Author Topic: Charlotte LUNE  (Read 4527 times)

Offline grlune

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Grandad - John Gibbons (1920-2008)
    • View Profile
Charlotte LUNE
« on: Monday 20 June 05 22:13 BST (UK) »
Trying to find out more information on my great aunt Charlotte who emigrated to Canada in 1920's . She sailed from the UK on the Canadian Pacific Liner 'Empress of Scotland', arriving at Quebec in August 1926 aged 34 (source: National Archives of Canada).

She died in Toronto in 1984 aged 92 approx.  I'd like to trace her whereabouts in Toronto; is it possible that there may be some old telephone directories archived somewhere? Could someone access such records on my behalf?  Or any other directories that may list peoples abodes?

Wouldn't it just make my day if someone actually knew her!!! Wow - that would be fantastic. I would surely be one  happy man (and some may say a sad man!!!!) if this were to happen. Long shot I know but who knows, it's a 'small world' as the saying goes!

Any help whatsoever greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Regards from a very unusually hot and humid UK today.
Graham
NAMES & PLACES OF INTEREST:

EDWIN/MOISEY - Evesham (Worcs) and Birmmingam (Warks)
GIBBONS/GURNEY - Rugby (Warks),  Hackney (London)
HUGHES - Bromsgrove (Worcs)
LEACH/HEYWOOD/STANLEY/CATHRO - Toronto (Ontario, CANADA)
LUNE/LOON/LOONE - Birmingham, Fillongley and Coleshill (Warks), Nelson (Lancs)
VINCENT/HUNTER - Bloxham (Oxon), Kenilworth (Warks) and Huyton, Roby near Liverpool

*Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
Re: Charlotte LUNE
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham,

Here's a link to the virtual reference library, which is also the Toronto Public Library

http://www.virtualreferencelibrary.ca/

1984 really isn't that long ago.  Do you know if she married at all?

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline grlune

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 18:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Karen, I'll certainly check this website out. I am not sure at this point if she married - I am in in the process of obtaining her death certificate which if can't be found may indicate that she did marry providing a different line of enquiry.

VINCENT/HUNTER - Bloxham (Oxon), Kenilworth (Warks) and Huyton, Roby near Liverpool

Offline KarenM

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Grandpa Stanley has the hanky in his pocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 19:46 BST (UK) »
Trying to get birth and death certificates in the Province of Ontario is quite pathetic really.  It takes about 8 months.  My aunt has been waiting on my gr-uncle's birth certificate for over a year.  Even my own daughter, who is 6 months old, I still do not have a birth certificate for.  I have complained to my MPP, even the local tv station about it.  What gets me is that I can request a birth certificate over the internet on a Thursday and have it in my hands here in Canada by Wednesday.  Enough of me ranting, perhaps your death certificate will show up faster.

What about checking the papers for her obituary.  The Toronto Star is a popular one or The Toronto Sun, you have the year so that narrows it down quite a bit.  Here's a link to the Ontario Cemeteries

http://www.islandnet.com/ocfa/

Karen
Gandley (but known as Stanley in Canada)- Ireland to Birmingham<br />Ball, Kempson & Franklin - Birmingham<br />Shorter - Surrey<br />Dyer - Devon<br />Dawkins - Co. Cork, Ireland<br />Heffernan - Ireland
Huck - Alsace, France
Reinhart - Baden, Germany
Bowman & Ellis - England
Etheridge - Gloucestershire

Who all came to Canada in a little row boat, clap clap, clap your hands!!

Offline jeffH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 June 05 00:12 BST (UK) »
Graham,

On the collections Canada immigration database I see three other Lune family members on the same page: Charles, Gertrude and young James. Do you know how they are related to your Charlotte?

I feel Karen's frustration with our provincial government. I too have waited over 8 months for a death certificate. After waiting a year to get my daughters birth certificate, we were able to get her passport in only two weeks!

Jeff
Pembrokeshire - Harries and Blethyn<br />Somerset - Wilkins, Parsons and Ball<br/>Essex/Suffolk - Edwards and Smith<br />Morayshire - Younie and Mavor

Offline grlune

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 June 05 21:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Jeff

Thanks for the reply Jeff. Yes, I did notice that too - I think Charles was her brother, Gertrude his wife and I think  their son. I think Charles and Gertrude (with their son)  returned to England at a later date  but not sure when exactly.

Do you think having this info might help to trace Charlotte?

Best regards, Graham

Offline samthompson

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 June 05 14:56 BST (UK) »
Hello

use this site to search for people with the last name Lune in Canada - there are only 8 listed - maybe write a letter to them and see if there is a family connection

http://www.mytelus.com/phonebook/index.do

good luck

Thelma
Source: Library and Archives Canada's website (www.collectionscanada.ca)

Kilgannon, Chugg, Neutze

Offline grlune

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 June 05 19:08 BST (UK) »
Thank you Thelma.

Offline jeffH

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 25 June 05 04:42 BST (UK) »
Hey Graham,

Their complete entries on the passenger list should tell you their intended destination and perhaps some other intersting bits of info. Every little clue helps. Since it looks like she came with her brother and his family, it's likely she lived with them until she married or until they left. She may have died in Toronto, but there's no guarantee she lived her life there.

You should be able to borrow the passenger list microfilms from the Archives through inter-library loan. The database will give you the film and page number.

Regards,
Jeff

Pembrokeshire - Harries and Blethyn<br />Somerset - Wilkins, Parsons and Ball<br/>Essex/Suffolk - Edwards and Smith<br />Morayshire - Younie and Mavor