Author Topic: Kennedy  (Read 2924 times)

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Kennedy
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 13:37 GMT (UK) »
I just checked the passenger list for the Athenia.
Page 9 has George Kennedy, age 25 with same ticket number as Robert Kennedy on page 10. They are on the program British Bonus allowed both going to Toronto.
These are the same Kennedy's that I found on the 1911 census in Toronto. What stood out is they are from Tyrone not Antrim where the Robert Kennedy we are looking for is from.

Good find but not the right Robert Kennedy. At least we can now rule out the Robert Kennedy that was found in York/Mimico in 1911.

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 13:57 GMT (UK) »
www.findmypast.co.uk
ancestors on board
has 6 possible Robert Kennedy sailing 1906 to Canada

go to the above site then to Travel and Migration, Britian: Outbound Passenger Lists 1890-1960

It is a pay site but may find you the correct passenger list.

You can also go to Ancestry to search for Passenger Lists. If you do not have access, your local library may subscirbe to Ancestry.

Also, keep in mind that the 1901 census had him as 19 in so that would put his birth year as late as 1882. Are you sure he was born Feb 1879. Look at all ages when searching as he may have used different years of birth on various records. What should stand out in searching is Antrim/Larne as he doesn't seem to have a connection to any other county.

I went back to Family Search but still didn't find a death in Ontario.

As other have stated, any information that you can provide will be helpful, especially the fact that you know for sure he was in Ontario in 1907.

Offline Heather Cardwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 19:11 GMT (UK) »
Continued thanks for all the help on Robert. I am certain that he was born 18th February 1879 and he married in 1903 in Larne. However, just checked my notes...ooops...my mistake.....I have a postcard that he sent to his wife in May 1907. It was postmarked Toronto. Sorry for confusing the Canadian places!

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 19:27 GMT (UK) »
No need to be sorry Heather - Toronto is a city in the province of Ontario. If he was living there rather than just passing through it may help in the search for him.

sami
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline valeriec

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 20:36 GMT (UK) »
So, we know that in May 1907, he was in Toronto, Ontario. Is there anything in the postcard that could give us a hint as to where he was living, his occupation, friends. Any little thing may help to find him. I guess the next step is to try to find him in cemeteries in Toronto. I know there is a site called Pages of the Past but I'm not too familiar with it. I guess the time frame we are looking at is 1907 - 1911.

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 21:37 GMT (UK) »

Found two cemetery listings for a Robert Kennedy on the Ontario Cemetery Finding Aid site.If he stayed in Toronto perhaps one of these might be him.

Robert Kennedy Knox Agincourt York Scarborough

Robert Kennedy Toronto Necropolis York Toronto
I would tend to lean toward this one.

Family History site(LDS) has  the Necropolis site on their records ...checked through 1910 and 1911

but did not see him.I will check with the cemetery tomorrow as they will be open on the 23.

Were there any more post cards or contact with him after 1907? Did he have a middle name and what was his occupation.

I believe there was a large Irish community in the Cabbagetown area of Toronto most likely around the time Robert came to Toronto.Will keep digging.

Lilybell 

Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland

Offline Heather Cardwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 22:44 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all the information. It would be great of you could look in the graveyard for me. There is nothing else in the postcard that would help - it was sent on 13th May 1907 from Toronto to his wife in Larne and just wishes everybody well and sends love. The only other thing I know is that he worked in a gas works in Toronto. 'Legend' has it that he was shot dead in a saloon after a brawl! (Don't know whether this is true!) Although living in Larne before going to Canada, he was born in Drumcon townland in Killoquin, Rasharkin, Co. Antrim.

Offline Heather Cardwell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 22:47 GMT (UK) »
I should also have added that Robert was a Presbyterian.

Offline lilybell

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 24 January 14 00:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello Heather

A update on Robert Kennedy buried at Necropolis Cemetery. I had a call back from the Cemetery and the Robert buried there is not the right one...that one died in 1894.

I found another one at Knox United Cemetery and the fellow there who looks after cemetery records

will get back to me...fingers crossed maybe tomorrow.Will let you know as soon as I hear back.

Lilybell
Harrod Essex and Kent England
McCrimmon Invernesshire  Scotland