Author Topic: Huston/Houston  (Read 6322 times)

Offline Elizabeth Garrett

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Huston/Houston
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 13 December 22 20:40 GMT (UK) »
The people mentioned by Nathjames are definitely my husband's family as mentioned in post above. The link between his g-g-grandfather James and Rachel HUSTON who emigrated to Australia (and her sister Margaret) is now DNA-proven. Lots of linked families out there!

Offline quantum1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 09:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi Elizabeth,
I’m a cousin of Nathan. My great grandparents and Nathan’s great great grand parents were Rachel Huston from Castledawson and Henry Rogers from Laragh, County Cavan. Margaret Edgar née Huston was Rachel’s sister although DNA matches suggests she was a half sister. James Huston/Houston was the brother of Rachel and Margaret. I believe their parents were John Huston and Margaret McGurk/McCork (most likely a spelling error on Rachel’s marriage certificate). Do you have anymore information about the family?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Hello. The post further back under the name Summerliz is also mine. I was having a look at this part of the family (actually, my husband's family, not mine) before Christmas. Re John HUSTON/HOUSTON and his wife Margaret: there are death registrations. John's is 19 Jan 1876 at Leitrim, Castledawson - "old age and infirmity a long time, no medial attendant", death registered by John Houston, present at death. Age given as 78, occupation shoemaker. For Margaret, the date of death is 16 Dec 1887, bronchitis 3 wks, no medical attendant. Age 80, widow of shoemaker. Registered by daughter Jane, present at death. I found this John and Jane sharing a household in the 1901 census, at Leitrim, Castledawson. John was then 50, single, shoemaker and farmer. Jane was 60, single, sister, housekeeper, can read, Church of Ireland.

It's possible that John and Margaret's family also included a son Thomas. There was a notice in The Age newspaper, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia on 25 Jan 1887 that read: "If this should meet the eye of Rachel Huston of Castledawson, Ireland, call immediately to see your brother Thomas at Antonio's Hotel, Wharf'.

Hoping this is of interest.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 14 February 23 17:40 GMT (UK) »

...there are death registrations. John's is 19 Jan 1876 at Leitrim, Castledawson - "old age and infirmity a long time, no medial attendant", death registered by John Houston, present at death. Age given as 78, occupation shoemaker.

Here's the link-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1876/020599/7227810.pdf

John Houston died 17 January 1876.
Cause of death: Old age & Infirmity, a long time, Uncertified, No Medical Attendant

For Margaret, the date of death is 16 Dec 1887, bronchitis 3 wks, no medical attendant. Age 80, widow of shoemaker. Registered by daughter Jane, present at death.

Link-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1887/06200/4773388.pdf

I found this John and Jane sharing a household in the 1901 census, at Leitrim, Castledawson. John was then 50, single, shoemaker and farmer. Jane was 60, single, sister, housekeeper, can read, Church of Ireland.

Link-
1901 census
House 14 in Leitrim (Castledawson, Londonderry).
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Londonderry/Castledawson/Leitrim/1542048/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai000639292/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 19 February 23 15:46 GMT (UK) »

I found this John and Jane sharing a household in the 1901 census, at Leitrim, Castledawson. John was then 50, single, shoemaker and farmer. Jane was 60, single, sister, housekeeper, can read, Church of Ireland.

This might be the death of Jane Hueston at Leitrim in 1903. The informant was John Hueston, her brother.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1903/05649/4590225.pdf

https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/loughinsholin/ballyscullion/castledawson/leitrim/

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 19 February 23 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. I think that is very likely to be correct - I'd have little reason to doubt it. The spelling of the surname is very variable!

Offline George E. H. Haydock

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 July 23 04:54 BST (UK) »
Hi every one,
My grandfather was Albert Houston (married ) Martha Earle.
They last lived at Alliance Road Belfast Ireland My mother was Olive Houston  She dad 2 sisters
and 3 brothers sure more information will be found on 1911 census  Houston Belfast.
I was named after my Uncle George Earle HOUSTON.
Cheers George Earle Houston Haydock....

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 28 July 23 08:46 BST (UK) »
Hi every one,
My grandfather was Albert Houston (married ) Martha Earle.
They last lived at Alliance Road Belfast Ireland My mother was Olive Houston  She dad 2 sisters
and 3 brothers sure more information will be found on 1911 census  Houston Belfast.
I was named after my Uncle George Earle HOUSTON.
Cheers George Earle Houston Haydock....

Albert at home with his family, just prior to his marriage on 16th April 1911:

http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Woodvale/Eastland_Street/178875/

Note that Albert is recorded as 19 on census, yet 22 on marriage.

Albert and Martha were living at 130 Cupar Street when your mother was born in the maternity hospital. Before that, when George Earle Houston was born in the Maternity Hospital in 1912, Albert and Martha were living at 15 Wilton Street.
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 July 23 09:13 BST (UK) »