Author Topic: Birth record Banbury, Oxfordshire  (Read 10237 times)

Offline annevicary

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Birth record Banbury, Oxfordshire
« Reply #9 on: Monday 27 January 14 22:51 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for all this info.  I have been searching those records and I have sent away for Lucy Mary Garthwaite's birth certificate to see if it sheds anymore light on the subject.  If she is the same person it's very strange then that she put Samuel Beadmeade - chair turner as her father on her marriage banns. Obviously she is related to Elizabeth Bidmead but how I am still not sure, could be a niece or her daughter, I just don't know.
Vicary, Whitlock, Bidmead, Ford, Cockram/n, Bragg, Murray, McIntyre, Martin, Moore, Veitch, Summerville, Paterson,

Offline annevicary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 27 January 14 23:23 GMT (UK) »
Galium you had a question mark after "chair turner".  This is what I found as a discription of the profession. A chair turner turned the legs & spindles used in chair making often turned of rough "bodgers" - lathes - as a cottage industry - common in Buckinghamshire.
Vicary, Whitlock, Bidmead, Ford, Cockram/n, Bragg, Murray, McIntyre, Martin, Moore, Veitch, Summerville, Paterson,

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Thanks.  The writing in the marriage register wasn't clear, which is why I wasn't sure if I had transcribed correctly.
 I suspect, as Debbie pointed out, that Samuel Bidmead was a fiction.  This wasn't unusual for someone who didn't know the true answer when it came to filling in the father's details in the marriage register.  Catherine's Bidmead's daughter by Henry Garthwaite would never have known her father, and quite possibly did not know his name or what he did for a living.  It might well have been something that wasn't talked about.
 In 1851, Lucy Bidmead, widow of David was living in Chipping Wycombe in a neighbourhood which the census page suggests was populated by people involved in chair making in various ways - although the Bidmeads themselves do not seem to have been.  Perhaps there is some connection with this and Lucy Mary Ann's choice of occupation for her father.

I've been trying to find Catherine and Lucy Mary Ann in 1871, but no luck so far.
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annevicary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 22:38 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Galium.
The info certainly seems to follow through and I will at this point put Catherine as Lucy Mary Ann's mother. :)

Offline annevicary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 January 14 01:01 GMT (UK) »
Further to Lucy Mary Ann Bidmead - after marrying Charles Marriott in 1876 and living with him in London while he did bricklaying she decided in the mid to late 1880's to move to the country with her kids and caretake large houses, first Buckhurst Manor in Wadhurst, Sussex and in the late 1890's Chichister House Surbiton, Surrey.  In the meantime Charles Marriott seems to spend most of his time in London bricklaying.  By 1911 Lucy has moved to Abbott's Hall Farm Stanford Le Hope, Essex with her son Algernon and daughter Hilda.  On the 1911 cencus it says that Algernon is the godson of the owner assisting as farm bailiff.

If there anyway to find out who owned Abbotts Hall Farm in 1911 and before that?

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 January 14 21:17 GMT (UK) »
I'm not sure, but I think it may have belonged to the Blyth family - who seem to have been important in  Stanford-le-Hope around that time.  The Blyths lived at Hassingbrook/Hassenbrook Hall, and it looks as if Abbots Hall Farm belonged to the estate.

This page from Kelly's directory for Essex 1914 shows Samuel Blyth as the current occupant of Hassenbrook Hall, and Algernon Marriott as the occupant of Abbotts Hall Farm

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0xuk/

More information here:

http://www.rootschat.com/links/0xul/

UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline annevicary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 February 14 04:40 GMT (UK) »
I have found the owners of Hassenbrook Hall.  John Blyth 1851-1887 - Founder of Blyth & Squier's Brewery, Thomas Worrin Blyth 1887-1902, John Squier 1902-1957.  Samuel Blyth may have been leasing off John Squier.  I have also discovered that my extended family married into the Squier family.

Offline annevicary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 November 14 03:47 GMT (UK) »
Further to ownership of Abbotts Hall.  When the Hassenbrook estate was broken up John Blyth bought Hassenbrook, James Farmer bought Abbotts Hall and gave copyhold to John Blyth for a while, which I presume is like leasehold,  and Cabborns to John Mayes. Cabborns was another part of the Hassenbrook estate and went on to be called the Manor House Standford Le Hope.

James Farmer is the father of Lucy Mary Ann Bidmead's last 3 children even though they were baptised under her husband's name.  James Farmer left Abbotts Hall to Lucy's son Algernon Cromwell Marriott when he died in 1912. James Farmer is therefore the godfather mentioned on the 1911 census.

Offline annevicary

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 29 December 14 05:16 GMT (UK) »
I have recently received a copy of Lucy Mary Ann Marriott nee Bidmead's will and in it she lists as beneficiaries all her living children and one of those children I had not come across before.  Her name is Madeline De Vere Johnson.  I have found the death certificate of Madeline De Vere Johnson otherwise known as Lizzy De Vere Johnson dated 22 Mar 1931 and she is listed as a spinster and domestic help 59 Clarence Rd, New Windsor.  I have also found Madeline Johnson living with Lucy's Aunt Louisa Hawes nee Bidmead as her adopted daughter in 1881 and 1891 and as Lizzie Johnson her niece in 1901 (obviously by that time she had been told who her birth mother was).  She is listed as being born about 1872 in Woodstock in 1881 and 1891 and Banbury in 1901. I have been trying to find her birth certificate but have had no luck so far.  I sent away for a certificate of a Lizzy Johnson born 1972 in Woodstock but it was the wrong person.  I would like some help with finding the birth certificate it might shed some light on why she keeps changing her name.