Author Topic: JELLYHILL FARM - Cadder  (Read 18251 times)

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
JELLYHILL FARM - Cadder
« on: Tuesday 21 June 05 00:55 BST (UK) »
I have collected all the 1881,1891 and 1901 census info for Jellyhill Farm and Jellyhill Rows (Miner's Cottages) if anybody has a relative living there in these times.

Lindsay
MORRISON - Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
HEWITT - Wigtownshire, Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

All census information Crown Copyright

Offline ron_dem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: JELLYHILL FARM - Cadder
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 February 06 20:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindsay:
I would be interested on anything you have on a family headed by Milson Davi(e)s and his wife Elizabeth. One of their daughters was born in the Jellyhill miner's row. in 1906. her name was Mary Margaret Fisher Davi(e)s.
Dempsey, Hampton, Bon(n)ar, Wilson,
Stewart (2) Wilson (2) Barclay, Watson, Meldrum, Brand (2), Kinloch, Nicol, Brown, McNeillis, Gallocher, O'Donnell (2), Harper, Main,  Thomson, Donnelly,

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 February 06 01:51 GMT (UK) »
Hello ron_dem,

They are not at Jellyhill between 1881 and 1901 so they must have moved there between 1901 and 1906 when Mary Margaret was born.

In 1901, they lived at Brown's Land, Bishopbriggs, Cadder - Jellyhill was also Bishopbriggs.

Milson Davies (with the E), aged 40, married, an Ironstone Miner born in Gloucestershire, England living with

Elizabeth Davies, wife, aged 28 (I think?) born in Springburn, Lanarkshire
Eliza Smith Davies, daughter, aged 6, scholar born in Auchinairn, Lanarkshire
William Davies, son aged 5, born in Bishopbriggs, Lanarkshire
John Davies, son, aged 3, born in Bishopbriggs, Lanarkshire

Incidentally, do you have this info?

A Milson of the right age'ish appears on the 1861 Census in West Dean, Gloucestershire, England

William Davies, aged 37, head, a Coalminer born in Newland, Gloucs
Sarah Ann Davies, wife, aged 30 born in Newland, Gloucs
William Henry Davies, son aged 7, born in East Dean, Gloucs
Milson Davies, son aged 4, born in East Dean, Gloucs
Rosa Ann Davies, daughter, aged 2 born in East Dean, Gloucs

The 1871 and 1891 census in England have also 1 Milson Davies each, not yours but from the same area so maybe a family name?

In 1881,  Milson is a  21 year old coalminer living at 33, Brick Row, Wemyss, Fife,  Lodger to James Russell (36), his wife Mary Russell (37) and their daughter Sarah (2). The Russells were all born in England.

regards,

Lindsay

STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

Offline ron_dem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 05 February 06 02:38 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Lindsay I am impressed.
I had most of the Scottish census reports  that you so kindly sent. I was hoping that a little more information was forthcoming with the Jelly hill address.
Milson has proved elusive in the Gloucestershire area . I just this very week received the information of him on the 1861 census. I am wondering what happened to his parents and any documentation on his parents prior to Milson's birth.
The Davies is the maternal links for a friend of mine for whom I am doing research.
 I know Jelly hill area since my own grandparents moved thier in 1921  and I was raised in Auchinairn.

Thanks so kindly for all the information .
Stewart (2) Wilson (2) Barclay, Watson, Meldrum, Brand (2), Kinloch, Nicol, Brown, McNeillis, Gallocher, O'Donnell (2), Harper, Main,  Thomson, Donnelly,

Offline aeroqueen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 05 February 06 05:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lindsay
would you be kind enough to have a look for Zuill/Yuill & Martin surnames for me
thankyou
kind regards aeroqueen

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 06 February 06 05:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello Aeroqueen,

Sorry I didn't find anybody with those names at Jellyhill.

regards,

Lindsay
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 06 February 06 06:08 GMT (UK) »
Milson has proved elusive in the Gloucestershire area . I just this very week received the information of him on the 1861 census. I am wondering what happened to his parents and any documentation on his parents prior to Milson's birth.

I am wondering if this might be Milson's father in 1851?

Mary Davies, Head, married, aged 55 born in Lydney, Gloucs,living with

her sister, Elizabeth Cheese, aged 53 and unmarried, also born in Lydney,
21 year old William H. Davies, unmarried, born in Newland
17 year old Kitty Higgins, unmarried, a house servant born in Newport, Wales (Mons)

There are no occupations given other than Kitty's. I imagine Mary's maiden name was Cheese also as her sister is unmarried. Does this ring any bells?

Interesting about your grandparents, what is their surname? They arrived in Jellyhill just about the time that mine seem to have disappeared ...  my 2G grandfather, Andrew Gibson became the Farm Manager at Jellyhill Farm after the death of John Craig, the owner, although he and his family had lived and worked there since about 1880. My 2G grandfather died in 1903 but some of their children were still there after this, at least until 1923 when one of his sons married there. Apart from my G Grandmother who was born at Jellyhill, I don't know where the others went to.

As you lived in the area, you will probably know that there is not much left now, I saw it in April last year, there were just 3 or 4 buildings - the Farmhouse and some barns/outbuildings. Jellyhill Cottages and the miner's rows were all pulled down but I don't know when. It was still in use as Nursery or Depot for one of the Corporations. The people working there told me that one time it supplied all the plants etc. for the public parts of Glasgow.

regards,

Lindsay

STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 06 February 06 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Just noticed your list of surnames - where did your Kinlochs come from? Do you have a Margaret Kinloch that married a Robert Hewitt in 1882 in Old Monkland by any chance?

Also where are your Meldrums from?

regards,

Lindsay
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

Offline ron_dem

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 00:05 GMT (UK) »
Lindsay:
My Kinlochs and my Meldrums are from Kincardineshire, all my Scottish side is from the Northeast. My father's side were famine Irish and mostly coal miners.

My grand parents Edward (Ned) Dempsey and Sarah Logan (Bonar) Dempsey settled at 47 Hilton Terrace ( I think ) in 1921. He was a mining contractor, he hired others as well as his sons, one was my father Neil who arrived there at age 14. 

The Margaret Davies whom I originally asked about b. 1906 married John Forrest Armstrong, one of the Armstrongs I was asking about on the Dunbartonshire post.

I was so very pleased that you sent me the 1861 census with a Milson 4 years of age.  However, I have just received another census from another kind poster on another board who has this paricular Milson at 8 mo in West Dean. which seems to fit with later census reports. Also we know that Milson parents were William Davis and Elizabeth Smith. Look at Milson eldest daughter on the 1901 census.

I attended Auchinairn primary 1953 to 1958 and I had a Tom Gibson in my class and he had an older brother named Andrew,  would they be related?

If they are I have their class pictures in 1959 if you are interested.

Lastly, I have two maps of the area more predominatly in Mavis Valley, in 1898 and 1933. I will gladly send them to by e mail as they are too large for this venue.

thanks again
Ron Dempsey