Author Topic: Why did the Hatter's die so young?  (Read 15955 times)

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Why did the Hatter's die so young?
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 30 January 14 17:53 GMT (UK) »
I am not convinced that there are any burials taking place in Chittoe at the time of the two deaths.  Think it would be Bromham burials that have to be checked.

http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/community/getchurch.php?id=775

Added: Re-read and they may have just been at Chittoe. OH and I will have a wander and see if we can find any graves

Offline dragonlady403

• RootsChat Senior
  • Reaching through the Mists of Time
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 30 January 14 18:17 GMT (UK) »
You may well be correct.  It looks like Bromham would be the likely repository of the family docs.  I am having a devil of a time tracking this one branch. 

Essentially:
Charles Hatter was born in 1847 in Bromham.  Died in NZ in 1925  He had two (possibly three) siblings that I have records for... Henry born 1852 (d in England 1906) and Mary b 1857 (d?). 

Their parents were Edmond (Edmund) Hatter B 1828 in Bromham (d 1857) Devizes Married Elizabeth Granger (Grainger) B 1823 Bromham (D 1859) Bromham.

I am trying to find out more about their births/deaths and want to locate their parents - I originally thought his parents were Jane and John Hatter, but I don't think that is accurate because there are no census records of Edmond living with them and the age doesn't seem correct relative to their other children.  So back to the drawing board on that one.

I will be in the Wilts area myself in about three weeks.   I am more than willing to do the legwork if you could point me to the various alternatives for searching of physical rather than online records?  Tx for your help I really appreciate it - I find the whole process pretty overwhelming! Carol
p.s on the upside... it has been educational and entertaining as all get out learning about the exploits and vagaries of my ancestors so far!  They sure are a colourful (note the UK spelling there!) lot
Johnston - New Zealand; Scotland
Brookes - New Zealand; England
Morris- Liverpool Lancs, UK; New Zealand
Hatter - Wiltshire UK; Otago New Zealand
Ainslie & Strachan - Midlothian, Scotland; New Zealand
Paull -St Agnes, St Columb Minor Parish Cornwall; South Africa; New Zealand
Gould & Reece- Stroud, Gloucestershire UK; New Zealand
Oakly - Australia, NZ; UK
Downes -UK; Australia; NZ
Kinghorn - Jamaica; England; Scotland
Murphy - County Kerry, Ireland; NZ

Offline Trancesgirl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Be Truthful, Factual and Openminded
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 30 January 14 18:21 GMT (UK) »
The registers for Chittoe start from 1846 which suggests it was a chapel of ease for Bromham - WSHC do not have a burial register listed so maybe there are no burials at all at Chittoe

Offline youngtug

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 30 January 14 18:29 GMT (UK) »
If you are visiting Wiltshire then you could visit the Wiltshire & Swindon history centre, in Chippenham.   http://wshc.eu/
.http://www.rootschat.com/links/05q2/   
  WILSON;-Wiltshire.
 SOUL;-Gloucestershire.
 SANSUM;-Berkshire-Wiltshire
 BASSON-BASTON;- Berkshire,- Oxfordshire.
 BRIDGES;- Wiltshire.
 DOWDESWELL;-Wiltshire,Gloucestershire
 JORDAN;- Berkshire.
 COX;- Berkshire.
 GOUDY;- Suffolk.
 CHATFIELD;-Sussex-- London
 MORGAN;-Blaenavon-Abersychan
 FISHER;- Berkshire.
 BLOMFIELD-BLOOMFIELD-BLUMFIELD;-Suffolk.
DOVE. Essex-London
YOUNG-Berkshire
ARDEN.
PINEGAR-COLLIER-HUGHES-JEFFERIES-HUNT-MOSS-FRY

Offline dragonlady403

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 30 January 14 19:58 GMT (UK) »
Ok I have contacted the Wiltshire/Swindon history centre to see what they can assist with.  Thanks for that link!

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 30 January 14 20:03 GMT (UK) »
It might be worth an approach via email to heritageadmin@wiltshire.gov.uk to ascertain if they know whether there is or has been a graveyard at Chittoe and, if so, whether a Burial Register or Burial Services Register remains with the incumbent.

Many years ago UK Local Government Archives were required to ascertain the whereabouts of all such records, to ensure their safe-keeping and preservation in regulated storage conditions.   
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dragonlady403

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Thursday 30 January 14 20:12 GMT (UK) »
OK Dee-Jay, thanks for that, I just sent them an email to see what they have to say. 

Offline dee-jay

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Friday 31 January 14 02:40 GMT (UK) »
Further 'sleuthing' has found two articles submitted by correspondents on page 3 of the Devizes and Wiltshire Gazette - Thursday 23 October 1845 - under the column heading 'THE CHURCH OF ST. MARY AT CHITTOE', reporting its consecration and ending 'Immediately after the service was concluded, the ceremony of consecration of the burial ground was performed: and never were we more struck on any similar occasion with the solemnity of the service.'

Edited:
The population for the Hamlet of Chittoe was then reportedly only 250 inhabitants. 
From the Wiltshire Community History - Church Search Results - 'A dwindling population and congregation caused the church to close and it was converted into a private house in the 1980s. There is still access to the graveyard.' 
See http://history.wiltshire.gov.uk/community/getchurch.php?id=775

AND:  In WSRO Archive Catalogue Chippenham

Reference No.: 2379/51A
Title: Transcript of the Chittoe burial register with details added of grave location and monumental description, with a small map showing the location of known graves.
Date:  1846-1998
SOM/Chard/Combe St Nicholas/Ilminster:  Dean[e]/Doble/Jeffery/Burt;  DEV/Yarcombe:  Dean/Gill/Every; 
BRK/Newbury:  Westall/Green/Lewis/Canning;  WIL/Allcannings:  Hiscock/Amor;  Froxfield:  Hobbs/Green;  HAM/Kingsclere:  Martin/Hiscock/Westall;  WAR/Marton/Bubbenhall:  Glenn/Holmes;  STS/Yoxall/Hamstall Ridware/Barton-u-Needwood:  Holmes/Dainty;  STS/Brewood/Codsall/Penkridge/Hatherton:  Dean[e]; GLA/Aberdare:  Dean/Dane

Census information: Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Friday 31 January 14 13:14 GMT (UK) »
That sleuthing kept you up late last night dee-jay!

But brilliant finds & I am sure very helpful.

Josey
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON