Author Topic: Advice on Bristol Burials please  (Read 2262 times)

Offline JLONG

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Advice on Bristol Burials please
« on: Tuesday 21 January 14 00:34 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I am researching an Ancestor who died in Orange Street Bristol in 1900.  Orange St is in St Paul's, modern postcode BS2.

Does anyone know which cemetery people from this area were most commonly buried in at around this time? Or would it just have been a matter of personal choice?

I know there are fees for searching the Arnos Vale records, but I don't want to pay this if the likelihood is she was buried at another cemetery (Greenbank for instance) because of where she lived.

Any thoughts or advice would be gratefully received as I don't know Bristol very well.

Thank you!

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Advice on Bristol Burials please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 07:02 GMT (UK) »
Details on burial grounds and cemeteries are on the Bristol & Avon Family History Society website:
http://www.bafhs.org.uk/burial-data
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline JLONG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 08:30 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.  I'd already read it before posting and worked out which cemeteries were active in 1900 (and ruled out those for which info is searchable online).

The guide doesn't say whether the cemeteries served particular parts of the city.

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 09:24 GMT (UK) »
St Pauls is in Central Bristol, and I don't think any cemetery in particular would have been used?

Maybe an email to Bristol City Council in the first place?

(Follow the link to:
http://www.bristol.gov.uk/page/births-deaths-and-marriages/crematoria-and-cemeteries-locations-and-contact-details#jump-link-5  all use the same email address!)
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline nashua

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Violet Annie Jones
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 10:06 GMT (UK) »
I have had persons from St Pauls buried in both Greenbank and Avon View Cemeteries. It may be worth calling their record department at Canford Cremetorium, I have found them very helpful at times, if you are lucky they may give you some details without paying the fee, especially if you know the date of death.

Jones, Crinks, Buckland - Bristol
Cook, Curtis, Bishop - Wilts
Betty, Bishop - Glos
Rolfe - Berks, Bristol
Webb - Bristol

Offline JLONG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 January 14 23:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both for your comments and suggestions, those are useful tips and much appreciated. Jennie

Offline JLONG

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 12:43 GMT (UK) »
BTW ... we think that Mary Edwards may have been buried in a public or pauper's grave.  She died in March 1900 of heart failure.  The death certificate makes reference to an inquest, but I have yet to find any record of it in local papers online at the British Newspaper Archive ... I'll keep searching, as inquests were usually reported.