Author Topic: Kennedy  (Read 2926 times)

Offline Heather Cardwell

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Kennedy
« on: Monday 20 January 14 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find out information about my great-grandfather, Robert Kennedy, who left Northern Ireland for Canada around 1906. It is believed that he died in Canada not long after he went out there.  He was definitely in Ontario in 1907. How can I fond out about his death and where he was buried? Thank you, Heather Cardwell

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Kennedy
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 January 14 16:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather,

Welcome to Rootschat

What year was your Robert born ? What were the parents names ?  Might help with the search.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Heather Cardwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 January 14 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Sandra,

Robert Kennedy was born in Rasharkin area of Northern Ireland on 18th February 1879. ( I think he died around 1911) He was marrried to Mary Jane Kells/Kennedy although she did not travel to Canada with him. Robert's mother was Mary Stirling and his father was John Kennedy.

Thanks for helping.

Heather

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 January 14 18:42 GMT (UK) »
I checked the 1911 census at Automated Genealogy and there is a possible for your Robert Kennedy.

http://automatedgenealogy.com

1911/Ontario/York Centre/38 Mimico

Robert Kennedy, head, b. 1877, age 34, Ireland, imm 1906, laborer
George Kennedy, brother, b. 1883, age 28, Ireland, imm 1906, laborer

They are both listed as single but not all the information on the census is always correct. It depends on who gives the information. Ages are often out by a few years. Do you know if your Robert had a brother George.

If he died in the early 1900's without family in Ontario or Canada, it will be very hard to find a death registration for him. Also, each province handles registration of BMD's and the rules vary from province to province. I would search for the passnger list to see who he traveled with and where his destination was. His occupation may also be helpful in finding where he went. Did he abandon his family in Ireland. Most men sent for their families within a year of traveling to Canada. The men came first, found employment and housing, saved money for the passage for their families. That was the norm at that time. If he came in 1906 and his wife didn't follow, he may have considered himself single as is on the census.

At least you have one Robert Kennedy to confirm or rule out.

Offline Heather Cardwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 23:29 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, Valerie C, for your help. I do not think that Robert had a brother. He had a sister, Margaret, but she did not travel with him as far as I know. Robert definitely did not bring his family out to Canada. After his death my great grandmnother remarried in Norther ireland. I do not know if Robert intended to bring the family out (he had three young children) or if he intended to leave them! He was, indeed, a labourer but then that's what a lot of Irish men were in those days.  As a newcomer to rootschat I am very interested in the websites you are giving me. I did not know about the automated genealogy. Thank you again and I'll keep searching!

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 03:13 GMT (UK) »
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/

I went to the archives to check the 1901/1911 census for Ireland.

1901/Antrim/Larne/St John's Place East/House 15
In 1901 it appears that Mary Kennedy, age 44, widow is living with her mother Nancy Stirling, 75 as well as her daughter Maggie, age 22 and son Robert age 19.
Maggie and Robert are both single and listed as working in factory and general labourer.
It doesn't give any other information.

1911/Antrim/Larne/Newington Ave
Mary Jane Kennedy, age 28
Maggie and Mary, age 7
Annie, age 5
as well as Edward Kell, Robert Kell and Samuel Kell
It states that Mary Jane has been married 8 years so approximately 1903 and 3 children born and 3 children living.

1911/Antrim/Larne/Pound St/House #79
Mary Kennedy, widow, had been married 30 years
doesn't state number of children born and living. I was hoping that info would be on the 1911 census in hopes of a possible George.

I did find a Robert and George in another household in Antrim, ages were out but could be a possibility for the ones I found in 1911 in York, Ontario.

I went to Family Search to look for a death in Ontario but didn't find anything.

You can search for passenger lists at both ancestry and ancestors on board. With such a common name it will take a lot of searching. I'm not sure if you will get anything from the passenger lists that could help in your search but sometimes a destination or friend is listed so that could help in your search.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 03:34 GMT (UK) »
Just in case you don't have this information

1901/Antrim/Larne/Old Glenarm Rd #55

Edward Kells, age 46, widower, coal filler
Alexander, age 20, clothes passer
Mary 18, housekeeper
Edward, 16, Asst clerk
Robert, 14, damask weaver
Samuel, scholar

1911/Antrim/Larne/Newington Ave #35
Edward Kells, age 56, father in law
in the household of William Sloan

I know this isn't the info you asked for but the more information that is found sometimes leads to the result and answers that you want.

Most immigrants traveled with at least one other person when coming to Canada looking for work. Sometimes they came under the employment programs that were available at the time.

Hopefully, you will find the passenger list and that will give some answers.
Val

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 04:01 GMT (UK) »
He was definitely in Ontario in 1907.

Hi Heather:

Wondering how you know he was in Ontario in 1907? Was there a mailing address for him? Or any information on where he was in Ontario? The more details you can give will help in trying to find him.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Heather

Found a Robert Kennedy on the following website coming to Canada 1906
Nanaimo Family History Society-Ships Lists Indexing Project
members.shaw.ca/Nanaimo.fhs

Further searched LAC Passenger Lists 1865-1922 www.collectionscanada.gc.ca/databases/passenger/index-e.html
Came on ship Athenia  9 May 1906

Robt Kennedy 28 years born Tyrone Ireland farmer going to Toronto. You can view this record on page 10 of the passenger list.

This looks like your ancestor.

I have not found him on 1906 census  can not remember when it was taken nor have I found him on 1911 census.

Do you know or sure when he died? If he died in 1911 it may have been before the census was taken.

Will keep looking.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland