Author Topic: John Wicks aka "Weeks"  (Read 3889 times)

Offline hurricane1no

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Wicks aka "Weeks"
« on: Wednesday 22 January 14 17:42 GMT (UK) »
Trying to trace back to John Wicks/Weeks family in the uk. He is my great grandfather and the family history says he came to Newfoundland as a stowaway and jumped ship on Fogo Island, Newfoundland around 1833, when he was 17 years old. (Newfoundland was a british colony at the time). My mother said he was from the Christchurch area, and his mother walked 9 miles with him to the boat in order to stow away. After he jumped ship he must have been in hiding as no census records for him until 30 yrs later. Family history also states that his brother (name unknown) was captured and taken from the dinner table on Christmas day and shipped off to Van Damiens land/Australia, (for stealing one of the Queen's deer for food). Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Wicks aka "Weeks"
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 17:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome :)

Can you tell us what information there is on him after arrival in Canada? Which censuses do you have him in, and what details does each give of his name (Wicks or Weeks? any middle names?), age, occupation, religion and birthplace?

Do his Canadian vital records (e.g. marriage, death) give any details of his birthplace or parents' names?
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 18:00 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Hurricane and welcome to Rootschat
Christchurch is in Dorset
John Wicks
baptism
dorset
1810 to 1820

one result - but of course there may be others not recorded ?
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KZMZ-VK9
it is in Langton -  Matravers ,Dorset .....be back soon to see if that village is by Christchurch

added ...Christchurch to Langton - Matravers is 26 miles by road ....
so maybe make a note of the John Wicks and his parents in that link ??
did he name any children Mary or Robert ?
possibly the brother who was arrested
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/KZMZ-6LG
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline hurricane1no

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 18:14 GMT (UK) »
Ty for the warm welcome! I don't have much info other then what I posted. Guess it was because he escaped England and his brother got deported to Australia, they kept quiet. John Wicks/Weeks religon "church of england" anglican. Name Weeks was changed to Wicks here. Was a fisherman here in Newfoundland. He married Annie Combdon Brett of Fogo Island newfoundland. No marriage certificate ever found for him but records were poorly kept back in them times. No idea of the parents names either. sorry. He was about 17 yrs old when he came to the island in 1833. He died in jackson's Arm, Newfoundland in 1901 age 84 yrs.

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 18:18 GMT (UK) »
You mentioned the magic word "census" in your first post :)

Have you any more on that? If we can locate him in even one census that will give us something to go on so as to help you as best we can.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline hurricane1no

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 18:27 GMT (UK) »
All I know he said he was from Christchurch, but my mom said his mother walked with him 9 miles when he went to stowaway. So maybe he was from a village outside of Christchurch?? Could there have been a path that only took 9 miles from Matravers or maybe the mother didn't continue the full journey with him. Ty for both your welcome and replies. Yes garstonite, he had a daughter Mary, but no mention of a Robert in the family. His children, were John Wicks Jr, Charles, William thomas, Thomas william, Sarah, Julia ann, and Dulcie. The name Sarah, Charles and Julia Ann was passed down through the first generations.   I am new to this so hope I Am doing this correctly. Thanks so very much.

Offline hurricane1no

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 18:28 GMT (UK) »
I will get back to you as soon as I find the census he was mentioned in. tyvm and have a great day.

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 January 14 20:58 GMT (UK) »
Hiya Hurricane and welcome to Rootschat
Christchurch is in Dorset
John Wicks
baptism
dorset
1810 to 1820

In 1800s Christchurch was in Hampshire; moved into Dorset in 1974 so you would need to check Hampshire records.

Nanny Jan

Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 January 14 07:28 GMT (UK) »
thanks Nannyjan ...I will have a look in Hampshire...
3 results
 1 is in 1841 census
1 is in 1861 census
the other is this - but it is 33 miles from Christchurch ??....so seems too far - but maybe you want to make a note of it

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/N122-FZZ
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford