Author Topic: Skews, James Edward  (Read 18070 times)

Offline KSKS

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Skews, James Edward
« Reply #81 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 00:08 GMT (UK) »
 Keith's book also has a short bio on most members of the wider Skews Family. There are sections looking at the migrations to Canada, USA, Australia, New Zealand, Mexico and other destinations.

Offline KSKS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 00:23 GMT (UK) »
At the Battle of Vittoria 21 June 1813 Wellington had 57,000 troops as well as Spanish and Potuguese troops. William was in the 3rd British Army Infantry Division Commanded by Lt Gen Thomas Picton, of which William was one of three Infantry line Company Corporals. He was with the 2nd Infantry Brigade commanded by Maj Gen Charles Colville. They had already marched 20 miles to join battle with the French. They attacked in four columns across the River Zardora in order to take four objectives. Williams Division attacked the French centre where upon the French hit them with 40-50 Cannon hence the injuries. Williams division suffered heaviest casualties 1,800 killed. The French defences crumbled and 3,000 French prisoners were taken 5,000 troops killed or injured on both sides and 151 cannons captured. Napoleon escaped but this battle was the end of French rule in Spain.

Offline Barbarajk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 01:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi K
Thank you so much for the information you sent!      I was hoping to find out who William Skews' mother and father were and where they were from, as well as information about the children of William and Sarah.  Where they eventually moved to, etc.  It seems there is a lot more info on the Cornish Skews members than the ones from Kent.  When I was there I was hoping to find some Skews relation, a tombstone or?  But, I couldn't find anything.  What area of England do you live in Kirk? 

Offline KSKS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi Barbara

What we know? William's mother was Sarah but no indication of a father's name.

Possible William was baptised in his mother's name?
I've looked for possible marriages in that area there is one for a Thomas Feast but the dates
Seem unlikely and they were from Cambridge. So nothing further on the Father.

I will focus on the movement of the Skews family from Cornwall to Kent later today!

My family Chart 041 Originate  in Cornwall St Wenn and Redruth and moved to Barnsley South Yorkshire and Durham around 1860.

Regards hope your day is a good one

K

Offline KSKS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 18:02 GMT (UK) »
William Skews (1789-1863) married twice. First wife was Elizabeth (SNU) two sons Thomas b1821 NFDK George b1823 married Charlotte (Dane) in 1843 b 1821 d 1902 in Chelsea (82)

They had two sons Richard Nathaniel Edwin b 1844 d 1932. George Alfred b 1846 d 1918
Both moved to Bethnal Green their successors moved into the following areas:
Poplar, Hammersmith, Shrewsbury, Edmonton and Swansea.

I am adding these to the tree over 140.

Offline KSKS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Referring to the book mentioned earlier specifically Chart 017
Are Skews family members in Gravesend, Ayleford and Bethnal Green.

Additionally their successors branched into, Devonport, Edmonton, Enfield, Kettering
Shoreditch, Northampton, Peterborough, West Ham, Hull, Shrewsbury, Macclesfield and Swansea
From the period 1840-1980 and beyond.

Regards

Offline Barbarajk

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Wednesday 25 November 15 23:31 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for the information!  It was incredible to read the information you found regarding the battle of Vittoria.  I will write these in my journal of the Skews family.  We recently moved and unfortunately I have placed all the notes I had collected in a box for safe keeping.  It is tucked away and I can't access it until all our home renovations are complete. 

You mentioned that William Skews did not participate in the Battle of Waterloo, only Vittoria but I am a bit confused because in reading an article written by the Gravesham Borough Council, called Discover Gravesham, The Hill. A Historical Walk Through Gravesend and Northfleet.  They talk about William Skews being in the Battle of Waterloo and that he lost an arm.  He then became the town confectioner ...  I could email you the article if you would like?   Or maybe there were two William Skews?

Offline KSKS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Thursday 26 November 15 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Hope all is well and that the move goes OK? The Vittoria Waterloo thing is easily explained
Generally most likely explanation is that not many people know much about the Peninsular War
But most have heard about Napoleon and Waterloo? The action is such that William had left service the year before Waterloo on 05 Apr 1814 when he became a Greenwich Pensioner. The Military General Service Medal (MGSM) loosly regarded as a Waterloo medal representing many of the military engagements between 1793-1814 wasn't issued until 1847 by Queen Victoria. There had nothing hitherto awarded to veterans of the Napoleonic War. 'Better late than never'. His military record States his wounding was from Vittoria which was almost two years prior to Waterloo, but again Waterloo is referring to the period rather than place? No matter!

Offline KSKS

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Thursday 26 November 15 07:24 GMT (UK) »
From the records I have found both William Skews and a son by his First marriage George Skews were both confectioners. I'd be very interested to see the article you mention too.Thanks

Best Wishes

K