Author Topic: William Williams  (Read 2831 times)

Offline Ripper

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Williams
« on: Tuesday 04 February 14 19:29 GMT (UK) »
Is anyone doing the family history of:
William Williams born March 12th Baptised March 16th 1808 in Llandegla, Denbigshire. Parents Robert & Elizabeth?
Or does anyone have any information on the family?
Thanks in advance

Offline Colin D Gronow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits
    • View Profile
Re: William Williams
« Reply #1 on: Friday 14 February 14 11:53 GMT (UK) »
Ripper

Have you looked at the Parish Register entry: There are additional details & information regarding this child.
Colin.

Offline Ripper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 14 February 14 14:14 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Colin,
I've got the Parish records but what I need to know if he went to London in early childhood (the William I'm interested in went to London, was a hairdresser, married twice etc.....) but I've no idea how to prove it's this William Williams. In all the London research I've found about him he is stated as being born in 1808 and coming from N. Wales except for one reference which says Llandegla.
It's just getting the link!!!
Thank you again

Offline Colin D Gronow

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Member of the Association of Graveyard Rabbits
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 14 February 14 14:17 GMT (UK) »
No problem.

I just thought when you put Elizabeth?, you didn't know her maiden name.
Regards Colin.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 14 February 14 14:36 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Have you got information about his father Robert from his marriage certificates/entries?  That might be a clue.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Ripper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 14 February 14 16:01 GMT (UK) »
Hi Gadget & Colin,
I really haven't got Robert & Elizabeth's details, because I'm still trying to prove that William their son really is the William I'm interested in who went to London.
He married in 1828 to a Mary Douglas who came from Gainsborough in Lincolnshire. Their son ended up (after Mary died in 1832) living with a family in London, the wife of this family was born in Llandegla but I can't prove her maiden name (though I think it was possibly Jones)
It's a matter of "all roads lead to Llandegla!"
Thanks again for your interest.

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 14 February 14 17:15 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ripper

Can you give me details of William on one of the censuses so that I can look in more detail.  I've checked my Llandegla records (I have some Joneses from that area) and Robert is down as a Miner.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Ripper

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 February 14 17:43 GMT (UK) »

Today at 10:20:47 »    

Here we go..................

I'm trying to find out about a WILLIAM WILLIAMS who I believe was born in Llandegla, North Wales in 1810ish.

William Williams married Mary Douglas (born 1807 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire)
On August 5th 1828 at St Dunstan in the West

They lived in China Row, Lambeth.

CHILDREN:
Thomas Robinson Williams
Christened 5th April 1829 in Lambeth
He is in the 1841 census living with his mother’s relations Thomas Robinson (b. c1780 in Gainsborough, Lincolnshire) & his wife Elizabeth (b. c1780 in Llandegla) They lived in Harleyford Road, Lambeth. Thomas Robinson was a hairdresser/perfumer (this fact could be important) and the family seem quite well off as they have servants. In his Will Thomas Robinson owned quite a lot of property and left it all to Thomas Robinson Williams.
Thomas Robinson Williams went on to become a barrister and when he was called to the bar stated that his father was a William Williams (gent) from Llandegla.

The family then went to live in 17, Gravel Lane, Holland Street, Borough

ANOTHER CHILD:
Mary Ann Williams
Born November 6th 1830
Baptised January 2nd 1831
Address: Gravel Lane, Southwark
Parents: William & Mary Williams
Father’s occupation: Hairdresser

MARY ANN WILLIAMS
Died January 6th 1832
Address: Gravel Lane, Southwark
Aged 14 months

Then his wife died:
Mary Williams of Gravel Lane was buried at St Saviour Southwark on 26 July 1832, aged 25.
Their first child Thomas Robinson Williams then went to live with Mary’s relations in Lambeth, presumably so William could continue to work.

William was a hairdresser.

He then remarried an Ann Knight (he appears in the 1841 & 1861 census) I think he died  between 1861 & 71 as in the 1871 census Ann is described as a widow of a hairdresser.
Their children were:

THOMAS WILLIAM  born 27th May 1836 Christened June 19th 1836 Southwark St Saviours  Lived St Thomas,

MARY ANN                   Christened 1837      died 1845

ELIZABETH                   born 1839

JOHNATHAN                 born 1840

HUGH                           Christened 10th November 1842 St Bide, Fleet Street      died 1843

LUDWICK (Frederick)     born 1846

ELIZA                           born 1848

WILLIAM HENRY          born 1857 christened  27th October 1861 in Charterhouse St. Thomas Islington

The family had addresses at

21 Harp Alley
40 Great Sutton Street
15 Mount Pleasant
In 1871 Ann was in Barts Hospital where she described herself as a widow of a hairdresser. Frederick, Jonanthan & William were living nearby in in Rawnstorne Street, Clerkenwell.

Also although I’m pretty sure he was, I need confirmation that the William Williams married to Mary & Ann was the William Williams born  in Llandegla.

I've got loads more if you want it!!!!!!!

Thanks again

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 17 February 14 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ripper

Just to let you know that I've looked through quite a lot of records but can't yet get as far as William being the son if Robert and Elizabeth of Llandegla.  Have you thought that the Elizabeth married to Thomas Robinson might have been the  same Elizabeth?

It might be worth chasing her up. I'll see if I can find a marriage for Robert Williams and an Elizabeth.

Gadget