Author Topic: Michigan Birth Record - John Tilly EDGAR  (Read 1015 times)

Offline ART2012

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Michigan Birth Record - John Tilly EDGAR
« on: Monday 27 January 14 08:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to find a birth record for my Grandfather, John Tilly Edgar who I understand was born in Detroit, Michigan.  His birthday is 18 March 1887. 

His parents were Andrew Wood Edgar and Catherine Edgar ( Lorain ) both born in Scotland.  Andrew was a lithographer. 

I have managed to find records for other children born while they were living in America.

Adrian Edgar - born 6 June 1883 , Detroit, Wayne, Michigan
Robert Edgar - born 10 June 1885, Christening 13 May 1886 - Wayne, Michigan
William Edgar - Born 22 May 1889 - Wayne, Michigan.

By these dates it would appear that my Grandfather was born between Robert and William.  The family did not remain in America but returned to Scotland.

My Grandfather never got to see any of his children married or meet his grandchildren as he was killed by a drunk driver. 

I'm sure there must be some record somewhere of his birth and are hoping that someone will be able to advise me where I can look.

Thank-you.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Michigan Birth Record - John Tilly EDGAR
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 January 14 21:26 GMT (UK) »
Like you can see Robert and William's births but no John yet for some reason.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Priscilla

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 January 14 22:36 GMT (UK) »
I know you are looking for his birth but have you Googled "John Tilly Edgar"?  Couple of interesting pieces eg newspaper wedding announcement for he and his wife in New Zealand plus burial records for both of them, also in New Zealand.
Baptist Church, Thames, NZ has a website you may find of interest.
Eccles (Hoylake / Exeter / Plymouth)
Hicks (Devonport, Plymouth)
Grafton (Exeter, Devon)
Harris (Marazion, Cornwall)
Collard (Yeovil, Somerset)
Johns (Devonport, Plymouth)
Lyle (Bude, Cornwall)

Offline ART2012

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 01:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Sandra, thanks for checking for me.  Its all abit of a puzzle.  I'm sure if they registered their other children , he would have been registered as well. 

Thanks for this information, Priscilla.  I do put names into goggle but I don't think I had checked his name.  So I'm very pleased to have a link to there wedding notice, as I hadn't seen it.  Had checked the Thames area Paperspast but not The Herald.  There is some interesting historical information on that church site. 

Really appreciate the help I am getting on this site, its great

Thank-you

Offline paultonson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 01 February 24 03:56 GMT (UK) »
Paul here in Melbourne. I'm not sure if like me you are NZ born to Stan, Winnifred or William? I imagine you now have much information but in case it helps.
I was a younger colleague in the Baptist Church of Stanley Loraine Edgar, the son of John Tilly Edgar and Elsie Jane Wood.
The NZ Death records show:
Registration Number   Family Name   Given Name(s)   Date of Birth/    Age at Death   
1946/25174           Edgar           John Tilly           59Y                   Order Product
1947/27948           Edgar           Elsie Jane           62Y   Order Product

NZ Birth record
1885/6094   Wood   Elsie Jane   Ann   William   -   Order Product

The NZ Marriage record:
Registration Number   Bride's Name(s)   Bride's Family   Groom's Name(s   Groom's Family
1914/3374          Elsie Jane         Wood                  John Tilly             Edgar   Order Product

I have come to this today as i am writing about something Stan challenged me within the 1980s.