Author Topic: Pallant's Grove Woodland Close to Friday Street  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Pallant's Grove Woodland Close to Friday Street
« on: Friday 31 January 14 18:37 GMT (UK) »
I have just learned that my 4 x Gt Grandfather John Pallant and his wife Abigail nee Keer, lived at  Rosehill (near the Friday Street Farm Shop) near Friday Street. I also see on maps, whilst trying to find more or less where they lived, that there is a small wood named Palant's Grove.

Is there any local knowledge as to how that wood came to be named so?

http://goo.gl/maps/a8gq4

The only census John and Abigail show up on together is the 1841;

HO107 1031 4 2

John died 1844.

Abigail shows up as a widow on the 1851

HO107 1082 658 9

The places they lived were both given as Rosehill.

I'd love to know more about this family.

Philip

Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: Pallant's Grove Woodland Close to Friday Street
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 February 14 16:47 GMT (UK) »
The Local History Recorder may be able to help, just trying to work out which parish it comes under - seems to be near Snape, near Behall and Sternfield, and near Farnham - if we can narrow it down might be able to help.

SM
Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 10 March 24 21:49 GMT (UK) »
Ten years after first finding out I had great grandparents named Pallant living in the vicinity of Pallant's Grove, I visited the woodland for the very first time a few days ago.

I am no further forward ascertaining which Pallant owned or leased the woodland for it to be named after them, but as soon as I walked into the woodland I knew what exactly it was used for. The trees have been coppiced, and quite recently, so my guess is the trees and harvested wood or slender stems of hazel and such like were used in such trades as basket making, hurdle making, and for scallops for thatching etc. and all manner of other uses. The stand of trees is somewhat smaller than it was, but still a wonderful experience to walk in the footsteps of my ancestors.

P

Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 10 March 24 21:52 GMT (UK) »
A broader view of the copse showing the coppiced trees.

P