Author Topic: JELLYHILL FARM - Cadder  (Read 18249 times)

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: JELLYHILL FARM - Cadder
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 07 February 06 05:46 GMT (UK) »
Hello Ron, yes, please I would love to see the maps.

Andrew is certainly a family name in my Gibsons, the trouble is I don't know where the rest of my Gibsons would be, they are lost in that funny time period where you can't get anything from the census or SP death certs .... still Auchinairn might be a place to look.

Yes, 8 months is definitely closer to the right age in 1861 than 4. I don't know why I didn't see that one but if you want me to look for any more, please let me know. Actually, I had assumed that Eliza Smith Davies was named for Elizabeth's mother, not Milson's - in keeping with SNP, wrong again.

regards,

Lindsay

MORRISON - Dunbartonshire, Stirlingshire
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
HEWITT - Wigtownshire, Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

All census information Crown Copyright

Offline Okonski

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 17:59 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to discover when Bishopbriggs's name became corrupted - my maps of the area confirmed it was really called 'Bishop Bridges', and was part of the Cadder lands (and adjacent to Jellyhill). The best I can reach is circa 1880, does your Jellyhill research thow any light on the name used?

Offline ron_dem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 08 February 06 18:51 GMT (UK) »
I would suspect that there is no evidence to show that it really was Bishop's Bridges.  "Bishop Bridges" was probably an affectation taken from the local Scots dialect and put into Victorian English, of what they perceived it should be.

However, there is two possibilities for the original Bishopbriggs. The lands of Cadder did indeed belong to the Bishop of Glasgow since the mediaeval ages.

1. possiblity as established the Bishop bridge or brigg over the Kelvin water, or was it the Callieburn?.
2.  possibility is Bishop Riggs.  Riggs as in runrigs the lengths of arable lands for farming, that was in use prior to enclosed farming after the 18th century.

Dempsey, Hampton, Bon(n)ar, Wilson,
Stewart (2) Wilson (2) Barclay, Watson, Meldrum, Brand (2), Kinloch, Nicol, Brown, McNeillis, Gallocher, O'Donnell (2), Harper, Main,  Thomson, Donnelly,

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 09 February 06 00:38 GMT (UK) »
The 1894 Will of John Craig, the Farmer who owned Jellyhill Farm, says

Jellyhill Farm, near Bishopbriggs, Parish of Cadder

so it was before that ..

The 1881 census for Jellyhill doesn't mention Bishopbriggs at all, just says Jellyhill, Cadder and the birth certificate of my 2G Grandmother, who was born at Jellyhill, says  'Jellyhill in the Western District of Cadder'.

However when I rechecked the cert just now, I noticed another birth entry for a Walter Knox whose parents were married 18th June 1880 at 'Bishopbridge, Cadder'.   

regards,

Lindsay
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

Offline ron_dem

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 09 February 06 02:11 GMT (UK) »
I lean towards "riggs" as opposed to the briggs or bridges..

Just trying say Bishop Riggs and it can't help sound as though there a "b" in there.

From wikipedia, which can't be totally trusted.

The derivation of the name Bishopbriggs has caused some controversy over the years. Some prefer the explanation that it was named after ‘the Bishop’s Bridge’, supposedly that over the Callie Burn that runs through Bishopbriggs Park, whereas others believe the middle ‘b’ is a corruption. This, so the argument goes, appeared because it rolls off the tongue more easily than the original name of ‘Bishop’s Riggs’. In this alternative ‘riggs’ refers to the fields which the Archbishop of Glasgow raised teinds (tithes) from.
Dempsey, Hampton, Bon(n)ar, Wilson,
Stewart (2) Wilson (2) Barclay, Watson, Meldrum, Brand (2), Kinloch, Nicol, Brown, McNeillis, Gallocher, O'Donnell (2), Harper, Main,  Thomson, Donnelly,

Offline Okonski

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 11 February 06 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Strange - I had posted a reply debunking the 'Riggs/Tithe' myth and it's disappeared. There's no doubt, Bishopbriggs evolved from Bishops Bridge and appears in maps of the period from several sources - including, and thanks for that (!) the birth record.  Cadder was the prime location, with everything hanging from that... Bishop Bridge being simply a locality within Cadder district, rather than the other way around!  But I'm still no further in defining WHEN the corruption took place, the 1850's seems to be when it all went wrong, and long before the 'Villa Mansions' of railway fame were built in the area. (The owners of the villas got free railway travel).

Offline aeroqueen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 11 February 06 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Hello Lyndsey
just to say thankyou for having a look for my Yuill/Zuill & Martins
it was appreciated
kind regards aeroqueen

Offline LindsaySiam

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 12 February 06 14:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Aeroqueen,

If you have some more detail - names, dates, last known places etc, I don't mind having a look to see if I can help you to find them....

regards,

Lindsay
STIRLING - Stirlingshire
LINDSAY - Perthshire
MELDRUM - Fife, Angus
GIBSON - Lanarkshire
MEIKLE - Dunbartonshire

Offline atherleigh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 26 January 07 06:17 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
My ancestors, the Campbells,  lived at Crosshill farm which was close to Jelly hill.  I've just received a copy of a letter from a nephew to my Great grandfather, dated 1946, and it mentions Jelly hill in it.  I don't know if anyone out there is researching the Craig's from Jelly Hill but this is what the letter says:
(From Alistair Campbell to his uncle Robert  Campbell who lived at Cross hill farm, near Bishopbriggs, Lanarkshire)
"I do remember seeing Aunt Craig at Jellyhill,  but I have not been there since her death.  Aunt Craig gave me Uncle Craig's silver watch and as it turned out to be useless, she gave me another in its place..."
There is no more mention of Jelly hill in the letter, but I thought it was interesting that he called the Craig's 'aunt and uncle' showing that there must have been a close connection between the Craig's at Jellyhill and the Campbells at Crosshill, not necessarily a family one, but a friendship.

Again, I don't know if this is of interest to anyone... but I thought the connection was interesting.

Cheryl