Author Topic: Walton families - Alston & Allendale  (Read 3859 times)

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Walton families - Alston & Allendale
« on: Saturday 25 January 14 13:15 GMT (UK) »
This is a wild shot but has anyone researched the Walton families of Alston/Allendale.  I have two currently separate lines of Walton from my maternal grandparents each of who carried Walton as their middle name. Was a bit of family mystery to my generation that one !  The lines may tie up in dim & distant past as its only a bit of a hill between them as far as I have managed to trace so far.

From my grandfather's line I am up to a John Walton who married a Mary Millican in 1777 at Alston.  But I'm a bit stuck as there appear to be about 5 or 6 John Walton born in 1750s in Alston/Garrigill, no way to tell which is correct one  ???  EDIT - actually scratch that, I've just done another search and its 13 John Walton born in Alston between 1749 and 1760 only one have I found an early death for  ::)

From my grandmother's line I have reached a Richard Walton a yeoman of Catton Lea (just south of Catton nr Allendale) who married an Elizabeth and had 8 children there (first in 1752).  I haven't been able to find Richard & Elizabeth's wedding or an origin for Richard.

Any other Walton researchers, would be good to compare notes !

Pete
Norris / Andover, Poplar, Canning Town, Stratford
Hughes, Cooper, New  / Berkshire
Waugh, Lisle, Davison, Mole, Luke, Dodd / Northumberland
Walton / Cumberland, County Durham, Northumberland
Littlefair / County Durham, Northumberland
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Ross / Middlesex, Hertfordshire
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline pwitz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Walton families - Alston & Allendale
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 11:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi Pete
My husband's great-grandmother was a Walton and his grandfather and three siblings all had Walton as their middle name - including the girl.  Haven't gone back as far as you, but willing to exchange any info.
Regards Polly

Offline clearly

• RootsChat Senior
  • If we understand the past we understand the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 13:30 GMT (UK) »
I don't know if this will help but the Walton family of Alston Moor held important posts for the London Lead Company, generation after generation. Any book on the history of mining around Alston will mention them in profusion.
Forster Cul, Harrison Cul, Wood Cul Yks, Castley Cul & Wes, Lorimer Cul and Perth,Innis Cul, Casson, Cul, Johnston,Cul & Nfk, Carruthers Cul, Ewart Cul, Jardine Cul & Dmf, Story Cul, ONeill Cul & NI, Davis Cul & Ldn,

Offline hatofthecat

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Thanks pwitz will get back to you on the PM reply you sent me and see if I can see any link.

also clearly, I've seen that particular Walton dynasty but so far not found any definite link to any of my Waltons  :-\    I will try that tack again though .

Pete
Norris / Andover, Poplar, Canning Town, Stratford
Hughes, Cooper, New  / Berkshire
Waugh, Lisle, Davison, Mole, Luke, Dodd / Northumberland
Walton / Cumberland, County Durham, Northumberland
Littlefair / County Durham, Northumberland
Morcumb, Pedler, Warne, Whitford, Arthur, Warmington, Sleap, Docton,Couche / Cornwall
Ross / Middlesex, Hertfordshire
Southgate / Essex
Tarrant/Hampshire

Offline John allison

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 16 January 23 20:21 GMT (UK) »
My 4th great grandfather was Thomas Walton born 1778 who is buried in St. John’s chapel gargill

Offline AlisonM58

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 29 September 23 16:18 BST (UK) »
Hi Pete,

I've just joined Roots and read your comment about John Walton.
I'm in a similar position to you but from the female angle. My 4X great grandmother was Hannah Walton born C 1752 and her father is listed as John Walton but the actual transcript from the church for her marriage says her surname was Ritson. This strongly suggests that she was illegitimate.

From just from a quick look on the web it seems that the Walton family was was part of the local gentry and John and Thomas Walton seem to have sired a number of Hannah Walton's in that era.

If that's the case we may be distant cousins!

Alison

Offline Kinsy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 11 November 23 01:59 GMT (UK) »
the actual transcript from the church for her marriage says her surname was Ritson. This strongly suggests that she was illegitimate.
Is it possible that your 4x g/gm Hannah's surname was Ritson from a previous marriage ?

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 November 23 09:06 GMT (UK) »
my Walton's are from a similar area but are more "salt of the earth" ag labs then worked in the shipyards when they appear to migrate over to Sunderland for work.

The name appears to change to Welton the further back I go.

My 7 x great grandfather, William Welton 1709 was born Haydon Bridge son of Michael. Also have Walton / Welton in Haltwhistle and Alston when James Welton married Mary Knott in 1824 then had 2 daughters baptised there.

Have you done a DNA test? I have quite a large number of DNA matches for Walton/Welton, it's quite a well verified line but then it's also quite a popular name in the North East!
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 11 November 23 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully Pete (hatofthecat) has resolved the problem by now but for those still looking it may be worth checking for pre 1858 wills/admons here to see if they give any clues

http://familyrecords.dur.ac.uk/nei/data/simple.php

results lead to the documents on Family Search

I had a quick look and there seems to be a fair few Waltons listed in the Alston area so its worth a try

Boo