Author Topic: Early MAYES family ( Prior 1674 ) from Baldock/Royston  (Read 2149 times)

Offline DavoBrown

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Early MAYES family ( Prior 1674 ) from Baldock/Royston
« on: Sunday 26 January 14 23:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
have a Family Tree DOODY-AUSTRALIA where my Maternal Grandmother is a Gertrude Mayes.
Have put in the Lineage from other Trees and everyone seems to agree on things back to a Lambert Mayes 1674-1750 from Royston/Layston in Hertfordshire.
Things get a bit murky from there. I have Lambert's father, William Mayes B1649 from Baldock with wife Ann Lambert, then Thomas B1628 in Braughing, then a Rychard Mayes, other details unknown.
However I have seen another version which is:
William(b.1636) & Anne Lambert
 William(b1609)& Lucy Deacon
 William(b.1577)& Annis Burcock
 Simon Maies (b.1550)
Must admit the second version seems more likely, although it was from a Post on GenForum about 10 years ago.
Don't want to cause anyone too much work, because these are all quite a long time ago when records a bit sketchy, but just wondering if anyone had joined the dots somewhere. Does appear that the early Mayes in my Tree were from Baldock, then moved to Royston, then finally after Lambert to the Layston/Buntingford area.
Any verification would be appreciated.
Regards
Mike
Vincent - Tasmania - Australia
Oliver - South Australia - Australia
Oliver - Ash next Ridley - Kent - England
Doody - Victoria - Australia
Doody - Manchester - England

Offline DavoBrown

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
*COMPLETED* - Early MAYES family ( Prior 1674 ) from Baldock/Royston
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 February 14 22:00 GMT (UK) »
Have decided that the "Baldock" Mayes ( the second option ) are more likely, since they were all born in the one village. Someone has put all their details up on the FamilySearch.org site as well.
So have amended  my Tree in Ancestry.Com accordingly.
No one else seems to be researching these people at the moment, so have flagged the Post
as *COMPLETED*
Vincent - Tasmania - Australia
Oliver - South Australia - Australia
Oliver - Ash next Ridley - Kent - England
Doody - Victoria - Australia
Doody - Manchester - England

Offline Statestudio

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Early MAYES family ( Prior 1674 ) from Baldock/Royston
« Reply #2 on: Friday 21 October 22 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I’ve been researching Mayes and came to same conclusion as you until I found out that there is no parish register for Royston before 1662.
There was William Mayes in Baldock 1636-1690. Married Mary Rumball. His children were Thomas 1663, Mary 1665, John 1674, Thomas 1676, Edward 1680, Ann 1683, William 1684.
There was another William Mayes in Royston who married Ann Lambert and died 1702. No record of his birth exists. Their children were Edward 1662, Elizabeth 1663, Bridget 1667, William 1668, Ann 1671, SAmuel 1671, Lambert 1674 (died as infant), Lambert 1675.  Hope this helps. I got all the information from the parish registers.
Margaret

Offline petersjo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Early MAYES family ( Prior 1674 ) from Baldock/Royston
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 12 July 23 01:27 BST (UK) »
I started looking for "Hewes" of Royston, Hertfordshire. James Hewes has a sister Elizabeth, married to Edward Mayes of Royston.

So, there are "Mayes" of Royston, Baldock, Therfield, etc.. I've made some progress on Family Search, and have been transcribing and posting Will and Testament of "Mayes" and others. There is an Elizabeth Mayes will & testament from 1730 in Baldock, which is about 9 pages long. She names many people and places. She was 2ndly married to William Gaylor, and 3rdly married to Edward Mayes who was married 1st to Mary Kinnet. I don't know who "Elizabeth Mayes" was married to first, but she has a sister Anne Hilton, widow, who located to Baldock from London in 1704. Noted in the Hertfordshire Archives, name search.