Author Topic: Struggling to find birth/parents of Arthur Bezant  (Read 4853 times)

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Struggling to find birth/parents of Arthur Bezant
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 February 14 10:02 GMT (UK) »
Oh my goodness, what a wonderful response from EVERYONE on here to my query. Thank you all so much. Every time I have asked a question on this forum, (and that's not very often) it has come up trumps for me. Thank you.

It will take me a bit of time to carefully go through what everyone has said and sent; it does look a complicated family which, in a way, means it wasn't just me being silly and missing something simple.

Many thanks.
Kind regards
Suzie

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 February 14 10:36 GMT (UK) »
if you look at the divorce papers both Harriet and William are "Rout or Bezant"  William taking the name of his stepfather, presumably

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 February 14 10:42 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Mabel. I'll add that to my list!
Suzie

Offline Dizzifish

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 February 14 10:58 GMT (UK) »
Hello...  :)

A bit more, I looked for a burial for Arthur's father but there isn't one on the FHS burial index.

But I think this death is likely to be his.

Deaths Sep 1850   
TUCKWOOD  John - Nottingham  15 366

Nottinghamshire Guardian - Thursday 1st August 1850
Sudden Death in Nottingham - On Tuesday, and by adjournment on Wednesday, an inquest was held before Mr. Coroner Browne, on the body of JOHN TUCKWOOD, aged 35, butcher.
On Sunday night the deceased was on Parliament Street in a state of intoxication. A number of lads were teasing him, and he kicked at one of them, upon which they knocked him down. He then staggered to a friend's  house in Trumpet Street, and asked him to find him a night's lodging. He took him to a house of a man named Shelton, where he was put to bed.
He was immediately taken very ill, and Mr Maltby, surgeon at the Dispensary, was sent for. He found him suffering from an epileptic fit and applied the usual remedies, but the man died on Tuesday morning. A post mortem examination was made by Mr Maltby, who stated that there were no internal marks of violence.
Verdict: Died from effusion of water on the brain.

Sheila.

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 01 February 14 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Dizzifish
Well, thank you. I have just found a death on FreeBMD that fits with that.
John Tuckwood. 1850/3 Nottingham 15/366.
Great to have that snippet from the newspaper. That's what I call flesh on the bones!
Many thanks.
Suzie

Offline sw1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 01 February 14 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Hallo everyone who has helped in this.
Just thought I'd tell you I have spent most of the day looking for a marriage of Frederick Simon Bezant to Sarah Tuckwood nee Doughty. And I too give up! 

I found a possible death for a Frederick Simon Bezant. 1881 Suffolk aged 60 which gives a birth year of 1821 which fits with a birth of abt 1820 Ringsfield, Suffolk.

Also discovered Mary Elizabeth ROUT, his first wife, died 1879 Nottingham.

Sarah Doughty, who married John Tuckwood, was born to Thomas Doughty and Elizabeth Brewin; he was b 1783 Sutton Bonnington and Eliz born Loughborough.

John Tuckwood popped up in 1841 as a butcher in Nottingham in the household of Charles Holmes.

I'm just about done in now! But what wonderful stuff you all sent me. I am SO grateful.
Kind regards
Suzie