Author Topic: KENNEDY, Thomas  (Read 7227 times)

Offline Thommo1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: KENNEDY, Thomas
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 25 January 14 19:09 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your replies. I had come cross the Gordon's book which spoke of Tom and his pipe only this last week! As I said, I grew up with so many stories of Wardhouse. Tom's daughter Margaret (my Dad's grandmother) migrated here in 1911. She always said her bad legs were the result of climbing the stairs endlessly at Wardhouse! She and her sisters were maids in 'the big house' as she used to refer to Wardhouse. Margaret's simple cottage in Australia was named 'Wardhouse'. I will continue to follow up on the leads you have given me. I wonder whether I will be able to unearth a photo of Tom. It is hard being on the other side of the planet but you never know!
Thanks again
Andy Thomson

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 25 January 14 19:57 GMT (UK) »
You are in Australia  :)

Joy suggested www.aberdeencity.gov.uk/education_learning/local_history/archives/loc_searchablecollections.asp - a good place to start in respect of collections etc. flst may be able to advise further in this respect.

Alphonso shook hands with the head gardener and the gamekeeper, Tom Kennedy, whose son was to become a cabinet minister in Ramsay MacDonald’s government.
www.scalan.co.uk/Spanish_Gordons.htm

Is this another son who left for Australia?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline kevintorph

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 18 February 17 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
The Keepers Cottage at Wardhouse is where Tom Kennedy and family stayed at Wardhouse.My wifes great grandmother was one of Toms daughters Justina.One of his sons also Tom was a labour MP and chief whip in Ramsay MacDonalds second government.
We recently went to Wardhouse and although the big house is a ruin the Keepers Cottage has been done up and is habited.We have found out a few things about the family so please get in touch if you would like any more detaila.
Which sibling are you descended down from?
Best Regards,
Kevin.