Author Topic: Agnes Fletcher  (Read 6246 times)

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Agnes Fletcher
« on: Tuesday 28 January 14 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi am back again!! Am trying to find out details on Agnes as she is the last on my list of women that came from Aberdeen and served with the Scottish Womens Hospitals during ww1.  There is a good chance i will dig out more tomorrow, but what i have is, she served as a nurse in Serbia during 1915-1916 she was taken POW by the Germans in 1916. Have more on her story with the SWH but need some background.  Many thanks, i know its not much to go on.

Alan
 http://scottishwomenshospitals.co.uk

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Fletcher
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 January 14 23:06 GMT (UK) »
There is a likely candidate on the 1901 census - Agnes Fletcher aged 25 b Peterhead Aberdeen working as a nurse at the Royal Infirmary in Perth
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Agnes Fletcher/ Jessie Scorgie
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 11:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi and thanks for trying, having looked into her personal files am not sure she was even from the north east, that of course could be wrong. she was friends of a Jessie Scorgie and served with her she was also a POW  and  served in Serbia, not sure of her address but has in Aberdeen in 1915. Can anyone help?

Many thanks the folk on here have been fantastic.

Alan 

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 16:36 GMT (UK) »
I have Jessie Scorgie living at 128 spital st, Aberdeen.

many thanks
alan

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 16:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi Alan

All a bit of a stab in the dark with so litte info...but we understand a little of what you are trying to achieve, so everyone always tries to help further.

Re Jessie Scroggie, wondering whether this 1901 census entry is connected for her:

John Scorgie 45 boilermaker b. Aberdeen
Susan Scorgie 43
Christina Scorgie 22
Susan Scorgie 20
Jessie Scorgie 15 dressmaker b. Aberdeen
Agnes Scorgie 12
John Scorgie 7
William Scorgie 5

Address: 33 Spital, Aberdeen Old Machar

Wondered whether this 1901 census address might connect to family and the address you mentioned: 128 spital st, Aberdeen. Any clues as to when this address was used for Jessie? We could try looking at online post office directories by address/surname to see what shows maybe.

Monica

Added: This is Spital in 1911-12 www.archive.org/stream/postofficeaberde191112abe#page/716/mode/2up Not everyone/business or personal is listed but always worth checking nevertheless.
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 17:23 GMT (UK) »
Ahhh...we are on the right Scorgie track at least.

There are online trees for John Scorgie and wife Susan Allan. He died in 1913...at 128 Spital, Aberdeen. His son John reported his death.

Family show at 128 Spital from at least 1905 when daughter Christina married.

Mother Susan also died at 128 Spital in 1933. Family residing there for a long time therefore. As with father, son John reported her death.

Easy refs here www.angelfire.com/ny4/peterhead/d0012/g0000035.html#I00167 or http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/igm.cgi?op=GET&db=wrayt&id=I0351

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 17:55 GMT (UK) »
Sure you have this Alan...but found it very emotive  :-\ http://scotlandonscreen.org.uk/database/record.php?usi=007-000-000-019-C

Makes the women you are researching very real...in that 21st C way where we are all so visual.

Monica

Offline SWH1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi, yes i have seen it but thanks for posting it. I have a particular interest in the women that came from Aberdeen as both my grannys came from the area( Finzean and 104 broomhill rd). And thank you for adding to there story's. If i can help to bring back to life, these's incredibly brave women for even if it is for a short time then i will have done what i set out to do.

Alan

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 29 January 14 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Not sure you have, what you need for Agnes Fletcher (was she visiting/lodging at the Scorgie household maybe?) but I think there is something there for you to follow up on the Scorgie side for Jessie.

Just curious (my middle name apart from Guadalupe  ::)) but what sort of records are you looking at for these women? I am used to seeing WW1 service/attestment papers for the men, but not sure what records are available for these women.

Were they trained nurses etc? Were they also volunteers without necessarily medical training and linking to the Red Cross and other initiatives and efforts?

Monica