Author Topic: Burrishoole baptisms  (Read 3359 times)

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Burrishoole baptisms
« on: Tuesday 28 January 14 00:15 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone has access to the baptism records of Burrishoole.
I am looking at the transcribed records index on Rootsireland and can see 3 children born to :
John Johnston and Margaret Adair between 1850 and 1860.
Margaret 1850/ Catherine 1854/ John Duncan 1860

This is my problem....
The child named Margaret Johnston  b 1850 with these parents.

Her parents and  older siblings were all born, and still living in Lanarkshire at 1851 and there is no child named Margaret on the census?
The family moved from Lanarkshire to Co Mayo then onto Wisconsin USA  shortly after the birth of their youngest son in 1860.
On the US census records, the child named Margaret has Scotland (1851) as her place of birth.

The father did have a sister in Burrishoole, and it is possible that a child was born and died in Co Mayo, but this would suggest that they came back to Lanarkshire in time for the 1851 census, had another child named Margaret, and then went back to Ireland by 1854 for the birth of Catherine?

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Burrishoole baptisms
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 13:50 GMT (UK) »
I don't have access to the original documents but as the records are pre1864 they are most likely to be church records and not civil records

There is a possibility that the child was born in Scotland and was only formally baptised in Ireland
It would be unusual in those days not to baptise a child quickly but still possible

However as she was born in 1850 before the census perhaps she was left with her aunt and is the same child as described as born in Scotland in 1851

People were not always accurate with census returns
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Burrishoole baptisms
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks myluck,
That is what I initially thought too... until I checked my documents ect!
The father's sister was also still in Scotland and unmarried for the 1851 census.
 She married a local man 4 months later and they moved to Mayo between 1852 and 1854.

Until now, I thought that she was the Co Mayo anchor, but  based on the baptism of the child called Margaret....her brother  must have been there before her!