Author Topic: JELLYHILL FARM - Cadder  (Read 18250 times)

Offline Linzi.com

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: JELLYHILL FARM - Cadder
« Reply #36 on: Wednesday 13 March 24 00:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi there ok don’t want people to think am crazy av recently moved into the new apartments built at jelly hill Bishopbriggs ! Am actually an empath with a gift and iv spoke to someone with name Walter , someone with name Donald , Charlotte and Shelly at the moment I have no Clue who these spirts are and what they want help with does anyone know of any deaths near or around here that have these names at all ??

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 14 March 24 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Easy enough to look at the deaths index at www.scotlandspeople and see if any people with these names died in the Cadder registration district.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 14 March 24 22:38 GMT (UK) »
14 March 1941, the second night of the Clydebank air raids, an aeroplane crashed close to Cadder.

Online MollyC

• RootsChat Member
  • Preserving the past for the future
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Friday 15 March 24 10:18 GMT (UK) »
... the Campbells,  lived at Crosshill farm which was close to Jelly hill.  I've just received a copy of a letter from a nephew to my Great grandfather, dated 1946, and it mentions Jelly hill in it. 

This map shows Easter Crosshill Farm, near the NE corner:
https://maps.nls.uk/view/75498621  revised 1933, pub. 1938.

During the 2nd world war it became the HQ of the Glasgow region barrage balloon operation (RAF).  Shown in outline, but not labelled, here:
https://maps.nls.uk/view/188144469  c1930, provisional revision 1955.

The northern part of the site is now a prison.

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Friday 15 March 24 11:38 GMT (UK) »
I would suspect that there is no evidence to show that it really was Bishop's Bridges.  "Bishop Bridges" was probably an affectation taken from the local Scots dialect and put into Victorian English, of what they perceived it should be.

However, there is two possibilities for the original Bishopbriggs. The lands of Cadder did indeed belong to the Bishop of Glasgow since the mediaeval ages.

1. possiblity as established the Bishop bridge or brigg over the Kelvin water, or was it the Callieburn?.
2.  possibility is Bishop Riggs.  Riggs as in runrigs the lengths of arable lands for farming, that was in use prior to enclosed farming after the 18th century.
According to James B Johnston's Place Names of Scotland, it appears in a document in 1665 as Bishop Bridge and in 1666 as Bishop Brigs.

So if Johnston is right it can't be blamed on the Victorians :) and it isn't anything to do with rig(g)s.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Friday 15 March 24 11:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi there ok don’t want people to think am crazy av recently moved into the new apartments built at jelly hill Bishopbriggs ! Am actually an empath with a gift and iv spoke to someone with name Walter , someone with name Donald , Charlotte and Shelly at the moment I have no Clue who these spirts are and what they want help with does anyone know of any deaths near or around here that have these names at all ??

Hopefully now that they have told you their names, they will tell you what help they need

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Friday 15 March 24 14:42 GMT (UK) »
Perhaps we should all get around an Ouija board and hold hands?

I have already reported this preposterous post of 13th March to the moderator, who, so far, has not responded. If this sort of nonsense is to be allowed on this site, I for one, will be having no part of it.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline Linzi.com

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile