Author Topic: Looking for death of Lawrence Byrne  (Read 9787 times)

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for death of Lawrence Byrne
« on: Thursday 23 January 14 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi All,

I am not sure how to go about finding the death of Lawrence Byrne, due in particular to his very common name. He married Sarah Needham in 1837 in St Mary's parish Dublin, both were literate, I later found that Lawrence was a bank clerk as the info was recorded on the death record of Sarah his wife and on the marriage record of one of his sons.

The last 'sighting' I have of Lawrence is the record in 1851 of the birth of his son Thomas, who was baptised in St Andrews parish Dublin. I am completely unfamiliar with Ireland so cannot visualise where St Andrews might be in Dublin.

My next sighting of the family is in 1871 in Glasgow, where Sarah, his wife is recorded as a widow and has three of her adult children with her. Lawrence therefore died at some point between 1851 and 1871 but I cannot find any record which would indicate that it was in Scotland. My assumption is that it was probably in Ireland but what would then have taken Sarah and family to Scotland, I have no idea. My only real identifying clue to Lawrence is that he was a bank clerk in Dublin but I don't know whether this is useful in tracing him via records or not.

I have seen that there are a number of deaths of people by his name in the possible time period in Dublin but I don't know how to narrow it down. Any advice from the Irish experts among you would be a welcome relief. I'm stuck and I don't know who his parents were or much else about him.

Many thanks,
Eliza.
BLANCH London, Kent, Cumberland, Sunderland WALTON Cumberland, WILSON Cumberland, New Zealand, GRAHAM Cumbria/USA,  DUNN Woolwich Kent, BLAKE Northumberland HENDERSON Renfrewshire PATERSON Argyllshire HALLAM Surrey BYRNE Dublin, BURNS Glasgow, DENSTON/BARBER Staff., WADMAN Somerset, DALE Middlesex, AIMERS Selkirkshire, BORTHWICK Berwickshire

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for death of Lawrence Byrne
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 January 14 10:27 GMT (UK) »
The 1850 Dublin Street Directory shows a Laurence Byrne at 28 Anglesea St. I tried that address on Irish Genealogy and it comes up under St Andrews Parish but not for the Byrne family.
Glasnevin Trust shows several Law/Laurence Byrnes in the time period but it would cost a small fortune to find out their address or occupation informant etc.
Perhaps his wife was Scottish and returned there after his death or have you a census record suggesting otherwise.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 January 14 10:35 GMT (UK) »
You say 3 adult children in 1871 all born Ireland ? where does Thomas fit in eldest,youngest,middle approx dates of birth to try and get a timeframe.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 January 14 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure you are on the right track Lawrence and Sarah married in Church of Ireland and Thomas baptised in Catholic church.

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 January 14 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Are you sure you are on the right track Lawrence and Sarah married in Church of Ireland and Thomas baptised in Catholic church.

Mixed marriages often took place in C of I churches.

If Lawrence was Catholic, there's a fair chance that the sons would be brought up as Catholics.

My great-grandmother (RC) was married in a C of I church to a Presbyterian ... all her sons were Presbyterian and her daughters RC.

regards eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline jnoone

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 January 14 12:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi
There are just two death records for a Laurence Byrne on familysearch for the time period 1851 to 1871
Deaths Dublin South 1865 Vol.17 Page 530
Deaths Dublin South 1866 Vol.7   Page 629

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 January 14 13:16 GMT (UK) »
There are just two death records for a Laurence Byrne on familysearch for the time period 1851 to 1871
Deaths Dublin South 1865 Vol.17 Page 530
Deaths Dublin South 1866 Vol.7   Page 629

though he could have died any time from 1851 to 1863, as deaths weren't registered till 1864.

eadaoin
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 23 January 14 19:06 GMT (UK) »
Morning all,

Thankyou very much for all the replies. In answer to the questions raised:-

I found Sarah on the 1871 census for Govan, Glasgow and that recorded that she was born in Ireland, not Scotland and that she was a widow. Her year of birth was 1815 (census) and I did find a transcript of a baptism (COI) in 1814 in Co. Wicklow which might be hers, possibly.

The children listed on the census with her were Susan (1840), James (1849) a cooper and Thomas (1851) a sailmaker, all born Ireland.

I had previously hunted for children to the marriage of Sarah and Lawrence and had found the following in total (although there may be more):-  Margaret Byrne (1840), Susan Byrne (1841), William Byrne (1843) James Byrne (1849) and Thomas (1851). The dates for the three who show in the Glasgow census are almost a match.

I have a lot of info on Thomas (who was the initial subject of my research some months ago) from the time of his showing on the census and I have all the vital info for Sarah, his mother, from the same period. I have only done a cursory hunt for the siblings to date and that was really to try and trace any clue to the origins of their father Lawrence.

I saw the deaths mentioned, but as you say eadaoin, the time frame could be anywhere from 1851-1871 as I have no idea when Sarah and family emigrated to Scotland during that period.

With regard to the occupation of Lawrence - would there have been a lot of banks in the area in which they lived (St Andrews)? Would there be any bank records anywhere? Were records of emigrations between Ireland and Scotland kept at all? Are there any Dublin maps which would show the parishes?

Can one buy copies of Irish death records for the period and would they give 'identifying' info, eg) name of spouse etc which would make that useful?

Sorry about all the questions, they are a reflection of my ignorance of the area and how to research it.

Many thanks for everyone's input,

Regards Eliza
BLANCH London, Kent, Cumberland, Sunderland WALTON Cumberland, WILSON Cumberland, New Zealand, GRAHAM Cumbria/USA,  DUNN Woolwich Kent, BLAKE Northumberland HENDERSON Renfrewshire PATERSON Argyllshire HALLAM Surrey BYRNE Dublin, BURNS Glasgow, DENSTON/BARBER Staff., WADMAN Somerset, DALE Middlesex, AIMERS Selkirkshire, BORTHWICK Berwickshire

Offline Elizajb

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 23 January 14 19:12 GMT (UK) »
P.S. I forgot to mention that in the 1871 census, the family are recorded as 'Burns', not Byrne.

I later noticed that the surnames were recorded in various documents as one or the other, and occasionally, both.

Eliza