Author Topic: PHILLIPS & STEPHENS in Maker  (Read 1905 times)

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PHILLIPS & STEPHENS in Maker
« on: Sunday 26 January 14 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am hoping someone can help or point me in the right direction.  I have had some help tracking one of my ancestors and she has been fabulous as far as she could. I think part of the problem is that not all of the burial records have been transferred let alone transcribed online.

My first is Thomas Phillips b. abt 1811 in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire and died sometime between 1881 and 1900. The last census entry I have for him is as a retired Coast Guard (Greenwich Pensioner) living in Kingsand Cornwall (Parish of Maker). He was deceased by his son's William John Phillips' second marriage in Sept 1900. I think I haven't found his census record for 1891 so I am guessing it is before then. I have also checked freereg and can't find anything there either.

My second is his father-in-law Richard Stephens. He was born abt. 1795 in Kingsand Devon (soon to be Cornwall) and I think we have worked out he might have died Q1 1881 in St Germain. The last census has him in Kingsand as  pensioner for the Coast guard. I haven't got round to buying his death certificate yet.

I am currently living in Melbourne, so no chance of a quick visit to Cornwall (as much as I would love to go back there!)

Thanks in Advance
Phillips: Gloucestershire, Kent, Isle of Wight, Co Durham
Marsh (me): Dorset, Middlesex
Marsh (husband): Lancashire
Stephens: Devon, Cornwall
Gravill: Lincolnshire, East Riding (Hull), Dundee, NZ
Leighton: Forfarshire (mainly Dundee), Crete, NZ
Ferrier: Dundee

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: PHILLIPS & STEPHENS in Maker
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 26 January 14 13:49 GMT (UK) »
 I Can't seem to find Thomas Phillips on the 1891 census or his wife also I checked deceased on line and there was a burial for a Thomas Phillips on the 25th of February 1884 at Woolwich Cemetery ( Greenwich ) maybe worth a look

Offline Isobelruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 January 14 13:57 GMT (UK) »
theres a burial for a Richard Stephens 7 Apr 1881 Liskeard aged 72 residence  Borough
Russells in Westmorland,Lancashire<br />Rileys Halifax,Rochdale<br />Graingers Hull Yorks<br />Coles Northampton<br />Transcribed the whole of Westmorland 41 census<br />and Rochdale 61 <br /><br />Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 26 January 14 21:51 GMT (UK) »
I Can't seem to find Thomas Phillips on the 1891 census or his wife also I checked deceased on line and there was a burial for a Thomas Phillips on the 25th of February 1884 at Woolwich Cemetery ( Greenwich ) maybe worth a look

Thanks for that. That is interesting. I'm guessing that is Greenwich London. He was a Greenwich pensioner so maybe that is why? Very annoying if it is. Serves me right for assuming that he would be buried locally.

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 26 January 14 21:58 GMT (UK) »
theres a burial for a Richard Stephens 7 Apr 1881 Liskeard aged 72 residence  Borough

Thank you, I will have a look at that. Is Liskeard far from Kingsand?

A quick question on parish records (as I have only just started to look at them) If I have the basic details from the index, how do I find the full details? Do I have to get someone to visit the parish to transcribe it for me? Or is there somewhere online that I can look at further details?

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 27 January 14 08:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I cannot help with your specific question, but I may be able to assist you in adding a little 'flesh to the bones' with your research. Despite the title of the records, the 'Merchant Seamans Tickets' available on Find my Past, also include details of men serving in the Royal Navy and Coastguard Service. Records exist for both Richard and Thomas.

Richard Stephens  (Ticket No.228,318) b. 9 Jan 1796, 5' 6 1/2'' tall, fresh complexion, light hair, blue eyes, first went to sea as a boy 1807, never served in the Royal Navy.

Thomas Philips (Ticket No.228,328) b. 21 Dec 1810, 5' 6 3/4'' tall, ruddy complexion, brown hair, light eyes, tattoed, first went to sea as a boy in 1824, served 14 years in the Royal Navy.

Using the ADM 175 series of records (Coastguard Establishment Books) it is possible to trace the careers of both Thomas and Richard. Doing so very briefly shows that Thomas was nominated to the CG Service from HMS Malabar on 15 Jan 1838, taking up a post at Swale Cliff, this must have been where he met his future wife, because at the time Richard Stephens was Chief Boatman at the same CG Station. 

One other piece of information is that Thomas was one of the 2600 CG's drafted into the Navy during the Crimean War, serving on HMS Euraylus, for which he was awarded the Baltic Medal.

Hope the above is of some interest.

Martin
Coastguards of Yesteryear

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 27 January 14 11:22 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I cannot help with your specific question, but I may be able to assist you in adding a little 'flesh to the bones' with your research. Despite the title of the records, the 'Merchant Seamans Tickets' available on Find my Past, also include details of men serving in the Royal Navy and Coastguard Service. Records exist for both Richard and Thomas.

Richard Stephens  (Ticket No.228,318) b. 9 Jan 1796, 5' 6 1/2'' tall, fresh complexion, light hair, blue eyes, first went to sea as a boy 1807, never served in the Royal Navy.

Thomas Philips (Ticket No.228,328) b. 21 Dec 1810, 5' 6 3/4'' tall, ruddy complexion, brown hair, light eyes, tattoed, first went to sea as a boy in 1824, served 14 years in the Royal Navy.

Using the ADM 175 series of records (Coastguard Establishment Books) it is possible to trace the careers of both Thomas and Richard. Doing so very briefly shows that Thomas was nominated to the CG Service from HMS Malabar on 15 Jan 1838, taking up a post at Swale Cliff, this must have been where he met his future wife, because at the time Richard Stephens was Chief Boatman at the same CG Station. 

One other piece of information is that Thomas was one of the 2600 CG's drafted into the Navy during the Crimean War, serving on HMS Euraylus, for which he was awarded the Baltic Medal.

Hope the above is of some interest.

Martin
Coastguards of Yesteryear

Martin you are amazing. That is just wonderful to read. My great uncle Harry is still alive and I bet he will love to read this. The Royal and Merchant Navy are very common in the Phillips line and explains I think the amount of movement around the country (they ended up in Sunderland and the NZ briefly). Where can I read through ADM 175 for myself?  I keep meaning to check my local library as they have a family history room with quite a few resources.

This forum is amazing!! Wish I had found it years ago when I was still in the uk!

Offline British Kiwi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 27 January 14 11:43 GMT (UK) »
Don't worry Martin, good old Google! Found the file.