Author Topic: Where is the place called Troqueer?  (Read 4531 times)

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
Where is the place called Troqueer?
« on: Monday 20 June 05 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

Can you tell me where Troqueer is?

I have put the name into multimap and nothing - I put the same into OldMaps and it seems to recognise the name and take me to just south of Dumfries - but no place name is shown.

Must be getting thick in my old age!!

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline DeanNH

• RootsChat Member
  • W. Davidson 1922 Arrived Ellis Island from Belfast
    • View Profile
Re: Where is the place called Troqueer?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 June 05 21:54 BST (UK) »
Troqueer
"The name of the parish was written Troquire in the records of the kirk-session....
It comprises a space of 8 miles in length, and 5 miles in breadth; and has for its boundaries, Terregles on the north; New Abbey on the south; Lochrutton on the west; and the river Nith on the east....
The parish may be said to be divided into three distinct parts by three ranges of elevations....
The first range, which rises with a gradual acclivity from the river has long been in cultivation....
As it lies within the burgh-roods of Maxwelltown and contains a large portion of Maxwelltown....
The second elevation, which rises to a greater height than the first, and extends considerably father to the south, and is likewise under the plough, and yeilds crops of turnips and potatoes, hay and oats, wheat and barley of the best quality....
Maxwelltown, About twenty-one years ago it was errected into burgh of barony....
It stands opposite to the burgh of Dumfries, with which it is connected by two bridges. It stands on a bank or ridge circling along the edge of the river; and with its burrow-roods comprises a space of nearly a mile in length, and a half a mile in breadeth. " (Rev. William Thorburn, Minister)
New Statistical Account, Blackwood

Davidson - Belfast<br />Jackson - Belfast and Tartaraghan, Armagh<br />Henderson - Ballinamallard, Fermanagh<br />Chittick - Ballinamallard, Fermanagh<br />McCabe - Kilwinning, Ayr, Scotland, Monaghan and Antrim Ireland<br />McQuaide/McQuade - Belfast<br />Whaley - Kilwinning, Ayr, Scotland, Monaghan and Antrim Ireland

Offline Keith Bateman

• I am sorry but my emails are not working
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • .....The Cheshire Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 June 05 22:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Dean,

Many thanks for that - I have now found its exact position.

I have also with the above information found the name written on multimap-although it still doesn't reconise the place in its own search engine!

It seems now to have become a suburb of Dumfries - but it helps to get some idea of the area earlier - so thanks for the above information.

Seems a pity they went to live in Barrow and work in the shipyards - presume it was for more money!!

Cheers

Keith
Bateman - Ware, Herts, London.<br />Partington - Liverpool - Devon - Manchester<br />Foster - Liverpool - Manchester - Scotland<br />Gates - Cumberland - Liverpool - Manchester - Australia<br />Westwood - Ware, Herts<br /><br /><br />"Any information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk"

Has Bouncing Emails

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 00:06 BST (UK) »
I've got folks from Troqueer.

I went to visit graveyards and couldn't fo rthe life of me work out the area other than it being the opposite side of the river.

Pam
 ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!

Offline Boongie Pam

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Pa is Scottish, Ma is Welsh, Nose is Roamin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 00:10 BST (UK) »
Oh yeh, and it was in Kirkcudbrightshire   ;D ;D
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
~~~~~~~~~~~

Dumfrieshire: Fallen, Fallon, Carruthers, Scott, Farish, Aitchison, Green, Ryecroft, Thomson, Stewart
Midlothian: Linn/d, Aitken, Martin
North Wales: Robins(on), Hughes, Parry, Jones
Cumberland: Lowther, Young, Steward, Miller
Somerset: Palmer, Cork, Greedy, Clothier

Online intermittently!