOMAX, WYATT, IDEN
Devon - TOPE, BICKFORD, FOSTER
YKS - QUIRK, McGUIRE, BENN
Nott/Derbs - SLACK
Herts - BARNES
L'pool- PLUMBE
 All UK census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk