Author Topic: 1901 Look up in Berwick by address please  (Read 2263 times)

Offline jimmyv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
1901 Look up in Berwick by address please
« on: Tuesday 21 June 05 00:21 BST (UK) »
I would be grateful if someone could look up the George Inn, Church Street, Berwick upon Tweed in the 1901 census please.  As it is an Inn there may be a lot of names recorded so to narrow it down a bit my reason for interest is that my Great Grandfather George Erswell was the Innkeeper in 1908 according to my Grandmother's marriage certificate.  Other surnames that I am interested in are "Storm", "Patterson" and "Veale".  Many thanks.
Veale; Erswell, Storm (Berwick upon Tweed, Whitburn, Co Durham; Leith, Edinburgh; Holywood, Co Down; Aberdeen and NE Scotland, Elgin) Dearing (Bucks), Woodford (Bucks)

Offline josimpson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: 1901 Look up in Berwick by address please
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 June 05 17:51 BST (UK) »
I have just looked for George Erswell in 1901, there is one in Thornley Durham, Hartlepool St. and is listed as a Club Steward aged 52 born Chelsea London. Does that sound like him?
George H Erswell, 52, Club Steward, London Chelsea.
Eamma, 46, Halifax Nova Scotia
Laura M, 19, Gibralter British settlement
Francis A, 16, Woolwich
Emma, 12, Berwick on Tweed
Charles J, 10,  ,,
Mabel M, 7, ,,

RG13 4685 Folio 163 Page 53
Jo  :)
Shaw, Simpson, Chaytor, Blackburn, Round, Wain, Lawrence,

Offline jimmyv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 09:16 BST (UK) »
It certainly does and has provided an awful lot more information than I thought possible.  I have only just sarted this hobby and am aware that one must not leap to conclusions but the Canadian connection is illuminating and my grandma's wedding certificate states that her father was an Army Pensioner and an Innkeeper in 1908.  Francis's birthplace as Woolwich points me towards the Royal Artillery.  Many thanks.
Veale; Erswell, Storm (Berwick upon Tweed, Whitburn, Co Durham; Leith, Edinburgh; Holywood, Co Down; Aberdeen and NE Scotland, Elgin) Dearing (Bucks), Woodford (Bucks)

Offline Selina

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 02 January 06 10:47 GMT (UK) »
I also research the Erswell families and have been collecting information on them for many years.  I do have quite a lot of details about your branch but  have not found a connection between them and mine (from Saffron Walden, Essex).
It is some time since you posted your original query so you may have made lots of progress since then but just in case you have not yet done so, I recommend that you log on to www.rootsweb.com and look for Erswell under the Family Trees - you will find someone there posting your tree.  If I can help with any other details please ask.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jimmyv

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 January 06 13:57 GMT (UK) »
 :)Thank you for your interest.  I found this family tree some time ago and got inn touch with the person originating it. He is a second cousin (we share great grandparents). His father who is in his 80s has provided me with a lot of information regarding my grandparents.  I have also been able to get in touch with long lost cousins thanks to him. It has been a great experience and I am continuing my research particularly back throught he Velae male line.  Regards, Jimmy.